SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Sage My Movies
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Sage My Movies This forums is for discussing the user-created Sage My Movies for SageTV.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:11 AM
Sage Expert

Yet another silly fan art question

ok, so I have fan art/back grounds working...
mostly...
somewhere like 70% of my movies the background image pops right up as expected...
but the other 30% the fan art pops up eventually... if you wait long enough... its almost like SMM has to send the image out to an old 8086 machine to be scaled first...
ie I can take the dog out to chase squirrels (he really enjoys that... not sure how the squirrels feel about it though?), and by the time we come back in it will either be popping up the background, or it will pop up soon...

the same movie always will behave in the same way, very repeatable...

nothing shows up in the logs...

so my questions:
  • does SMM have a favorite picture file type that is processed/transferred faster? ie PNG or JPG or ??? it seems all the files in the cache are JPG, is that just a coincidence? or is that by design?
  • would it be a good idea to just delete the whole SMM cache folder, and make it re cache everything from scratch?
  • looking through the extender background cache, why is Scary Movie a poster and not a background? actually while most backgrounds are 1024 x 576. there are a couple that are different, 1024 x 680, 1024 x 631, 564 x 564 etc... why are they not all 1024 x 576?
  • can I shrink the files (ie higher jpeg compression or something) to make them load faster?
Old 03-20-2011, 05:45 PM
Sage Expert

FWIW, using freeimageconverter I was able to make all the cache images be 1024 x 576, and by cranking up the jpeg compression, the average file size went from ~ 900K down to ~60K... all the backgrounds show up now, and they all are much zippier in showing up...

but the slow ones from before are still slow... just not as slow anymore... not sure why?
Old 03-20-2011, 05:56 PM
SageTVaholic

The images are not supposed to be exact they are scaled closest to keep their OAR. so they won't all be exact as for compression java is not the best image tool around for that.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:07 PM
SageTVaholic

As for speed differences your just bei picky to be honest if it is an extender you are never going to get the timing consistent there are too many variables you can't control. Like rendering of the image from one to the next, is the image cached. Every image could take a different speed/time to render from one one to the next even of they are same filesize.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:06 AM
Sage Expert

yes it is an extender...

as for OAR, that's not really a big deal for me as I prefer the list view, so you cant see too much of an average back ground anyway...

but just for fun, I tried the cover flow view... it actually looked fine there too, only the extreme case where I turned a poster in to a background looked a bit odd...

but still its much faster over all now... and even the slow ones are only about as slow as the uncompressed/adjusted fast ones were before... pretty much a win from my point of view... SMM happiness all around