SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:58 PM
Sage User

HD300 - Stop Auto-Power On?

Hi All,

I'm new to SageTV but have been looking into getting it for a while. I finally decided to take the plunge and it all arrived yesterday. Awesome product I might add!

I have a question about the HD300 which I cant seem to find any info on..

I generally like to switch gear off at the wall and only turn it on when needed and when I do this for the HD300, it automatically powers on.

Is there a way for it to only go into Standby mode and then require the remote button to be pressed to power on?

Cheers!

Jeremy

Last edited by Syrius; 03-16-2011 at 01:37 AM.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:13 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrius View Post
I finally decided to take the plunge and it all arrived arriving yesterday.
Hello and Welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syrius View Post
I generally like to switch gear off at the wall and only turn it on when needed and when I do this for the HD300, it automatically powers on.

Is there a way for it to only go into Standby mode and then require the remote button to be pressed to power on?
So reading your first question I hear, "I turn my stuff off when I don't want it on, and when I turn my stuff on to use, the HD300 turns on." which sounds like what would expect from turning it on, ie you had it off and now you turn it on to use, thus being on is useful.

Sounds very Queenie from Black Adder to me, "when I throw a stick away I don't want it coming back"

So I went and checked my AV devices, and if I plug in my DVD player it auto turns on. But if plug in my TV it turns on, if it was in the on when unplugged, but if it was in standby when unplugged it stays in standby when plugged back in on.

So 50% of my gears does what your asking for, but I don't understand why if you unplugged it (or switch it off at the wall) why you want it off when you turn it back on. Also the HD300 never really turns off, it just stops output HDMI signal, as you can log into the Linux box while it's in "standby", and mostly likely stops running the SageTV client (thus why it's loading when you turn it back on)
Old 03-16-2011, 01:44 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimeonPilgrim View Post
Hello and Welcome.

So 50% of my gears does what your asking for, but I don't understand why if you unplugged it (or switch it off at the wall) why you want it off when you turn it back on. Also the HD300 never really turns off, it just stops output HDMI signal, as you can log into the Linux box while it's in "standby", and mostly likely stops running the SageTV client (thus why it's loading when you turn it back on)
Thanks

The particular setup in question has is a power-board which has a TV, Xbox, Wii and the HD300 connected to it.

When it gets turned on, the only thing that actually starts up is the HD300, everything else remains in Standby mode. Which as much as it would be normal, is not really ideal if I just want to use the Wii.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:29 AM
Sage User

Do we (the community) know the power usage of the HD300 when in standby vs. running?
Old 03-16-2011, 12:10 PM
SageTVaholic

Yes- Search-it is in one of the posts. But it's like 7 watts vs 4 watts.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-16-2011, 01:04 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
Yes- Search-it is in one of the posts. But it's like 7 watts vs 4 watts.

Gerry
Thanks for searching for me.... Thus my point, it's not a big power hog, so ignore it.
Old 03-16-2011, 05:28 PM
SageTVaholic

The thing that jumps out at me is the extender starts, way, way, way faster from standby than it does from a cold boot, especially if you're connecting to a SageTV server. I'm talking 0-5 seconds maybe from standby vs 30-60+ from a cold boot.

I would never want my HD300 unplugged during normal use.
Old 03-16-2011, 07:28 PM
Sage User

Thanks for your responses.

After re-reading the post about standby only stopping the Video Output whilst the unit is still running behind it, I presume that this functionality won't be possible.

Cheers,
Jeremy