SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-19-2011, 04:05 PM
Sage Expert

Yet another Sage Server build/OS advice thread

ok, so I am having a couple issues with my current server and have been thinking about upgrading...
first off the issues:
Reboots... tends to reboot more in the winter, or during storms and such... ie whenever OTA reception is worse then normal... this has been going on since the beginning of time, BTV, sage, different PC servers, the only constant is my original HDhomerun... (one of the 'bad'/early ones)
looking at the event log just tells me the kernel crashed, not much usable info there... sometimes windows error reporting reports back that it was a driver that crashed, but never says what one...
it used to do this only once or twice a week, and it would reboot fairly quickly... but lately its been more often... last night it was 4 times in a couple of hours... kind of annoying really... and on the last reboot, it failed to actually boot... got stuck on the pre-POST(I think, it is a Intel MB, and its just displays a big intel logo)... keyboard didn't work, couldn't even get to bios... kind of pissed me off a bit... ended up pulling power and waiting a bit and it finally booted...

so I am thinking it may be a good time to rebuild my server... I definitely want a MB with IPMI... My unRAID has IPMI and I truly love that feature... it has saved me from crawling around in my crawlspace (where are my servers/server type things/etc are) a few times...

here is what I am planning:now, I am not really sure I need Reg ECC Memory, or 8GB worth of memory... but if your going to go Xeon, you might as well go Reg ECC? right?
of course I think a Xeon may be a bit much for a Sage server.... but hey, it fits the MB... actually my original plan was to just go with an i3, but the Xeon just has a much cooler name, and the MB memory requirements confused me... I think the MB only supports ECC, does the i3 support ECC?...
actually at one point I was just going to reuse the i5 from my current server... but I couldn't find a MB I like for the i5... what was so special about i5's anyway? why wont an i5 work in this MB?

for OS, I am pretty set on dumping WHS, it now says that my 1.5TB drive pool that only (according to WHS) contains 119kB of data, is some how full... I think it got confused... and that really worries me.... I really don't like when one of my data storage device gets confused... I think I am just going to transfer all data storage tasks over to my unRAID box...

so my new plan for my server OS is just Win7 Premium... I have HDHR hooked up to sage sever that is running Win7 that I set up for my parents and it hasn't rebooted once... been rock solid really, I have not had one support call for it...

so anyway, any suggestions? advice? am I crazy?
Old 01-19-2011, 05:35 PM
SageTVaholic

You might consider this OCZ model instead of the Kingston. It has faster write speeds than the Kingston for just $10 more. Only suggestion I have.