SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss customizations for SageTV version 6 and earlier, or for the SageTV3 UI.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:36 AM
Sage User

Lightbulb Squeezebox like functionnality?

Hi there,

SageTV looks well and good, but so does Squeezebox. A Squeezebox has several advantages over a SageTV extender:
  • It has a screen so that you can see what's playing
  • It has a remote control so that you can control the box with just the screen and the remote.
  • You can synchronize two squeezeboxes so that they'll always play the same thing (think two rooms with no doors - don't want different streams there)
  • There is a free iPhone app to control your music stream

So I was wondering if something like that could be coming to SageTV? I'm thinking of:
  • An audio-only extender, or at least an extender with an OSD. I don't want to turn on my TV when listening to music.
  • A way to sync two extenders so that they'll ever both play the same thing.
  • Having the remote + OSD enough to browse audio content (and why not video content as well)
Old 05-18-2011, 10:01 AM
Sage Advanced User

Hello,

excuse me, but your question sounds funny to me. I guess you want to have a Squeezebox with a SageTV sticker right?

Just buy what best fits your needs.

Eyk

Clients: HD200, MediaMVP
Capture Cards: Technotrend Budget S-1500 (DVB-S)

STVi for XMLTV icons
Old 05-18-2011, 10:09 AM
Sage Aficionado

SqueezeBox would be more comparable to a Sonos system than SageTV.

I would say squeezebox would be the cheap economy version of Sonos.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:50 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehanekla View Post
Hello,

excuse me, but your question sounds funny to me. I guess you want to have a Squeezebox with a SageTV sticker right?

Just buy what best fits your needs.

Eyk
Ok, I understand your point. There are two differences though:
  • I want a box that'll work with my server. Why installing Squeeze + SageTV on my server? Granted, it's not that big of a hassle.
  • I don't want two boxes sitting in every location I have a TV. They are expensive enough as it is. Plus, there's the pain of switching your amp's input whenever you want to switch from the HD300 to the Squeezebox.

Does it make more sense now? The HD300 + SageTV server are almost as functional as a SqueezeBox. But not quite. Having both (because I want sometimes TV and sometimes music) sounds like a big overkill. I'm not a millionaire ;-)
Old 05-19-2011, 07:06 AM
Sage Icon

Since you mentioned iPhone, have you looked into the web server for mobile or TiSageTV? It won't do the automatic sync between multiple boxes, but the rest seems fine...
TbSageTV (1.02)/STVRemote (1.11): Monitor/control SageTV with a PlayBook 2
TiSageTV (1.64)/TiSTVRemote (1.09): Monitor/control SageTV with an iPhone/iPod/iPad
Old 05-19-2011, 08:39 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonceur View Post
Since you mentioned iPhone, have you looked into the web server for mobile or TiSageTV? It won't do the automatic sync between multiple boxes, but the rest seems fine...
You are correct, these apps do work as a remote control and are enough to control the audio stream. The remaining part is syncing different clients.

I'd still like a small OSD on the HD300, but I can live with an iPhone only remote.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:44 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieroxy View Post
Ok, I understand your point. There are two differences though:
  • I want a box that'll work with my server. Why installing Squeeze + SageTV on my server? Granted, it's not that big of a hassle.
  • I don't want two boxes sitting in every location I have a TV. They are expensive enough as it is. Plus, there's the pain of switching your amp's input whenever you want to switch from the HD300 to the Squeezebox.
Does it make more sense now? The HD300 + SageTV server are almost as functional as a SqueezeBox. But not quite. Having both (because I want sometimes TV and sometimes music) sounds like a big overkill. I'm not a millionaire ;-)
As much as I love Sage, it's nowhere close to a Squeezebox for music.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:47 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieroxy View Post
I'd still like a small OSD on the HD300, but I can live with an iPhone only remote.
You could always consider a small LCD monitor/TV (hook up HD300 component outputs if the HDMI is occupied with the main TV). 15" ones can be had for ~$100. This is what I am doing and I personally prefer the nice, larger display over a small handheld display that I could easily misplace...
Old 05-20-2011, 03:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Agreed. I run both SB server and SageTV server software on my server, and yes, I have two boxes (HD-200 and SB3) in my living room.
If you REALLY want to have just one box, then you could build a PC with some virtualization software; run SageTV client on one virtual machine, and SqueezePlay or Softsqueeze one another machine. As for control and display - most people use remote controls of some sort, be it Android, iPhone or Logitech controller.
A cool thing would be if HD-300 could be made dual boot, and you could select whether you run native Sage extender image, or SB emulation. But this will never happen, I suppose.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:16 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by scanner95 View Post
A cool thing would be if HD-300 could be made dual boot, and you could select whether you run native Sage extender image, or SB emulation. But this will never happen, I suppose.
Never say, never...please check out this plugin HERE

Eddy

Automatic Power Off | Squeezeslave | DVB-S Importer | DVB Decrypter & Card Client | Tuner Preroll

Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~ Elbert Hubbard

Last edited by routerunner; 04-22-2013 at 07:51 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 09:28 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
If you're only talking about the analogue audio output of course

Automatic Power Off | Squeezeslave | DVB-S Importer | DVB Decrypter & Card Client | Tuner Preroll

Every man is a damn fool for at least five minutes every day; wisdom consists in not exceeding the limit. ~ Elbert Hubbard
Old 12-16-2011, 11:16 PM
SageTVaholic

Well actually I was talking about the management, organization, playback options (dynamic playlists anyone?). Sage is OK, but it doesn't have near the capabilities of Squeezecenter or J River Media Center.