SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-10-2011, 11:51 PM
Sage User

Question No playback of files on UnRAID server

I'm not sure whether to post this on the Sage forum or the UnRAID forum ...

I'm still a SageTV newbie. I installed SageTV v7 on a Windows 7 PC for my wife for this past Christmas, and in the 6 weeks or so since then she has filled up the 1TB drive on the SageTV server with recorded movies (all of which are, of course, sacred and must be kept forever). And she's thirsting for more storage.

So I built an UNRAID server for her to fill up with films. The build went smoothly, installing UNRAID was straightforward, and everything looked good -- until I actually tried to copy a SageTV recording to the UNRAID server and play it from there.

The first problem is that when I scan my import directories (which include //TOWER/disk2 on my UNRAID box), it doesn't always import the files which are actually in that directory. Most of the time (~75%), the files show up, but not always. Secondly, even if the file shows up, sometimes it is listed as zero bytes. Other times the correct file size shows up.

The big problem, though, is that when I actually try to play the file (either directly on the SageTV server or via the HD300 extender at the TV), the SageTV UI locks up for a couple of minutes and then I get a PlaybackException saying "error accessing the filesystem."

Here are the basics of my setup:

SageTV server:

Gateway DX4320
4GB RAM
1 TB HDD
Windows 7 Home Premium
SageTV running as a service, logged on with user/password (not LocalSystem)
Comcast STB and HD PVR for capture

UNRAID server:
ASUS m/b
AMD Sempron 140 CPU
2GB RAM
2TB WD Caviar Green parity drive
2 x 1.5TB WD Caviar Green data drives
UNRAID v4.7 Basic

I am guessing that this is either a permissions issue or a SAMBA configuration issue, but I really don't know what to try next. Any advice anyone can offer will be much appreciated.

Chris Jones
Old 02-11-2011, 06:30 AM
Sage Icon

Many people are using SageTV with unRAID. UnRAID should work fine for several HD streams on playback, but the recordings should be done on the SageTV computer, then moved to the unRAID server library. Make sure that your unRAID server name and IP are in your hosts file. I am still using Windows XP Pro for my SageTV computer. I plan to switch to Windows 7 - 64 bit or Linux within about a month.

I renamed my unRAID server from TOWER to unRAID. I experimented with several different syntax for adding the drives to the SageTV Video Library configuration screen. Here's the syntax I use:

\\unRAID\disk1\videolibrary
\\unRAID\disk2\videolibrary
\\unRAID\disk3\videolibrary
\\unRAID\disk4\videolibrary
\\unRAID\disk5\videolibrary
\\unRAID\disk6\videolibrary
\\unRAID\disk7\videolibrary
\\unRAID\disk8\videolibrary

The unRAID version 4.7 covers advanced format 2.0 gig drives, so you shouldn't need the pin 7 to pin 8 jumper installed on the advanced format drives. I am still using unRAID version 4.5.6, so I haven't tested unRAID on the current version yet. Since your unRAID system board is not a Gigabyte, you shouldn't have a HPA (Host Protected Area) problem.

I am going to be rebuilding my unRAID server with the unRAID version 4.7 in a couple weeks with a Supermicro system board to get away from any possible Gigabyte HPA problems. I can let you know if I have an unRAID version 4.7 problems. Maybe someone else on the forum is using unRAID version 4.7 already and can give you some feedback.

You might also try playing back the videos from the unRAID server with Video Lan Player or some other video player to isolate the problem from SageTV.

Dave

Last edited by davephan; 02-11-2011 at 06:38 AM.
Old 02-11-2011, 07:41 AM
Sage User

Thanks for your reply, Dave.

You might also try playing back the videos from the unRAID server with Video Lan Player or some other video player to isolate the problem from SageTV.

An excellent suggestion! I installed VLC on my Sage box and tried playing a video from the UNRAID server. It took about 2 minutes, then timed out with a "file read error" -- more or less the same behaviour that SageTV showed. I have a second copy of the same file stored locally on the SageTV server, and VLC played the local copy just fine (as does SageTV, of course).

I tried it both using a UNC name to reference the UNRAID share, and through a drive letter mapped to the share. No joy either way. So name resolution is not an issue.

I think this tells me that this is an UNRAID issue, not a SageTV issue. I'm going to re-post this issue over at the LimeTech forum and see if anybody can help. Of course, anybody here at the SageTV forum who has gone through this issue is still welcome to let me in on the secret.

Thanks again for the excellent diagnostic tip.

Chris
Old 02-11-2011, 08:14 AM
Sage Icon

I'm using unRAID 4.7 with SageTV 6.6.2 (XP Pro) without issue.

I record on the local drive than have some SJQ (V3) routines to move those recordings I want to the unRAID box.

I have the unRAID user shares defined to SageTV as Import Directories (UNC).
User Shares are export read/write.

Quote:
Secondly, even if the file shows up, sometimes it is listed as zero bytes. Other times the correct file size shows up.
So when you look via Windows the file size is different than when you do an ls -l on the unRAID server? Never seen that before

BTW - what process are you using to move your files over to the unRAID box?
Old 02-11-2011, 10:16 AM
Sage User

I have the unRAID user shares defined to SageTV as Import Directories (UNC).

Since I only have unRAID Basic, I can't define user shares. I have to use disk shares. This may make a difference. (I have ordered a registration key for unRAID Pro, but have not received it yet.)

when you look via Windows the file size is different than when you do an ls -l on the unRAID server?

Windows Explorer reports the file size correctly (as does ls in a telnet session on the unRAID box). But when I select a video through the SageTV UI and click View Video Detail, it (sometimes) shows zero bytes.

what process are you using to move your files over to the unRAID box?

So far I have only copied a couple of files over just for testing purposes, which I did "by hand" (i.e. using Windows Explorer). Once I figure out this problem and I can play videos from the unRAID box consistently, I will set something up to move files over regularly. I will probably install and use SJQ.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Sage Expert

Running Sage as a service with the user set to Local System could be responsible for what you are seeing. If you are running sage as a service, try setting it to run under a real user account rather than Local System and see if that helps. Of course if you aren't running as a service ignore me
Old 02-11-2011, 07:14 PM
Sage Expert

silly question, but why do this:
Quote:
\\unRAID\disk1\videolibrary
\\unRAID\disk2\videolibrary
\\unRAID\disk3\videolibrary
\\unRAID\disk4\videolibrary
\\unRAID\disk5\videolibrary
\\unRAID\disk6\videolibrary
\\unRAID\disk7\videolibrary
when you could just do
\\unRAID\videolibrary ( or some other share name)
then when it comes time for more HDD room, you just slide another one in?
what advantages are there for doing the disk1, disk2, disk3 thing? (ie what am I missing out on by just using a share?)
Old 02-11-2011, 09:03 PM
Sage User

No playback of files on unRAID server [SOLVED]

OK, folks, this one is SOLVED.

I posted the problem over at the unRAID forum and one of the gurus over there pointed me in the right direction.

The "approved" motherboard list for unRAID includes the ASUS M4A78LT-M. I thought I was buying that, but what I actually bought was the M4A78LT-M LE. One of the few differences between the two boards is that the "LE" version has a different onboard NIC (Atheros 8131), one which does not play well with unRAID.

On the advice of the unRAID guru (bcbgboy13), I picked up a Netgear GA311 PCI NIC; disabled the onboard Atheros NIC; popped in the new NIC and brought up the unRAID server; and problem solved.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:29 AM
Sage Icon

Curious. Have you checked the recording details again on those that showed 0 bytes within sage now that you have disabled the on-board nic?

Are they reporting correctly now?

Glad you have it fixed now.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:05 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeWhatLost View Post
silly question, but why do this:

when you could just do
\\unRAID\videolibrary ( or some other share name)
then when it comes time for more HDD room, you just slide another one in?
what advantages are there for doing the disk1, disk2, disk3 thing? (ie what am I missing out on by just using a share?)
I could have done it with a share. I have my music setup that way. So, it can be done either way. I don't know if there is any advantage to setting it up with individual disks.

When I copy ripped DVDs to the unRAID server, I copy them with mapped drives, mapped to each specific disk number. I want all the files within the ripped DVD directory to be contained on the same physical disk, not spread to different disks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckewinjones View Post
OK, folks, this one is SOLVED.

I posted the problem over at the unRAID forum and one of the gurus over there pointed me in the right direction.

The "approved" motherboard list for unRAID includes the ASUS M4A78LT-M. I thought I was buying that, but what I actually bought was the M4A78LT-M LE. One of the few differences between the two boards is that the "LE" version has a different onboard NIC (Atheros 8131), one which does not play well with unRAID.

On the advice of the unRAID guru (bcbgboy13), I picked up a Netgear GA311 PCI NIC; disabled the onboard Atheros NIC; popped in the new NIC and brought up the unRAID server; and problem solved.
The Gurus are extremely helpful on the unRAID forum. It does help to use the recommended system boards. I setup unRAID on a Gigabyte system board that I had on hand, but it has HPA. I did not know about the HPA problem or the Advanced Format pins 7 & 8 jumpers required for version 4.5.6. I moved all my files off the current unRAID server to separate Windows formatted 2 TB drives. I plan to order the Supermicro recommended system board and a recommended 8 port Adaptec sata controller. The new unRAID server build with the recommended hardware will allow me to reuse the Gigabyte system board with the i-7 950 3.06 gig quad core as a Linux SageTV computer.

Dave

Last edited by davephan; 02-12-2011 at 09:17 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
When I copy ripped DVDs to the unRAID server, I copy them with mapped drives, mapped to each specific disk number. I want all the files within the ripped DVD directory to be contained on the same physical disk, not spread to different disks.
If you set up your Split Level properly on the User Shares, you can accomplish this easily also.

been awhile so you might want to read up to verify the proper Split Level but you could have the following:

Movies (level 1)
..........=> Movie 1 (level 2)
..................=> Audio_TS (level 3)
..................=> Video_TS
..........=> Movie 2
..................=> movie2.mkv
..........=> Movie 3
..................=> movie3.ts

If I recall, setting the Movies share to Split Level 1 would mean that Movies can be on any disk but any sub-folder under Movies would have all the files on the same physical disk. Therefore Movie 1 folder and anything under it would only be on 1 physical disk. Split Level 2 would mean that Movie 1 could be on multiple disks but everything under Video_TS would be on 1 physical disk but Audio_TS could be on another physical disk.

Last edited by graywolf; 02-12-2011 at 10:47 AM.