SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:34 PM
Sage Advanced User

hardware vs software sage/roku/squeezebox

Now that Roku has opened up some of their software for developers I am curious as to whether it would be possible to run Sage on it (or run the roku sofware on a sage box)? I know there are all kinds of reasons it might not (licenses, etc.).

The reason I am asking is that I have been a loyal sage user for years. We have a very reliable and stable system that even my wife loves. But now I am thinking of adding a second TV and it seems like I am going to need a lot more hardware than I feel like I should.

Our current system consists of a sage server connected directly to our TV via HDMI. Audio goes through an amplifier. The server has slimserver installed which is used to listen to music on other PCs and an old squeezebox. We also use it a lot for internet radio. A roku device is attached to the TV and amp and is primarily used for netflix and pandora. I love all of the software and hardware. Everything is controlled through a programmed harmony remote.

As I contemplate adding a second TV and some kind of distributed audio (back deck, garage, etc.) over the next couple of months the hardware seems to be somewhat an impediment right now. Some of the new squeeze devices seem ideal for the music. The TV seems like it will require a combination of roku and sage HD300. But multiple boxes require more expensive TVs and programmable remotes, etc.

Is there any chance that the hardware in the different boxes (sage, roku, squeeze or anything else) that one box might run multiple software?
Old 09-08-2010, 05:51 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoChe View Post
Now that Roku has opened up some of their software for developers I am curious as to whether it would be possible to run Sage on it (or run the roku sofware on a sage box)? I know there are all kinds of reasons it might not (licenses, etc.).
Not really, while Sage has open APIs to their system for most things, their client/extender/placeshifter interface is proprietary and undocumented.

Not sure what, or if Roku has changed, but last I looked at them (a while ago) it seemed they were open in much the same way as Sage, ie APIs to extend stock functionality, but far from what's needed to port their software to other things.

Quote:
The reason I am asking is that I have been a loyal sage user for years. We have a very reliable and stable system that even my wife loves. But now I am thinking of adding a second TV and it seems like I am going to need a lot more hardware than I feel like I should.

Our current system consists of a sage server connected directly to our TV via HDMI. Audio goes through an amplifier. The server has slimserver installed which is used to listen to music on other PCs and an old squeezebox. We also use it a lot for internet radio. A roku device is attached to the TV and amp and is primarily used for netflix and pandora. I love all of the software and hardware. Everything is controlled through a programmed harmony remote.

As I contemplate adding a second TV and some kind of distributed audio (back deck, garage, etc.) over the next couple of months the hardware seems to be somewhat an impediment right now. Some of the new squeeze devices seem ideal for the music. The TV seems like it will require a combination of roku and sage HD300. But multiple boxes require more expensive TVs and programmable remotes, etc.

Is there any chance that the hardware in the different boxes (sage, roku, squeeze or anything else) that one box might run multiple software?
The only thing is a PC, and that brings with it it's own issues. Sage has some solutions/plugins for Netflix and maybe Pandora, so that might save you a roku. As for the squeezeboxes, I've got one, want more, and I really think nothing (save Sonos) could replace them. Sage and Squeezeboxen serve very different purposes and are IMO complimentary.