SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:32 PM
Sage User

Newbie needs help with necessary hardware/software/interconnects

(also posted in general discussions...not sure which forum was the right one for this issue)

hi there -

now that the holiday distractions are over, my next project is getting a sagetv system set up and running. i'm hoping to get some assistance and/or confirmation from you knowledgeable folks on what i need for the system, so i can buy everything at once and have as painless an experience as possible. please bear with me on the length of this message, since i'm trying to be as complete as possible.

and by the way, if there's already a good post or article on this issue, i'm happy to be pointed to that as well.

we have comcast cable service as our tv programming source and here's the functionality i'm trying to achieve:

1. centralized server that will hold the tv/video content

2. ability to record any two of the following possible types of source content: (a) sd channels from comcast, or (b) unencrypted hd programming (would love to be able to record other hd programming but based on what i've read that doesn't seem to be in the cards)

3. ability to view the recorded programming on any of 4 hd displays in the house (none are located near the server but there are wired network connections available near three of them...and the fourth one would need to be wireless but it's fine if it displays only sd quality)

4. the maximum load will be viewing up to 2 pre-recorded hd streams while recording 2 new hd streams (won't ever need to be watching more than 2 or recording more than 2)

5. ability to view recorded programming on one of the computers in the house

my questions fall into three categories:

1. the server. i need information on what would be good specifications for the computer that will act as the server (not necessarily just the minimum, but what would make things work smoothly). the computer i'm currently using as a basic media/data server is a somewhat old pentium 4 running at 1.8GHz with 1Gb of memory and a total of about 750Gb of storage. i also have another newer pc available that has a pentium 4 processor running at 3.0 GHz with (i think) 3Gb of memory. and if neither of those are good options, then i'm not opposed to buying a computer--i just need to know what specs to look for.

another option in terms of the server would be to go the mac route instead of the pc. i'd be willing to buy something like a mac mini if that's a better option than a pc. but i guess i was assuming that the pc might be easier just because it's been supported longer.

2. the other parts. i need a full parts/software list of what i'll need to get to make this work. i'm pretty sure i need (1) digital set-top box from comcast, (1) hdhomerun unit, (4) sage hd media extenders, (1) sagetv media center v6.2 for windows, and (1) sagetv placeshifter. is that right or do i need 2 of the comcast set-top boxes? and also i i don't really know how many tv tuner cards i need and which ones would be recommended.

3. the connections. i also need help in understanding how to connect the hardware together. i think i can figure out the interconnects for the media extenders at the tvs, so what i really need help with is the interconnects between the coaxial cable coming into the house and the server computer.

thanks!
tu