SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Diamond
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Diamond This forums is for discussing the user-created Diamond plugin for SageTV.

Old 07-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Sage Fanatic

Album Covers: Do They Slow Down List Population?

Sage was running *really* slow for me until I discovered the Props parm that made it delete orphan pointers in it's DB.

Now it's running pretty well, except for lists of DVDs and RecordedTV which populate and scroll slowly.

This becomes apparent when, for instance, the list is positioned at titles beginning with "A", I need to scroll down to "T", and I elect to do it by scrolling a page at a time instead of jumping directly by pressing one of the numeric keys.

After a brief flirtation with MyMovies, I accumulated a bunch of album cover .JPGs in my ripped DVD folders.

Before I jump to cause and start deleting them, I thought I'd ask: Could rendering/caching those cover images be slowing down the lists?
Storage: NetGear Ultra-6 NAS 10 TB total w/dual redundancy. Plus 5tb QNAP for RecordedTV.
Capture: 3 Silicon Dust HomeRun tuner boxes (6 tuners total)
Program Source: OTA antenna

Last edited by PeteCress; 07-08-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:47 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCress View Post
Sage was running *really* slow for me until I discovered the Props parm that made it delete orphan pointers in it's DB.

Now it's running pretty well, except for lists of DVDs and RecordedTV which populate and scroll slowly.

This becomes apparent when, for instance, the list is positioned at titles beginning with "A", I need to scroll down to "T", and I elect to do it by scrolling a page at a time instead of jumping directly by pressing one of the numeric keys.

After a brief flirtation with MyMovies, I accumulated a bunch of album cover .JPGs in my ripped DVD folders.

Before I jump to cause and start deleting them, I thought I'd ask: Could rendering/caching those cover images be slowing down the lists?
Hey petecress,

I think that MyMovies Collection Manager can be setup to create images named "folder.jpg" in each of the movie/dvd rip folders so that may have happened, then Sagetv will load them when using the default Video views (non Diamond) like "Titles", "Folders" and "DVD/BR" etc. I think those are loaded "realtime" from their location on your library drives when the view is opened and while scrolling so yes it will be slower.

Kind of sounds like this is an issue in the default Sagetv Video views not in any of the Diamond movie views. On the Diamond movie views (Cover Flow, List Flow, Wall, Category Flow, 360 Flow) the posters and bg images are cached locally using the Diamond API on the client PC and/or Server and should load pretty quickly from there.

Also, BMT can be used to save "moviename.jpg" poster files for all your movies from the batch menu and Sagetv default Video views will show these.

Hope this helps???

Jeremy
Old 07-12-2011, 05:33 PM
Sage User

I think I have a similar problem. I was using mymovies for all my folder art until recently started using bmt. The question I have is there an easy way to remove everything mymovies created?
Client3: HD300, hdmi to 60" Plasma
Client4: HD300, hdmi to 60" Plasma
Client5: HD300, hdmi to 46" LCD
Placeshifter: Used on multiple laptops
Storage: UnRaid Server 14tb
Old 07-12-2011, 07:21 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahouse View Post
I think I have a similar problem. I was using mymovies for all my folder art until recently started using bmt. The question I have is there an easy way to remove everything mymovies created?
Using the MyMovies Collection Manager under Tools/Options (at the top menu) go into the Metadata Storage section and then unselect everything you want to remove on the right side (folder.jpg, xxxx.properties files etc...). Then scroll to the bottom of the right side and select Update (or Clean?) and it should remove them. It's been awhile since I did this so maybe read the help first

Jeremy

Attached Images
File Type: jpg MMCM_1.jpg (63.3 KB, 602 views)
File Type: jpg MMCM_2.jpg (60.8 KB, 592 views)
Old 08-06-2011, 08:59 AM
Sage Icon

That's nifty. I didn't realize there was provision built into MyMovies to do that. Thanks for that!
Old 08-23-2011, 05:05 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
can you explain this "Props parm" and how to do this 'updating of the DB'?
thx.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:08 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikesquid View Post
can you explain this "Props parm" and how to do this 'updating of the DB'?
thx.
It's in SageTV.Properties. The original thread is http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56398

Code:
seeker/disable_root_path_existence_check=true
Take SageTV down, change the parm, then restart SageTV.

You don't need to flip it back: Sage will do that after it re-starts.

Caveat: Make sure that all the directories that Sage points to are online when you do this - otherwise links to files in them will be deleted.
Storage: NetGear Ultra-6 NAS 10 TB total w/dual redundancy. Plus 5tb QNAP for RecordedTV.

Last edited by PeteCress; 09-29-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:08 PM
Sage Aficionado

That's sweet! Thank you sir.

It never ceases to amaze me how "protected" the developers want us to be from these sorts of things.... Seems like a simple "a missing file is in fact not there" config button would let us, the users, decide how to handle such a situation.... I move things around all the time via windows and booger things up regularly... and I'm not smart enough to stop! So having an option to remove 0.00MB files automagically would have saved me eons of time.... I mean, it's just an option, why isn't it on a screen somewhere???
Old 10-03-2011, 08:51 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:

This post is just for the benefit of anybody who might be looking in to a similar situation.

I recently discovered that my HD200's would not render movies ripped to DVD format when the HD200 had to connect from a remote location over a DSL connection. Playback was hopelessly choppy.

OTOH, the same movie would play just fine when ripped to .MPG format.

Accordingly, I re-ripped my entire collection to .MPG and deleted all the DVD format rips (.VOB, .IFO, .BUP....).

At the same time, I deleted all the MyMovies .xml and .jpg files.

Guess what? Yep... local performance of the SageUI has gotten better... dramatically better.

It's mainly in the list by folders - which used to be irritatingly slow when scrolled page-by-page. Now it's almost instant - no perceptable pause when scrolling a page.

Takes extra time to rip to .MPG - especially if one wants to capture the special features, "About The Movie", and so-forth. But for me it looks like the best choice given that I want to view movies from afar.

Last edited by PeteCress; 10-03-2011 at 08:53 AM.