SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 05-01-2011, 08:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

Movie Organization is Aggrivating me!

OK,

I guess I'm still in the 'honeymoon' phase since its only been a month since I've purchased Sage, but certain things drive me nuts.

I have over 500 movies recorded from my years with BeyondtV, and I keep them safe on a network storage device. Now under sage, all those are found in VIDEOS section. However, any new movies I record under sage are found in my TV section, which is just fine...but even after I've transferred the actual file from the recorded location to my network drive, its still in the TV section. This just doesn't seem right. I'd like to clear out this TV RECORDINGS list. If I move a file from the recorded location to the network drive, I wish it would also move from TV RECORDINGS to VIDEO FOLDERS....is that too much to ask?
ASUS M4A79 Deluxe | AMD Phenom 9850 Black Edition | Sapphire Radeon 7750 | 52" Sharp LED LCD TV | Xonar Audio | 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR 1066 | 64GB SSD for Win10 64-bit | 1TB HDD for Local Recording | ASUS DVD Burner | Drobo 5N (3x4TB & 1x2TB) | Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 (8851)
Old 05-01-2011, 08:46 PM
SageTVaholic

There are lots of options for changing this - perhaps the best is to use the Diamond UI and set up a custom movie menu item that will include both "imported" and recorded movies.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

but why must i use a plugin to trick the software like that? it should just do it
why is it even like that?
ASUS M4A79 Deluxe | AMD Phenom 9850 Black Edition | Sapphire Radeon 7750 | 52" Sharp LED LCD TV | Xonar Audio | 4GB Kingston HyperX DDR 1066 | 64GB SSD for Win10 64-bit | 1TB HDD for Local Recording | ASUS DVD Burner | Drobo 5N (3x4TB & 1x2TB) | Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 (8851)
Old 05-01-2011, 08:50 PM
Administrator

I would like to ask you to check out the SageTV PDF manual that is installed with SageTV (also available to download separately). In it, there is a section that covers the video browser, including its option to treat imported recordings as either recordings or imported videos -- see page 94 of the v7.0 manual.

I think all new users should check out the PDF manual rather than ranting about something. There are probably lots of options you are unaware of.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:50 PM
SageTVaholic

I think you might be able to do this in the default UI but I don't know because I never use the default UI. The plugin has tons of nice enhancements, including a movie wall and is well worth trying out.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
I would like to ask you to check out the SageTV PDF manual that is installed with SageTV (also available to download separately). In it, there is a section that covers the video browser, including its option to treat imported recordings as either recordings or imported videos -- see page 94 of the v7.0 manual.

I think all new users should check out the PDF manual rather than ranting about something. There are probably lots of options you are unaware of.

- Andy
well, I have actually read that page ( and many others) but it won't help me...you see, I have my movies already seperated into folders on my network storage
//Kids Movie
//PG13+

and I personally put the new recorded movies into the correct folder myself.
now, on page 94 of the manual is says
Quote:
Choose whether recorded files found by SageTV in video import directories
should be considered to be recordings or imported videos. Imported video will be
displayed on this menu, while recordings will be listed on the SageTV Recordings
menu.
but this is where it doesn't make sense to me...the movies I've recorded earlier are now physically located on my network drive where all my imported videos are located...but they aren't listed with the rest of the imported videos, they are STILL listed in tv recordings...thats just not write.

i don't want all my videos on the network to show up under tv recordings...i want them to stay in video folders like they are...which means, if i put a tv recording in the imported directly, IT SHOULD BE LISTED IN THE VIDEO FOLDER with all the other imported videos as well, right?
Old 05-01-2011, 11:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Then you set that setting to treat them as Imports. the issue you are seeing is that sage embeds information in the recordings about the media. Upon importing those videos back into sage after the move/rename (you SHOULD rename the files), if it finds that embedded information, it will restore it to full recording status (if you leave the setting as default). Sage treats recording folders and import folders as the same. the only exception is that it will record to recording folders.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 05-02-2011, 06:06 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Then you set that setting to treat them as Imports. the issue you are seeing is that sage embeds information in the recordings about the media. Upon importing those videos back into sage after the move/rename (you SHOULD rename the files), if it finds that embedded information, it will restore it to full recording status (if you leave the setting as default). Sage treats recording folders and import folders as the same. the only exception is that it will record to recording folders.
the sage information is embeded in the title of the files or the video files themselves? I renamed the files just in case...how do i strip out the extra sage info if its in the file data itself? is there a way to make sage not put the info there?

when i record a new movie, i want it to record to the local hard drive and be accessible through the tv recordings section...after viewed, i move the movie to the network drive and would then like it to be accessible through the video folders (imported)

UPDATE:
after I changed the file name, I rescanned my imported directories...now, the movies in question are duplicated in TV RECORDINGS section and they still aren't listed in VIDEO FOLDERS
It makes no sense

Last edited by MrLarkins; 05-02-2011 at 06:35 AM.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:37 AM
Administrator

Please read the referenced section of the manual again because you have missed that it describes an option for you to set. As we said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Then you set that setting to treat them as Imports.
You don't need to rename files. You don't need to strip metadata. You need to change the option regarding how imported recordings are handled.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:19 PM
Sage Advanced User

are you referring to the part that says
"TV Recordings in Import Directories are:"
Choice 1 is Recordings
Choice 2 is Imports

is this what I'm looking for? because it is set to imports and my recorded movies are still in tv recordings, not video folders...

Last edited by MrLarkins; 05-02-2011 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:57 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLarkins View Post
are you referring to the part that says
"TV Recordings in Import Directories are:"
Choice 1 is Recordings
Choice 2 is Imports

is this what I'm looking for? because it is set to imports and my recorded movies are still in tv recordings, not video folders...
Yes. That means that they should be showing up as imports not recordings. Try changing the option to imports and running a sage scan to see if anything changes. It won't instantly change, you have to let sage rescan.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 05-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
It won't instantly change, you have to let sage rescan.
that may be what I'm waiting on...how come? why isn't it instantaneous?
Old 05-02-2011, 04:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLarkins View Post
that may be what I'm waiting on...how come? why isn't it instantaneous?
It has to realize that they should be put in a different place. It seems it has to do with changing the location in the metadata. If you look at how BMT handles imported content you can change anything imported to recordings, but it actually has to modify the metadata to let sage know that is what is happening. Best way I can explain it.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:50 PM
Sage Advanced User

ok, its been several hours...and I've made it scan imported folders twice...the problem remains...something isn't working as it should.
Old 05-02-2011, 09:01 PM
Administrator

As far as I know, changing that option will only affect newly found files in import directories, not those already imported -- they are already known, so they don't need to be updated during a new scan. You are only telling SageTV what to do with recordings it finds in import directories in the future.

So, try moving them to a non-import directory, perform a scan, wait until the scan is done, then move them back & scan again.

- Andy
Old 05-02-2011, 09:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Maybe try using bmt to take the recording property away? If possible...