SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations > Batch Metadata Tools
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Batch Metadata Tools This forums is for discussing the user-created Batch Metadata Tools for SageTV.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:10 AM
Sage Advanced User

Windows (or more importantly IE) needs for BMT

I've been struggling for some time trying to get BMT to "fully" work for me. Now, I can log into the Sage box from antoher computer and BMT works (well, to a point). I can see the settings, ask for a rescan of media library, and a few other things. What I cannot do is see ANY movie files metadata.

I am running an old version of Windows XP (SP2 I believe). I don't update with anything (if it ain't broke, don't fix it). Could this be my problem? Are there some patches, updates, etc that I need to get the BMT working completely?

I have other computers that are running Windows 7 and XP with all patches, so I don't think it's a problem on the remote side....seems like the problem exists on the sage machine.

HELP!!!!
Old 02-05-2011, 09:15 AM
Sage Advanced User

Update....

I can get BMT to work on the local Sage machine (apparently never tried it). It's updating metadata now.....

Would still like to get this to work remotely as I'm hogging the machine and the family is not so thrilled...

All in all....I'm at least up and running...
Old 02-05-2011, 09:15 AM
SageTVaholic

My best advice is to download and use chrome on that machine.

As a single developer managing this project and others, and and a non-windows user, I simply don't have time to test everything on every platform

I develop on linux and I test using chrome and firefox (latest versions only). I could possible test on windows, but that would require setting up different vms with different versions of windows running different versions of IE. I simply don't have time.

I welcome other people contributing to the project, so if there there's a window user that want's to tackle this, then I'm all for it.

I do realize this is a frustration, and if there were no other work arounds (like installing another browser), then I'd probably put a lot more effort into resolving the windows issues.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:35 AM
Sage Advanced User

ok, I'll give that a try. At least being able to use this on the host sage machine will help a ton.

One question on how things work: I just started a "update fanart" on my entire movie collection (all genres). I notice that the folders in fanart are slowly adding the movies even though BMT says it's done. Will this run in the background or something? Should I just let BMT stay active even though it's not doing anything for a while?
Old 02-05-2011, 09:42 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
ok, I'll give that a try. At least being able to use this on the host sage machine will help a ton.

One question on how things work: I just started a "update fanart" on my entire movie collection (all genres). I notice that the folders in fanart are slowly adding the movies even though BMT says it's done. Will this run in the background or something? Should I just let BMT stay active even though it's not doing anything for a while?
Once you start a scan, you can free to close out bmt. If the web ui is active them it will be updated, but closing it out will not cancel the scan.

I'd have to check, but I'm pretty sure that since downloading fanart is fairly expensive (time wise), that I simply put it in a background thread. That's why the UI may say it's done, but in reality, it's still doing stuff in the background.
Old 02-05-2011, 09:45 AM
Sage Advanced User

wonderful....thank you for the response
Old 02-12-2011, 08:07 AM
Sage Advanced User

Stuckless,

I have a question for you. Things are running quite fine on my machine now. I did a substantial update of metadata on basically all my tv shows and a huge amount of my movies. This was done through the localhost BMT plugin (in an internet explorer shell).

There must have been a couple thousand requested updates and I told BMT to update everthing (so don't skip the items that have already been updated....one of the check boxes in BMT during the metadata update screen).

Almost 18 hours later, I have a process running (iexplore.exe) that is consuming between 40-50% CPU time. Could this be the BMT process running in the background? I have no internet explorer windows open.

How could I check to see if BMT has something running in the background, or is completely finished?
Old 02-12-2011, 08:49 AM
SageTVaholic

@Deano - I doubt the iexplorer.exe is bmt. While the web ui runs in a browser, if you close that browser, then the web portion of bmt is gone. It's my understanding that Windows never really closes the iexplorer.exe but rather just closes out the windows and it leaves the process running so that it say that it's browser has a really fast start up (My anti-windows sentiments could be clouding my judgement here, but I think that's what MS does). I'm not sure if there's a way to tell what the iexplore process is really doing

As for bmt, when you fire off a full scan it will scan the metadata of each item in it's own thread... and then for all of the fanart downloads it will queue them up to download. So, while the scan finishes, the fanart download may still be running in a background thread. The best way to tell if it's still running is to check the phoenix-metadata.log. If there are very recent log entries, then bmt may still be downloading fanart (it will log the fanart downloads there as well)