SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 08-04-2004, 06:42 PM
Sage Fanatic

Angry Need help with new Sage server build....

Hi Guys,

I'm going crazy getting my new server built.

For capture cards, I have:
1) Hauppauge PVR-250 "FREESTYLE" - bought of Ebay
2) AverMedia M-150 (have 2 of these)
3) AverMedia M-179

As for system specs:
Intel D845GLLY board (845 chipset, in micro/ATX)
Intel Celeron 2.2Ghz cpu
128MB of PC133 sdram (that is what this m/b calls for)

Symptoms:
With only XP loaded, and m/b drivers, I tried to install the M-150, no luck. Code 10 error, with the yellow bang (exclaimation point) in device mgr.

I blow out all drivers for M-150, and proceed to try the latest driver from SHS's site. Same result.

Pull the M-150 and all drivers again. Try the "FREESTYLE" card and most recent 350/250/MCE/FREESTYLE drivers from SHS's site.
Same thing, Code 10 and yellow 'bang'. I've tried newer video card drivers for the built-in video with no improvement. Tried changing the irq's from 'auto sharing' to giving each slot it own irq. Same thing.

Does anyone have any ideas? Please help, as this whole machine is rapidly inch-ing towards becoming a 'lawn ornament' via the 3rd story window!!!!

Thanks!

-PGPfan
Old 08-04-2004, 08:07 PM
SageTVaholic

I would get a little more RAM(around 384 or 512)
especially if you are planning to actually watch TV with the server

not sure about the drivers
but take out all cards and put them in one at a time
and install the drivers for each after putting in the card

I would start with the pvr 250
and then the M150
and then M179
Old 08-05-2004, 01:56 AM
Sage Fanatic

Thanks for the reply, kny3twalker!

I don't plan on using the server to watch TV at all. In fact, I plan on disconnecting the monitor, mouse and keyboard all together and just using it as a Sage ONLY server.

Strange thing is that I have tried all the steps that I listed using only one capture card at a time. It seems that no matter what I did, which slot I used, or which card I tried I would ALWAYS get the Code 10 and the 'yellow bang'.

Any other thoughts? Anyone else?

-PGPfan
Old 08-05-2004, 06:46 AM
SageTVaholic

mine try a reormat since it should not take long
either put in all the cards before the reformat or all afterwards

I would try with all of them in there

should not take long since it will be just server

I hate saying it but it would be really easy at this point

can you not even get one of the cards to load its drivers correctly?
Old 08-05-2004, 09:12 AM
Sage Fanatic

just my 2 cents worth...

The AVerMedia M150 cards are a "Blackbird" design... Which, as far as I'm concerned is just askin for all kinds of trouble.

See if you can get the 250 working first all by itself. However, from the cards you list they are basically all some form of "Blackbird" design (again, just asking for trouble).

My own opinion... for highest reliability and stability always use only real PVR-250 (rev. 16) cards. I know I'll NEVER touch another Blackbird/Roslyn card again for my own use (they require too many IRQ's and have way too much extra driver baggage that causes conflicts).

Last edited by mls; 08-05-2004 at 09:20 AM.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:56 AM
Sage Fanatic

Thanks mls!

I know what you mean about the blackbirds. The only things I was hoping were 1) my 'Freestyle' card actually isn't based on blackbird, rather it is based on the original PVR-250 (it has the heatsink) just meant specifically for MCE so on ir port, and 2) even though the M-150 is based on blackbird, it seems that people have had alot less trouble with these than the Hauppauge versions.

kny3twalker, I'll try to do a reload tonight and will let you all know the outcome.

-PGPfan
Old 08-05-2004, 12:51 PM
Sage Fanatic

If your "Freestyle" is an original OEM version, it will have a Rev. 15 chip.

That could be another issue with drivers and/or mixing with other cards.
Old 08-05-2004, 03:46 PM
Sage Fanatic

mls,

Yep, it's a -15 part. The kicker is that I get the yellow bang, and code 10 even when using it by itself! Darn things are driving me to drink! (Ooops, maybe a little too late for that

-PGPfan
Old 08-05-2004, 04:08 PM
Sage Fanatic

Code 10 would tend to indicate some sort of IRQ conflict. Is your BIOS set to work with Plug'n'Play OS so that Windows can re-allocate IRQ's if it needs to?

Some motherboards will have IRQ problems depending which slot the card is plugged into. Have you tried the 250 in different card slots?

If the "Freestyle" (being designed for MCE) is pulling anything like a Blackbird/Roslyn card does, it might be wanting several IRQ's (which could cause further conflict problems).

Although SOME people seem to have had some luck getting the various other cards to work, for the most part the people having the best luck always seem to be the one using real Hauppauge 250's or USB2's.

One other thing you could try... If you have a Bestbuy or Cirucit City or such local, pick up a 250 and see if you have a problem with it. You can always return it, but at least you would know if the motherboard will work with a real one or not.
Old 08-05-2004, 10:00 PM
Sage Icon

I had this problem with a m179 card i bought a few days ago. I installed this driver, and rebooted. Fixed! It is better than the original by far as well. Oddly, I have also read much about bad tv tuners on the cards. I dont know if its this driver, or just plain dumb luck, but I cannot notice the difference between that card and my 3 pvr250's.

http://www.iulabs.com/drv/index.shtml

Give it a try. You will still get a bang until you reboot, but it should go away after

Hope this helps!

I.

Quote:
Originally posted by PGPfan
mls,

Yep, it's a -15 part. The kicker is that I get the yellow bang, and code 10 even when using it by itself! Darn things are driving me to drink! (Ooops, maybe a little too late for that

-PGPfan

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 1/Master BR - MediaMVP running a 30" Olevia LCD TV.
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.
Old 09-07-2004, 08:59 AM
Sage Expert

Avermedia M179 Driver?

I too just picked up one of the Avermedia M179's at Fry's. The unit has a CD with driver version 1.1.2.2 with a date of 8/12/2003. Are these the latest drivers from Aver? If so, then the drivers at http://www.iulabs.com/drv/download.shtml show a date of 7/17/2002. Since the 2 drivers are apparantly based on the same conexant code base, which one is the 'most recent' or better yet, 'which one is best'?

-Jason
Old 09-07-2004, 10:39 AM
Sage Icon

Re: Avermedia M179 Driver?

I would say that the ones I posted worked best for me.

I would suggest that if you have a cable box or satellite to capture, that you use the m179 for that. The cable tuner is pretty touchy(have to isolate it well from other cards).

I.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason
I too just picked up one of the Avermedia M179's at Fry's. The unit has a CD with driver version 1.1.2.2 with a date of 8/12/2003. Are these the latest drivers from Aver? If so, then the drivers at http://www.iulabs.com/drv/download.shtml show a date of 7/17/2002. Since the 2 drivers are apparantly based on the same conexant code base, which one is the 'most recent' or better yet, 'which one is best'?

-Jason

My sage rigs:
Server - Windows 2003, Intel 865 PERLL w/ P4 3.2g 1gb ram, 3-PVR250, 3-PVRUSB's, 1 Skystar2, 1 twinhan 102g, 1 starbox DVB-S Cards. Evo network QAM encoder. 1.2TB storage 6.x server + MTSAGE for DVB
Client 2/Front Room - Shuttle ST61G4 XPC 1gig ram, 60gb HD, BTC9019 wireless keyboard/mouse & Harmony 880. 6.x client. GF6600GT driving a Sony WEGA 55" rear projection tv.
Old 09-15-2004, 07:52 AM
Sage Expert

Re: Re: Avermedia M179 Driver?

Quote:
Originally posted by insomniac
I would say that the ones I posted worked best for me.
Just as a quick question. How did you install the IU drivers (or even the BT drivers)? The card is not recognized as having any compatible hardware?

I wanted to change from the Aver drivers to the IUlabs ones and no go...

-Jason
Old 09-15-2004, 08:58 AM
Sage Icon

Re: Re: Re: Avermedia M179 Driver?

errr..cant remember what I did at this point, but im pretty sure that you have to install the aver drivers first, then update w/ the instructions off that site.

I.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason
Just as a quick question. How did you install the IU drivers (or even the BT drivers)? The card is not recognized as having any compatible hardware?

I wanted to change from the Aver drivers to the IUlabs ones and no go...

-Jason

My sage rigs:
Old 09-15-2004, 08:59 AM
Sage Icon

Re: Re: Re: Re: Avermedia M179 Driver?

Quote:
Originally posted by insomniac
errr..cant remember what I did at this point, but im pretty sure that you have to install the aver drivers first, then update w/ the instructions off that site.

edit:

btw, I believe there is another set of tweaked drivers out there. Do a search at tv-cards.com. I believe thats where I found both drivers.

I.

My sage rigs:
Old 09-15-2004, 11:41 AM

PGPfan
Kepp all PVR card out
First thing first start by doing a clean install WinXP with SP2 build in to CD try fellow one of slipstream guide out there for this.

1: Install Motherboard Drivers first see below
Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility
Intel Application Accelerator
Intel Active Monitor
2: Install latest Directx 9C (Not from Windows Update page)
3: Install latest Internet Explorer 6 SP1 (Not from Windows Update page)
4: Install latest Windows Media Player 10
5: Intsall latest NIC drivers
6: Intsall latest Video drivers
7: Intsall latest Sound drivers
8: Now go to Windows Update page start install all the latest Critical Updates and Service Packs keep doing this intell you done install of it.
9: Now go back to Windows Update I think link called Windows XP which you to install ext stuff from that page you don't need to install Microsoft Windows Journal Viewer just so you know.

Last thing you do install Hauppauge and AverMedia card and drivers
Then Java and SageTV and anything else you need
How ever it would be very good idea add another 128MB memory stick being 128MB is really way to low for both Win2000 and XP.