SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 07-04-2011, 12:24 PM
Sage Fanatic

"Compacting" Wiz.bin: Any Such Thing?

Over the months, my SageTV has gotten slow as death when moving between menus or even closing a recording and opening another. The little twirly hourglass-analog thingie just goes on-and-on.

Not knowing much of anything - but having subjected my Wiz.bin to what could be construed as cruel-and-unusual punishment (mainly moving shares around and renaming media links), it occurred to me that maybe Wiz.bin could use a Compact/Repair.

Is there any such thing?
Storage: NetGear Ultra-6 NAS 10 TB total w/dual redundancy. Plus 5tb QNAP for RecordedTV.
Capture: 3 Silicon Dust HomeRun tuner boxes (6 tuners total)
Program Source: OTA antenna
Old 07-04-2011, 12:40 PM
Sage Icon

They are using a proprietary format, so it is unlikely...
TbSageTV (1.02)/STVRemote (1.11): Monitor/control SageTV with a PlayBook 2
TiSageTV (1.64)/TiSTVRemote (1.09): Monitor/control SageTV with an iPhone/iPod/iPad
Old 07-04-2011, 12:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteCress View Post
Over the months, my SageTV has gotten slow as death when moving between menus or even closing a recording and opening another. The little twirly hourglass-analog thingie just goes on-and-on.

Not knowing much of anything - but having subjected my Wiz.bin to what could be construed as cruel-and-unusual punishment (mainly moving shares around and renaming media links), it occurred to me that maybe Wiz.bin could use a Compact/Repair.

Is there any such thing?
I had a similar issue once, it was caused because I moved some shares around that left "ghost" files in the SageTV database. Sage "protects" network files form being removed from the wiz.bin in the event of a network share temporarily going offline. In the event that a network file disappears and the whole share (import directory) is inaccessible, Sage keeps the files in the database so they're still there when the share comes back online.

This works great unless you intentionally move files. For me the actual cause of the problem was (I believe) the Comskip Playback plugin trying to access the comskip files for the "ghost" files on the non-existent share, causing the UI to essentially hang up as each file timed out.

What I ended up doing was creating bogus shares (same name as the original), that were empty, on another machine so Sage could see the files aren't there anymore and clean itself up.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:38 AM
SageTVaholic

IIRC there is some magic property that you can set and when Sage restarts it clears the wiz.bin of orphaned entries. I can't for the life of me remember the setting because it was a LONG time ago that the details were posted.

Maybe if you send a support request George, Andy, Qian or Jeff will remember it.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Code:
seeker/disable_root_path_existence_check=true
Though make sure all your files are online when you do it.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Code:
seeker/disable_root_path_existence_check=true
Though make sure all your files are online when you do it.
Based on a superficial 5-minute test, that seems to have done the trick.

I'm guessing two things:
  • The process takes awhile to run, so 100% completion might be a few hours away
  • Leaving the parm = True is a Bad Idea bc if the NAS goes offline while Sage is running, bad things are going to happen

Have I got it right on both counts?
Storage: NetGear Ultra-6 NAS 10 TB total w/dual redundancy. Plus 5tb QNAP for RecordedTV.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:01 PM
SageTVaholic

I don't think it should take any longer than the the normal time it takes to run a complete library scan, and Sage resets it to False when it's done.

At least that's what support told me when they suggested I run it to clear out my issues (course I had already used the "bogus share" method so I didn't actually try it).
Old 07-05-2011, 03:57 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
I don't think it should take any longer than the the normal time it takes to run a complete library scan, and Sage resets it to False when it's done.
Confirmed.

Thanks.