SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:58 PM
SageTVaholic

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError? Anyone Else?

I've gotten this error a few times since the new beta cycle started. java.lang.OutOfMemoryError appears in my client log after a crash that ends up exiting sagetv completely. It rarely happens, but I'm just trying to find the root cause. I've searched around at the general consensus is that it is a general memory error and can be associated with heap or system memory. My system has 4gb of memory that hasn't gone over 51% that I've ever seen. My heap is set to 1200mb, but never gets over 900mb. Any of you java gurus know how to find the cause of this?
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:55 PM
Sage

The specifics of the OutOfMemoryError are fairly important. It indicates if it was out of java heap space, or out of native memory or out of thread space. If you're running a local UI + service mode; then you should also realize that means you're allowing it to use twice what you specify in the registry for the max heap size. So with that setting of 1200 you're allowing 2.4GB of memory allocation by SageTV. Even though the max has gotten to 900MB of usage; that doesn't mean you need your heap to be that large. The BEST way to verify that your heap size is not large enough is if you go into System Information and look at the JVM Heap Usage; then hit Delete a few times and back out of the menu and re-enter it. If the second & third values are equal; and the first value is very close to them; that means you're pretty much maxing out your heap and should increase it. Java will quite often keep allocating and using memory up to the maximum heap size even though it doesn't actually need to because it may not have garbage collected that unneeded memory yet (but it will garbage collect it before it throws an OutOfMemoryError).
Old 03-23-2011, 02:32 PM
SageTVaholic

Thanks for the reply. So let me see if I'm understanding this correctly. I have the server running sage in service mode on my server pc. My client is running the local ui. Is the heap size used for both together or each pc independently of each other? It sounds like from what you are saying that even though they are running on different pc's the heap is for both. I may have that wrong though. Could the memory error be due to the server running out of memory when the client has plenty?
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:42 PM
Sage Aficionado

I just installed 7.1.5 and noticed 2 Java out of memory errors as well. I checked system information and I had lots of JVM heap memory available as I have allocated 1.4 GB of memory to Sage. I assumed it was an incompatibility with one of the plugins so I have started removing plugins. (so far 2, CPU Meter and basic sleep timer) to see if this error goes away. I am at work so I haven't been able to check back and see if the problem has returned.
Old 03-23-2011, 03:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
Thanks for the reply. So let me see if I'm understanding this correctly. I have the server running sage in service mode on my server pc. My client is running the local ui. Is the heap size used for both together or each pc independently of each other? It sounds like from what you are saying that even though they are running on different pc's the heap is for both. I may have that wrong though. Could the memory error be due to the server running out of memory when the client has plenty?
If they're on separate machines, then it's all independent. Each will use what you have specified as the max on each machine. And whichever system you got the error on was the one that ran out of memory.

But as I said before; letting us know the specific details attached to the OutOfMemoryError in the log file will help a bunch in determining the actual cause.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:47 AM
Sage Aficionado

In my particular case uninstalling the 2 plugins I mentioned seems to have eliminated the problem (At least for now)
I have since re-installed the "basic sleep timer" plugin and haven't seen the problem recur yet so it may have been related to the CPU Utilization plugin
Old 03-24-2011, 11:27 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrament055 View Post
... so it may have been related to the CPU Utilization plugin
What OS are you using? The CPU Monitor Plugin has many users and I've never seen this issue.

Thanks,

Tom

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:45 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrament055 View Post
In my particular case uninstalling the 2 plugins I mentioned seems to have eliminated the problem (At least for now)
I have since re-installed the "basic sleep timer" plugin and haven't seen the problem recur yet so it may have been related to the CPU Utilization plugin
And until you uninstall the sleep timer and reinstall the CPU plugin and confirm that the problem returns you still can't really say that it's the CPU plugin itself. It could be an interaction between the two or it may not be the CPU plugin at all. You need to install the CPU plugin on its own and try to reproduce the problems. If you can do that, then remove it and ensure the system is back to normal. Preferably, repeat this a few times to confirm and then once you do contact the CPU plugin author with details of your findings.
STB Controller: 1 x USB-UIRT
Software:Java 1.7.0_71; SageTV 7.1.9
Clients: 1 x HD300, 2 x HD200, 1 x SageClient, 1 x PlaceShifter
Plugins: Too many to list now...
Old 03-24-2011, 11:49 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
If they're on separate machines, then it's all independent. Each will use what you have specified as the max on each machine. And whichever system you got the error on was the one that ran out of memory.

But as I said before; letting us know the specific details attached to the OutOfMemoryError in the log file will help a bunch in determining the actual cause.
Here is the log file. I sent the same to support and was told that I was out of system memory. I have never seen it go above 51% memory usage for the whole system (as stated above). Let me know what you think.
Attached Files
File Type: zip sagetvclient_0.zip (121.1 KB, 163 views)
Old 03-24-2011, 11:52 AM
Sage Icon

What does pressing delete in the system info screen actually do? Does it initiate a JVM garbage collection? I ask because Support asked me to do this while troubleshooting my Colossus issue.

S
Old 03-24-2011, 11:56 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleonard View Post
What does pressing delete in the system info screen actually do? Does it initiate a JVM garbage collection? I ask because Support asked me to do this while troubleshooting my Colossus issue.

S
I think so. I did it yesterday and my heap size decreased significantly. It did go back up as soon as I started going through menu's again.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:18 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Here is the log file. I sent the same to support and was told that I was out of system memory. I have never seen it go above 51% memory usage for the whole system (as stated above). Let me know what you think.
You've got many plugins installed: Diamond, SageMyMovies, Ortus, Phoenix Fanart, CommercialDetector and their dependencies. Many of these are memory intensive so it could be that the CPU Monitor is just the straw that broke the camel's back. Probably removing any one of them will cause your OOM to go away.

It's running out of memory processing "Appaloosa.jpg". There is a slim chance that there is a problem with that .jpg so you can try deleting it to see what happens.

My guess is that it's not the CPU Monitor Plugin by itself, but rather an interaction of the plugins.

Try installing the Java Heap Monitor plugin so you can visually see how much Heap memory you are using. My gues is that it will be a lot. (The Java Heap Monitot plugin takes virtually zero heap memory.)

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

Sorry guys I didn't mean to imply that the CPU meter plugin was the source of the problem but I wanted to point out that after I removed both plugins then re-added the one my problem did not return. It is also possible that a combination of plugins was the root cause.

I've had all the same plugins working just fine under Sage 7.0.23 so my assumption was it was related to the update. I was less willing to uninstall the commercial detector plugin or a couple others so I thought I'd reduce my memory foot print by removing one I could live without.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
What OS are you using? The CPU Monitor Plugin has many users and I've never seen this issue.

Thanks,

Tom
Windows 7 64 Bit with 6 GB of physical memory in the box JVM heap size set to 1.4GB
Old 03-24-2011, 01:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
My heap is set to 1200mb, but never gets over 900mb.
I just saw this. I'm not a Java guru but I don't think the JVM likes it when the heap is set to greater than 1000MB.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:39 PM
SageTVaholic

In quickly looking at your log file, there is definately something with the Appolosa image. It is getting an OOM at a rate of 100+ times a second while trying to load it. This is being done from a background thread 'BGLoader2', so i'm not sure if this is sagetv or another plugin, it may be that the backgound process is going into an endless loop trying to load a bad image, and the garbage collector can't keep up.

For now, I'd definately try to blow away the image.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:23 PM
Sage Advanced User

Maybe it would be a reasonable feature request for SageTV to be designed not to require arbitrary memory settings that need to be manually configured by the user.

I mean, determining ahead of time how much memory you think your application is going to use reminds me of System 7 (before it was called Mac OS 7 ). This sort of manual memory configuration should be left to the dustbin of history. If you need more memory, malloc some and let the GC return it to the OS when it's no longer needed. If you run out of RAM, the OS will decline to give it to the application when it asks for it. You should only get this error if your memory (and virtual memory) are full!

What year is it again?
Old 03-24-2011, 03:06 PM
SageTVaholic

We have Seen this in diamond from time to time and it is logged. It very well could be bad images trying to load in a loop, but we haven't found the cause just yet.It is being thrown from a background thread trying to load the fanart, but the thread should be killed not sure why it is looping in your log like that.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:09 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audacity View Post
Maybe it would be a reasonable feature request for SageTV to be designed not to require arbitrary memory settings that need to be manually configured by the user.

I mean, determining ahead of time how much memory you think your application is going to use reminds me of System 7 (before it was called Mac OS 7 ). This sort of manual memory configuration should be left to the dustbin of history. If you need more memory, malloc some and let the GC return it to the OS when it's no longer needed. If you run out of RAM, the OS will decline to give it to the application when it asks for it. You should only get this error if your memory (and virtual memory) are full!

What year is it again?
Without getting into the technical specifics... SageTV is written on top of virtual machine (Java), and as such, a fixed amount of memory is allocated to that virtual machine. SageTV ships with more than enough memory to accomodate itself, but it can't be expected to be configured allow for an unlimited number of plugins??

Ironically, for system security, isolation, etc, virtual machines are becomming all the rage. I remember when Java started out, people criticized it because it was vm based. Now, we are seeing all sorts of VMs being used. The concept isn't new, it's just making a comeback

Isolating processes into separate vms (whether they are java or not) will tend to lead to more stable system overall. Today, in most OSes, a rogue application can consume 100% of the memory and then cause the entire OS to fail (or become unusable). VMs sandbox processes so that doesn't happen. So when a rogue plugin in SageTV consumes all the memory of SageTV and it craps out... the OS is unaffected.... that's a good thing.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:47 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
So when a rogue plugin in SageTV consumes all the memory of SageTV and it craps out... the OS is unaffected.... that's a good thing.
Which is exactly my problem. Windows is fine, sage is not. Restarting fixes everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckless View Post
In quickly looking at your log file, there is definately something with the Appolosa image. It is getting an OOM at a rate of 100+ times a second while trying to load it. This is being done from a background thread 'BGLoader2', so i'm not sure if this is sagetv or another plugin, it may be that the backgound process is going into an endless loop trying to load a bad image, and the garbage collector can't keep up.

For now, I'd definately try to blow away the image.
I had read a very old post talking about memory errors being associated with a particular image. I looked, but never saw it. Thanks for the find. Found the image in question. I will delete both and put a new one in. I'll let you guys know.

Last edited by panteragstk; 03-24-2011 at 04:16 PM.