SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Development and Customizations > SageTV v7 Customizations
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV v7 Customizations This forums is for discussing and sharing user-created modifications for the SageTV version 7 application created by using the SageTV Studio or through the use of external plugins. Use this forum to discuss plugins for SageTV version 7 and newer.

Old 12-19-2010, 01:58 AM
Sage User

Netflix?

I want to start by saying I have absolutely no programming experience (okay I successfully wrote "Hello World") but I was wondering why there is no Netflix Plugin (streaming). I see it on all kinds of other media-type...TVs, STB's, Xbox, Wii, etc... so the code must be out there to have but is there some sort of rights or other road block keeping people from including it in a Sage plugin? I would think Netflix wants to be on EVERY platform

I apologize for the Noob sounding Q, just wondering....

Thanks
Old 12-19-2010, 05:23 AM
SageTVaholic

You need to use the Playon product with the SageTV Playon plugin which gives you Netflix, Hulu, MLB, Pandora, ABC, CBS and other websites that stream video.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:17 AM
Sage Aficionado

Playon requires and additional subscription to their service so not really a viable solution in my opinion. I bought a second gen Apple TV specifically for Netflix and couldn't be happier.
Old 12-19-2010, 11:02 AM
SageTVaholic

Blame Netflix, not sage. Netflix won't let you license their product unless you can show that you will bring in a certain number of customers.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 12-19-2010, 11:30 AM

how about a way to launch a browser window or desktop application similar to what already exists with the launch hulu desktop. If you dont have the hulu desktop installed, then a browser window opens on the hulu site. I would think that could be any website if coded to it. There are a few netflix desktop apps out there that could be launched the same way. I know it is not close to sage integration, but would be much cleaner.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:00 PM
SageTVaholic

Hulu Desktop has the advantage of being relatively easy to control with a remote. The netflix web site, or other netflix apps, on the other hand, pretty much depend on a mouse to function, so really, if you need a mouse/keyboard, you could just launch them yourself, and the menu item isn't all that important.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 12-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Sage Advanced User

You can use netflix viewer. I have it installed on all of my PC clients. I use it instead of playon. http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/down...do=file&id=348. I have it installed on the server with a scheduled task setup to keep the database updated. I then use eventghost to launch the exe from which ever PC client I am using. Works great. You do not have to install it on the client. Just execute it on the client.
Serv:ECS H61H2-T1 ITX I7 3770S CPU@3.1GHZ 8G Ram WIN1064 HDPVR, HD Homerun|network encoder Unraid Server:B75MU3B I5-3550 CPU@3.30GHz 9TB 16G Ram|Network HDPVR encoder:Win10 VM 8G Ram with Processor passthrough. Directv Http tuning to Genie, exemultitunplugin to Genie client. Http scheduled task bat file to defeat screensaver on Genie. Usb uirt scheduled task bat file to defeat screensaver on Genie client. Clients Android TV, Samsung TAB A

Last edited by SteveD; 12-19-2010 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 02:09 PM
Sage User

I will look into the playon plugin as an option... to bad the playon software costs 80 bucks while all i would use it for is Netflix, I can record all the shows that are available through Hulu and such.

Is the netflix viewer running inside of Sage.. it looks like an external app. Would this run on an extender?

Thanks for the great discussion, these forums are great!
Old 12-19-2010, 06:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blocke View Post
I will look into the playon plugin as an option... to bad the playon software costs 80 bucks while all i would use it for is Netflix, I can record all the shows that are available through Hulu and such.

Is the netflix viewer running inside of Sage.. it looks like an external app. Would this run on an extender?

Be Aware playon degrades the quality from netflix and hulu so you will not be able to get HD. Some people don't know this going in. It is more than likely netflix's fault sagetv doesn't have it do to usage base.

I too bought an appletv for native netflix in the room I didn't already have it in a blu ray player

Skye
Old 12-19-2010, 06:52 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:

It is an external app. I use all pc clients. I would love to do everything through the sage interface, but there are so many compromises have to be made to make things work. With PC clients, and eventghost, I can do native netflix and hulu.
Serv:ECS H61H2-T1 ITX I7 3770S CPU@3.1GHZ 8G Ram WIN1064 HDPVR, HD Homerun|network encoder Unraid Server:B75MU3B I5-3550 CPU@3.30GHz 9TB 16G Ram|Network HDPVR encoder:Win10 VM 8G Ram with Processor passthrough. Directv Http tuning to Genie, exemultitunplugin to Genie client. Http scheduled task bat file to defeat screensaver on Genie. Usb uirt scheduled task bat file to defeat screensaver on Genie client. Clients Android TV, Samsung TAB A

Last edited by SteveD; 12-19-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:40 AM
Sage User

I installed the Playon trial and the plugin.... Very Very UNimpressed. Plucky, you are so right. Because there is no HD support I am actually very surprised that this counts as a viable solution for some folks. It is unfortunate.

How many users does it take to get the code from Netflix? Are there enough sage users who would like HD Netflix support?

Until then, I suppose I will continue to use my Xbox

Thanks Guys!
Old 12-22-2010, 12:38 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I installed the Playon trial and the plugin.... Very Very UNimpressed. Plucky, you are so right. Because there is no HD support I am actually very surprised that this counts as a viable solution for some folks. It is unfortunate.

How many users does it take to get the code from Netflix? Are there enough sage users who would like HD Netflix support?

Until then, I suppose I will continue to use my Xbox

Thanks Guys!
It is really people just living with what they can get.

I believe netflix agreement states you have to bring 100k or something like that to the table. I don't know what sage's user base is but that is a high number.
Plucky
Old 12-22-2010, 12:40 PM
Sage User

Yeah, that is huge... I can't imagine it will hit that number anytime soon
Old 12-22-2010, 12:45 PM
SageTVaholic

It'd be nice if one of the media streamers out there (Roku, etc) supported a rich set of external API's - it'd be possible to integrate into Sage then with a plugin (similar to the playon hulu/netflix queue importer) and captured from an HD-PVR.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:06 PM
Sage Aficionado

IMHO the market for devices that play Netflix natively is growing much faster and is potentially much larger than for STV like PVR's and Sage is missing out on a golden opportunity.

I am a staunch supporter of STV and the HD200/300 as a PVR solution but not for Netflix and or similar applications. Over the last few months 5-6 friends and associated have asked me to recommend a solution for streaming video to their TVs. In all cases their primary desire was for Netflix. In good conscious I could not recommend STV.

I have been using PlayOn since it first came out and it continues to be lack luster. It mostly works but does not work enough of the time to be annoying. And there is no denying that the PQ is noticeably lower than for devices that natively support things such as Netflix. I have a life time subscription to PlayOn but rarely use it.

PC: W7 32bit, Intel Q9550 2.83 Quad, 4GB DRAM
Cap Devices: Colosuss+UIRT+Cable STB; HDHR QAM+OTA, USB MediaSonic (6TB)
Network Players: HD200, (2) HD300s
Viewing: Samsung 55" 8000, Sony 50" and HP 37"
The more complicated it is the more likely it will break!
Old 12-22-2010, 01:14 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bits View Post
IMHO the market for devices that play Netflix natively is growing much faster and is potentially much larger than for STV like PVR's and Sage is missing out on a golden opportunity.
I don't think it is sage that is missing out on the opportunity. If netflix has a required user base as others have stated and sage doesn't have it don't know that there is much if anything they can do about it.

Let's take Roku and Apple for example. Roku is on pace to sell 1 million boxes by end of year as is Apple of their new appletv. Microsoft/xbox 360 is a no brainer as far as user base as is PS3/wii.

To me I think it is just a numbers game that sagetv can't compete in. Of course I am pulling that all out of their required user base statement.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUCKYHD View Post
I don't think it is sage that is missing out on the opportunity. If netflix has a required user base as others have stated and sage doesn't have it don't know that there is much if anything they can do about it.

Let's take Roku and Apple for example. Roku is on pace to sell 1 million boxes by end of year as is Apple of their new appletv. Microsoft/xbox 360 is a no brainer as far as user base as is PS3/wii.

To me I think it is just a numbers game that sagetv can't compete in. Of course I am pulling that all out of their required user base statement.
Agreed assuming the user base statement is fact. If I did not have a BD player that supports native netflix I would seriously consider a Roku or even the Apple in addition to my HD300's, heck I may get one just for the fun of it!

PC: W7 32bit, Intel Q9550 2.83 Quad, 4GB DRAM
Cap Devices: Colosuss+UIRT+Cable STB; HDHR QAM+OTA, USB MediaSonic (6TB)
Network Players: HD200, (2) HD300s
Viewing: Samsung 55" 8000, Sony 50" and HP 37"
The more complicated it is the more likely it will break!
Old 12-22-2010, 08:49 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
You can use netflix viewer. I have it installed on all of my PC clients. I use it instead of playon. http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/down...do=file&id=348. I have it installed on the server with a scheduled task setup to keep the database updated. I then use eventghost to launch the exe from which ever PC client I am using. Works great. You do not have to install it on the client. Just execute it on the client.
Maybe it's just me but I don't understand something. If it costs money or a commitment of X number of users to get a Netflix plugin approved, how did the guy that wrote the Netflix viewer noted in Steve's post manage it? I don't see where he could have possibly met any conditions like that. On the other hand, the viewer is a bit clumsy, especially when it comes to downloading information from Netflix (failed or took too long). I don't really use it anymore since I got a TV that has a NetFlix viewer built in.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:04 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger View Post
Maybe it's just me but I don't understand something. If it costs money or a commitment of X number of users to get a Netflix plugin approved, how did the guy that wrote the Netflix viewer noted in Steve's post manage it? I don't see where he could have possibly met any conditions like that. On the other hand, the viewer is a bit clumsy, especially when it comes to downloading information from Netflix (failed or took too long). I don't really use it anymore since I got a TV that has a NetFlix viewer built in.
That program is great, but it isn't a native netflix app either. It is more of a front end for the netflix web based player. It has all the same restrictions as that as well. (and the same horrible playback interface).

Old 12-23-2010, 07:26 AM
SageTVaholic

I saw something interesting in the Oppo BDP-93 thread over on AVS the other day. They stated that all the Netflix code comes from Netflix. If true that means that Netflix is actually building the apps for the various platforms, and that Netflix would have to implement "SageTV support" not the other way around.

Tags
netflix, plugin