SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 05-18-2011, 11:33 AM
Sage User

Using SageTV with U-Verse or Comcast?

Hi all.

I've been reading a lot of U-verse and Comcast threads here but am still uncertain of certain things.

I currently have the HVR-2250 in my server.

I was thinking of only getting basic service and so my questions are:
1) Which service allows you to directly connect the cable into the 2250 without needing a box?

2) Since I only need basic service with no extra on-demand features, which service will allow me to not have to get the DVR service so that SageTV can completely take care of recording?

3) I have my house wired with cat5e. Will I still have some of the stuttering people have been reporting between the Sage server and a Sage client?

4) I love HD but have been reading that AT&T is only using their copper infrastructure to still get to your home and is not truly fiber. Is this accurate?

5) I'd like to be able to record any number of shows since I'll probably be putting in 3 2250s in my server. Would this be a problem with any of those services?

Anything else you guys can add that is related to my questions, please do share.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybye View Post
1) Which service allows you to directly connect the cable into the 2250 without needing a box?
Comcast will using QAM, but you are limited to locals only

Quote:
2) Since I only need basic service with no extra on-demand features, which service will allow me to not have to get the DVR service so that SageTV can completely take care of recording?
What do you mean by "basic"?

Quote:
3) I have my house wired with cat5e. Will I still have some of the stuttering people have been reporting between the Sage server and a Sage client?
Stuttering issues are more due to bad NIC drivers more than cabling. I have no issues with any of my clients.

Quote:
4) I love HD but have been reading that AT&T is only using their copper infrastructure to still get to your home and is not truly fiber. Is this accurate?
ATT compresses their feed quite a bit, but so does everybody else. The only way to find out is to test it.

Quote:
5) I'd like to be able to record any number of shows since I'll probably be putting in 3 2250s in my server. Would this be a problem with any of those services?
See answers above
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:58 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I'd like to be able to record any number of shows since I'll probably be putting in 3 2250s in my server.
Before you go off and spend a bunch of money on 2250s, take a look at the SiliconDust HDHomeRun. It's roughly the same price, but does not occupy a slot in your server. It's a network tuner, so it connects to the server via fast ethernet (or better).

The HDHomeRun does not support analog cable, so if you need that, you'd have to go with the 2250. Although I don't think that Comcast has analog cable channels any longer...
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 05-18-2011, 12:10 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
Comcast will using QAM, but you are limited to locals only
Ah bummer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
What do you mean by "basic"?
I only wanted local channels, and basic cable channels like The History Channel, AMC, Discovery, etc.

So I'm assuming that local does NOT include basic cable channels like I described above.

And if a box is needed, and from what I have been reading, then everything connects from cable-->box-->server-->TV, right? But if this is correct, then the only way to be able to have multiple recordings is by having multiple boxes attached to the server, or am I missing something from the equation?

And and thanks guys.

Hmm...and just to confirm, HD only comes digital through Comcast, right? I think I'm reading that channels under 125 are not digital but are also not HD. But if they are not HD then I guess I WILL need a box.

Last edited by Flybye; 05-18-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 01:13 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
Before you go off and spend a bunch of money on 2250s, take a look at the SiliconDust HDHomeRun. It's roughly the same price, but does not occupy a slot in your server. It's a network tuner, so it connects to the server via fast ethernet (or better).

The HDHomeRun does not support analog cable, so if you need that, you'd have to go with the 2250. Although I don't think that Comcast has analog cable channels any longer...
I have 1 2250 now, and being that it is digital, would I still need to get the HDHomeRun?
Old 05-18-2011, 02:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

I would check with your local Comcast. Mine here in Harrisonburg, VA still has the analog service. For how much longer I don't know.
Recording Drive's: 2 x WD WD4001FAEX (4 TB)
Tuner's: 2 x Ceton InfiniTV 4's
Clients: 3 x Nvidia Shield TV's; Spares: 2 x HD300's
SageTV v9.1.2.662 with OpenDCT v0.5.28
Java 1.8.0_111-b14 (32bit)
Old 05-18-2011, 04:31 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I have 1 2250 now, and being that it is digital, would I still need to get the HDHomeRun?
You don't need to get the HDHomeRun. I was simply mentioning it as an alternative choice. Almost everyone who owns one loves them, including myself. Since you already have a 2250, I would download the 21-day free trial of SageTV, hook everything up and try it out for yourself. You'll probably have a better idea of the direction that you want to head in after you have tried things yourself.

One other thing to consider. Many of us have a combination of cable and over-the-air into our SageTV setup, you'll find that the OTA HD channels have a better picture quality than cable, mainly due to the extra signal compression that cable companies use. Both the 2250 and the HDHomeRun can connect to an antenna to receive OTA broadcasts.
Miscellaneous: Multiple Sony RM-VLZ620 Universal Remote Controls
Old 05-18-2011, 06:43 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithAbbott View Post
You don't need to get the HDHomeRun. I was simply mentioning it as an alternative choice. Almost everyone who owns one loves them, including myself. Since you already have a 2250, I would download the 21-day free trial of SageTV, hook everything up and try it out for yourself. You'll probably have a better idea of the direction that you want to head in after you have tried things yourself.

One other thing to consider. Many of us have a combination of cable and over-the-air into our SageTV setup, you'll find that the OTA HD channels have a better picture quality than cable, mainly due to the extra signal compression that cable companies use. Both the 2250 and the HDHomeRun can connect to an antenna to receive OTA broadcasts.
Oh I've been running Sage TV since the beginning of the year. I Love it

Currently I do have OTA hooked up to it, but have been considering going cable to get the basic cable channels like History, AMC, Discovery, etc. Thing is I DO love HD, but it seams that HD cable stations are encrypted.
Old 05-18-2011, 06:59 PM
Sage User

Oh now I'm finding out about this ninja box that Comcast offers called the RNG110. I guess this really won't be a quick read.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:57 AM
SageTVaholic

If you want cable channels fro Comcast you can use either an hd-pvr of some kind of cable card if you wanted to try that. The new hdhr prime will record 3 streams at a time and costs around $250. As long as comcast keeps everything copy freely you would be good to go.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:04 PM
Sage User

Yep, I read a lot about the prime last night and it looks like it would be the way to go...assuming it can work perfectly with Sage!

I think I'll keep my options open and wait it out just a bit longer.