SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 03-19-2009, 06:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

Netflix on the HD Theater

Are there any plans to add the ability to play Netflix online movies on the HD Theater? I mean native support through an upgrade, not trying to install plugins and use the loopback trick.

I think it would be a major selling point for the device!
Old 03-19-2009, 08:03 PM
SageTVaholic

I believe Netflix thru the UPnP server PlayOn is working from what I have read. I use PlayOn for Hulu access with the HD200 and it works flawlessly. I know you wanted native support, but this is a much better solution than the loop back option....
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 03-20-2009, 11:22 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbeers View Post
I believe Netflix thru the UPnP server PlayOn is working from what I have read. I use PlayOn for Hulu access with the HD200 and it works flawlessly. I know you wanted native support, but this is a much better solution than the loop back option....
You have to use it in standalone mode to do that? I use my HD200 as a media extender for my SageTV server in the basement. It's no big deal if I have to use it in standalone mode i guess, I can just cycle power and not connect to the Sage server when I want to watch netflix.

I'll have to see if there is a tutorial or a faq that shows how to use PlayOn on the HD200.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezolution View Post
You have to use it in standalone mode to do that? I use my HD200 as a media extender for my SageTV server in the basement. It's no big deal if I have to use it in standalone mode i guess, I can just cycle power and not connect to the Sage server when I want to watch netflix.

I'll have to see if there is a tutorial or a faq that shows how to use PlayOn on the HD200.
Yes in standalone. You have to add videos to your queue via a PC (from what I have read). But they should eventually (within 15 minutes) show up on the playon sever list under Netflix.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 03-20-2009, 12:29 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbeers View Post
Yes in standalone. You have to add videos to your queue via a PC (from what I have read). But they should eventually (within 15 minutes) show up on the playon sever list under Netflix.
I'm really hoping that the HD200 will get added to the list of compatible devices that can be used with Netflix online. I'm not sure that it's that much different from the Roku.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:42 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I'm really hoping that the HD200 will get added to the list of compatible devices that can be used with Netflix online. I'm not sure that it's that much different from the Roku.
While I currently don't use Netflix, I would make the jump if it was fully integrated with Sage. Unfortunately this is still a work around, but it is a much better work around than the hack/loopback option that is currently instituted.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Sage Advanced User

I actually switched over to Netflix from blockbuster, because I read that the HD200 supported Netflix. I didn't know I had to buy $30 Playon and that it only played what's in your online que

I'm hoping for the best though... LoL
Old 03-20-2009, 06:22 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
I actually switched over to Netflix from blockbuster, because I read that the HD200 supported Netflix. I didn't know I had to buy $30 Playon and that it only played what's in your online que

I'm hoping for the best though... LoL
Just to be fair, the Roku Netflix player is also limited to playing what is in your online que. I don't know of any Netflix device (other than your PC) that currently allows you to browse and add movies to your online que.

That said, I too want the HD200 to get native Netflix and Hulu support. Hopefully they will work it out soon.
Old 03-21-2009, 04:59 AM
SageTVaholic

Yeah, having to buy another piece of software to get it to work kind of stinks. However, I have to tell you that hulu support in itself was well worth the price of admission. My wife recently had surgery and sat at home for about a week and a half. We all know Daytime television is a joke (even with the Dish 200 pack). Luckily Hulu to the rescue. My wife would drop a bunch of shows into my queue and spend all day watching them. Apparently she got really into Doogie Howser...oy.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:58 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Para View Post
Just to be fair, the Roku Netflix player is also limited to playing what is in your online que. I don't know of any Netflix device (other than your PC) that currently allows you to browse and add movies to your online que.

I wasn't aware of that either. I FAIL at product researching

I'll have to ask someone that has a 360 if the 360 is able to do it.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:14 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:

The XBox 360 works the same way, you can only watch what is already in your Watch Instantly queue.

-Chris
Old 03-25-2009, 08:50 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisc16 View Post
The XBox 360 works the same way, you can only watch what is already in your Watch Instantly queue.

-Chris
Exactly. This is a Netflix limitation, and not any fault of the hardware devices used.

That's just the way it works, I'm afraid.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:38 PM

Hi All,

I just wanted to confirm if both Hulu and Netflix are working on the HD200 via PlayOn. I've been thinking about picking up an HD200 to stream movies from my HP MediaSmart Server to th 42" LCD in the living room, and Hulu and NetFlix would be huge bonuses / additions. I just want to verfiy that I'll get what I want before plunking down my $$ for PlayOn.

From what I've read though, you have to jump through some hoops to view Hulu & NetFlix. Could anyone explain the differences between extender mode and standalone mode,when I'd use each, and how you switch? I need to make it easy for the wife & our 8 year old to use so I'm not constantly getting calls, or they just stop using it.

Thanks,
Blair
Old 04-20-2009, 07:42 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:

360 only allows you to play, no queue management
Intel Xeon L? 32Gb
CetonTV cable card /FIOS
Old 04-20-2009, 07:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

As mentioned, you need to have PlayOn to get it to work (you can google it).

There are several posts concerning PlayOn, but I couldn't find a really good one to point out. Maybe someone else can.

Anyway, you install PlayOn to a PC in your network. You then enter in your account information. For Netflix, you add items (via your web browser, not in Sage) to your instant watch queue.

You then boot up your HD200 and don't have it auto-connect to your server (so you are in standalone mode). You browse filesystems, and then you will find a link to PlayOn. You go to that and then you will find several links. You scroll through directories until you find the show that you want to watch. There isn't a fancy interface, but you really don't need one. (the interface is a lot like browsing through an FTP site)

In order to switch from standalone to the server mode, just turn off your HD-200 and back on. You are given the option to not auto-connect to your SageTV server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugman30 View Post
Hi All,

I just wanted to confirm if both Hulu and Netflix are working on the HD200 via PlayOn. I've been thinking about picking up an HD200 to stream movies from my HP MediaSmart Server to th 42" LCD in the living room, and Hulu and NetFlix would be huge bonuses / additions. I just want to verfiy that I'll get what I want before plunking down my $$ for PlayOn.

From what I've read though, you have to jump through some hoops to view Hulu & NetFlix. Could anyone explain the differences between extender mode and standalone mode,when I'd use each, and how you switch? I need to make it easy for the wife & our 8 year old to use so I'm not constantly getting calls, or they just stop using it.

Thanks,
Blair
Old 04-20-2009, 08:26 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrD View Post
360 only allows you to play, no queue management
Almost correct. You can't browse the Instant movie selection on the Netflix site or add movies to the queue, but you can "Remove" videos from the queue in the 360. Did it over the weekend.

Clients: HD300 x2; HD200 x2; Placeshifter

Service: EPB Fiber (1Gb); OTA (we "cut the cord"); Netflix, Hulu, etc.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rerooks View Post
As mentioned, you need to have PlayOn to get it to work (you can google it).

There are several posts concerning PlayOn, but I couldn't find a really good one to point out. Maybe someone else can.

Anyway, you install PlayOn to a PC in your network. You then enter in your account information. For Netflix, you add items (via your web browser, not in Sage) to your instant watch queue.

You then boot up your HD200 and don't have it auto-connect to your server (so you are in standalone mode). You browse filesystems, and then you will find a link to PlayOn. You go to that and then you will find several links. You scroll through directories until you find the show that you want to watch. There isn't a fancy interface, but you really don't need one. (the interface is a lot like browsing through an FTP site)

In order to switch from standalone to the server mode, just turn off your HD-200 and back on. You are given the option to not auto-connect to your SageTV server.
Thanks rerooks.

Will running PlayOn on my HP MediaSmart Server EX485 work? that is what I'm hoping to do. That way any DVDs I rip are on the server and so is PlayOn - I won't need to have multiple boxes turned on to get both. Is there anywhere I can see screenshots of using PlayOn through the HD200?

Looking at the PlayOn site, it looks like they keep having problems with Hulu dropping out, requiring a firmware update. Does this also happen with NetFlix?

Thanks,
bugman

Last edited by bugman30; 04-20-2009 at 10:49 PM.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thumbs up

I bet if all 1,000 people that read this thread sent an email in asking for Netflix to be added, it would get added...
Old 04-29-2009, 03:36 PM
Sage User

The problem using Netflix via Playon is it seems incredibly slow. I noticed others have had this problem as well. Is there any solutions out there.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:27 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I bet if all 1,000 people that read this thread sent an email in asking for Netflix to be added, it would get added...
I do not think the desire/need for Netflix integration will come as a surprise to Sage.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.