SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 03-09-2011, 10:44 AM
SageTVaholic

CNN and CNNHD missing from my listings

Both CNN channels have dissappeared from my listing (Shaw Direct East). Using the Shaw Direct TV Guide, the listings for BOTH channels ARE still there, so there appears to be a disconnect between the EPG listings and Sage.
Any idea how to fix this? I've tried to manually add the channels, but since they don't exist according to EPG, that doesn't seem to work.
Anyone else missing CNN at the moment?

channels 257 HD and 500 SD on Shaw Direct east

Last edited by tvmaster2; 03-09-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:35 AM
SageTVaholic

thanks to opus - the old enabling / disabling trick did it. maybe they renamed the channels somehow

hmmm, actually, it didn't. How strange. CNN showed up in the list, but after enabling and closing the guide setup, the channel is missing.
weird.
The channel is listed, and can be previewed in Channel Setup, but refuses to add itself to the listings.

Last edited by tvmaster2; 03-09-2011 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:45 AM
Administrator

See the note on p. 53 of the SageTV PDF manual & look for the channel under a different number in the guide.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opus4 View Post
See the note on p. 53 of the SageTV PDF manual & look for the channel under a different number in the guide.

- Andy
will do, but the strange thing is it's been there for nearly a year now, listed as both CNN (channel 500) and CNN HD (channel 257).
Also, it is listed with a second tuner at channel 14. No conflicts, channel wise, and the HD version is named differently.
Maybe it's an anomomly of Colossus

Last edited by tvmaster2; 03-09-2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-09-2011, 12:47 PM
SageTVaholic

OK, I disabled the CNN's from the second tuner, and the Colossus CNN's showed up. Strange - as it wasn't a limitation with the HD PVR. More to come
Old 03-09-2011, 12:55 PM
Administrator

Please read the manual section I referred you to instead of doing trial & error.

You do not need to disable anything and it isn't an anomaly with the tuner nor is it some type of error. You added a new tuner & that ended up changing which lineup was used as the basis for the channel number in the guide -- look for it under a different channel number in the guide; sort by channel name if that helps. From the guide, you can jump to the channel manager to easily remap the number that it is listed under in the guide. You can sort that menu by channel name too.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Please read the manual section I referred you to instead of doing trial & error.

You do not need to disable anything and it isn't an anomaly with the tuner nor is it some type of error. You added a new tuner & that ended up changing which lineup was used as the basis for the channel number in the guide -- look for it under a different channel number in the guide; sort by channel name if that helps. From the guide, you can jump to the channel manager to easily remap the number that it is listed under in the guide. You can sort that menu by channel name too.

- Andy
thanks - I actually did that first, and although channel 500 shows up in the Channel Setup, it isn't showing up in the EPG for some reason. As far as mapping, I also tried that, but couldn't seem to get that to function. Thanks again for the tips. I'll do what most people do here - remove, destroy, rebuild and enjoy
Old 03-11-2011, 12:12 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:

- Andy
This I can't find in the manual - when two channels have exactly the same name, for example GOLFHD, and they are from different providers and on different channels, I can remap the channel number without trouble. However, I can't figure out how to RENAME one of the conflicting names, for example GOLFHD01.
Am I not understanding the manual, or is this not possible?
If not, then how would you include BOTH of the identical channel names so that they BOTH show up in the channel guide, under their respective channel numbers? Lost on that one.
Thanks
Old 03-25-2011, 01:47 AM
SageTVaholic

two channels with the same name - one lineup

I've read the manual - page 176 - 178 and still can't get this to work:

Two different tuners, two different providers, yet they both carry the same network: Speed HD

The SageTV lineup will only display one or the other in the listings, which makes sense, I guess. In both tuners channel listings, they are named identically, and are both checked as "enabled" in setup.

However, I DO want both of them present, since one is from a Canadian source and one is from a U.S. source, and due to blackouts, they carry different programs from time to time.

what's the trick? I imagine I have to change the name of one of them slightly, but can't seem to figure out how.

* merged *
Old 03-25-2011, 02:20 AM
Sage Expert

Code:
Setup->Video Sources->Tuner->Channel Setup->Pick Channel->Remap this Channel->Remap Channel #->Logical Chan #
and give it a new logical number. The EPG will show both even though they have the same name as long as they have a different channel number
Old 03-25-2011, 03:41 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
Code:
Setup->Video Sources->Tuner->Channel Setup->Pick Channel->Remap this Channel->Remap Channel #->Logical Chan #
and give it a new logical number. The EPG will show both even though they have the same name as long as they have a different channel number
that's the wierd part - they already have different channel numbers: one is 274 and the other 730 in their respective guide listings, which is why I am confused that they both don't appear

Last edited by tvmaster2; 03-25-2011 at 03:48 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:03 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
However, I DO want both of them present, since one is from a Canadian source and one is from a U.S. source, and due to blackouts, they carry different programs from time to time.
They are not going to be listed separately in the guide unless they are different channels. And, they are different channels if they have different station IDs. So, if you add a new channel with a different station ID & use that for one of those channels, then it will be listed separately... but unless Zap2it has a different station ID available for a similar channel, you won't receive any EPG data for the made-up channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
It doesn't work that way; please read the manual section I referenced above.

- Andy
Old 03-25-2011, 04:04 AM
SageTVaholic

ok, I figured out how to rename the channel via "add" new channel. Problem is now, will the EPG be able to funnel listings to the channel if it is named differently in SageTV guide than what it is in the EPG listing data.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:11 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
They are not going to be listed separately in the guide unless they are different channels. And, they are different channels if they have different station IDs. So, if you add a new channel with a different station ID & use that for one of those channels, then it will be listed separately... but unless Zap2it has a different station ID available for a similar channel, you won't receive any EPG data for the made-up channel.

- Andy
They have the same physical name, "SpeedHD", different channel designations, or logical channels; 274 and 730 (one is Shaw Direct, one is Cox cable), but it appears their Station ID's are the same: 58508.
How can that be? They are independant channels from two different postal/zip codes.
Is that why only one will show up in the combined guide listings?

OK, I see you merged this with the older one regarding CNN, which could be the same problem.
Can I give a channel a different "ID" and have it mean something? That's where the manual loses me.
How would Zap2it know where to look?

Last edited by tvmaster2; 03-25-2011 at 04:16 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 04:27 AM
Administrator

The EPG data comes from the Zap2it station ID; thus, if you make up a station ID, you won't get EPG data. That's why I said you'll have to see if you can find a Zap2it channel that has similar listings but a different ID.

- Andy
Old 03-25-2011, 04:31 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
The EPG data comes from the Zap2it station ID; thus, if you make up a station ID, you won't get EPG data. That's why I said you'll have to see if you can find a Zap2it channel that has similar listings but a different ID.

- Andy
OK, that's where the breakdown in communication was: station ID. Got it now. I see that the "standard def" version of Speed has a different Station ID, but the same listings.
Can I steal that ID and map it to use the HD channel in it's place?

hello? still there?

Last edited by tvmaster2; 03-25-2011 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
OK, that's where the breakdown in communication was: station ID. Got it now. I see that the "standard def" version of Speed has a different Station ID, but the same listings.
Can I steal that ID and map it to use the HD channel in it's place?

hello? still there?
To quote Andy
Quote:
That's why I said you'll have to see if you can find a Zap2it channel that has similar listings but a different ID.

- Andy

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gplasky View Post
To quote Andy

Gerry
thanks for quoting him. what I find baffling is how Zap2it does this, especially since channels that are duplicated in both countries almost ALWAYS run different programming from time to time. Also, I know that everything is "in" the manual, but I find it's wording convoluted at times, so it's good there are people such as yourselves to clarify things, promptly and cordially.