SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by panteragstk View Post
That's exactly what they'll ask you to do. At least they asked me to use showbiz to reproduce my issue.
Any idea how to most closely reproduce the circumstances? Using Showbiz, it seems like I'd just be starting capture, stopping/saving, starting another capture, rinse and repeat. Seems like it's not close enough to SageTV, but I could be wrong.
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 11-05-2011, 07:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirge01 View Post
Any idea how to most closely reproduce the circumstances? Using Showbiz, it seems like I'd just be starting capture, stopping/saving, starting another capture, rinse and repeat. Seems like it's not close enough to SageTV, but I could be wrong.
That's what I did, but never got a bad recording. The aac issue I have happens so rarely that I don't even know how to re-create it. I've tried recording while another show is right at the end and starting and stopping multiple times. It never happened. They were always good. I've only had the issue a total of maybe 10-12 times in hundreds of recordings. I know that for me delay to record must be set at at least 10 seconds. Once I do that I have no problems. I don't channel surf (ever) so I can't attest to that issue.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:35 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
That's what I did, but never got a bad recording. The aac issue I have happens so rarely that I don't even know how to re-create it. I've tried recording while another show is right at the end and starting and stopping multiple times. It never happened. They were always good. I've only had the issue a total of maybe 10-12 times in hundreds of recordings. I know that for me delay to record must be set at at least 10 seconds. Once I do that I have no problems. I don't channel surf (ever) so I can't attest to that issue.
I would think that even if you don't channel surf, after 10 or so recordings, you'd still experience the stutter, though. Perhaps that's what people are avoiding by rebooting their computers nightly. Unless you hit that magic number, you wouldn't see the stutter. A reboot would certainly reset the counter. The more I'm thinking about this, the more I think the stutter (regrettably) might be a SageTV issue.

If anyone can think of a better way to reproduce the stutter in Showbiz, please let me know.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:43 AM
SageTVaholic

I've recorded more than 10 things in a day between reboots and still have not had a stuttering issue. I actually recorded that many things yesterday.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:09 AM
SageTVaholic

That seems odd to me. Obviously, we're talking theoretically here, but it seems like there's something specific to channel changing that can't be reproduced any other way. In my mind, that sounds like a SageTV issue with channel changing. I wonder if it has anything to do with the way they attempted to get rid of the infamous pause between shows. I didn't get to do too much testing this past weekend, but I'm hoping to do some this coming weekend. Maybe I'll get lucky and be able to reproduce it.

Just to clarify, you don't see the stutter at all? You're only getting the incorrectly flagged audio? And, you DO reboot every night?
Old 11-08-2011, 01:04 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I've recorded more than 10 things in a day between reboots and still have not had a stuttering issue. I actually recorded that many things yesterday.
I recall you said you had muleiple Colossus cards in your system. maybe the issue only shows up when the same card is initialized 10+ times..

Anybody else seeing a slight tick with the latest drivers?

When I'm watching football and the sports ticker comes on at the bottom it is not perfectly smooth. It almost seems like it drops a frame here and there not exactly sure. I"m using HDMI with Native resolution switching between 720p and 1080i. I haven't tested this on 1080i as the football games I've seen recently are all 720P.

I'm not talking about the major stutter can't watch it stuff.. it's subtle but I can see if every so often
Old 11-08-2011, 01:25 PM
Sage Icon

I don't think there is a set number one can rely on. On a bad day I have seen the stuttering issue in as few as three recordings but usually the number is a lot higher even than 10. I have a scheduled script that performs a Net Stop/Net Start of the Sage service every night and Sundays there is usually 12-15 things set to record but I haven't had a problem in 2-3 months. Also, if I were to disable the script I would likely see the stuttering on day 2 even if only a few shows had been recorded.

I want to say that I'm still using the 29192 drivers but I'll have to check when I get home.

I have far more problems with recording blue screen video and corrupt timelines than the stuttering now that I restart the service nightly.

S
Old 11-08-2011, 02:11 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrament055 View Post
I recall you said you had muleiple Colossus cards in your system. maybe the issue only shows up when the same card is initialized 10+ times..

Anybody else seeing a slight tick with the latest drivers?

When I'm watching football and the sports ticker comes on at the bottom it is not perfectly smooth. It almost seems like it drops a frame here and there not exactly sure. I"m using HDMI with Native resolution switching between 720p and 1080i. I haven't tested this on 1080i as the football games I've seen recently are all 720P.

I'm not talking about the major stutter can't watch it stuff.. it's subtle but I can see if every so often
I immediately noticed the tick with the latest 2 drivers. It annoyed me enough I went back to the driver from a couple months ago... I believe the 29192 driver. I have my directv box locked at 1080i.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynardm View Post
I immediately noticed the tick with the latest 2 drivers. It annoyed me enough I went back to the driver from a couple months ago... I believe the 29192 driver. I have my directv box locked at 1080i.
At least its not just me then.. might have to roll back drivers
Old 11-09-2011, 08:33 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Just to clarify, you don't see the stutter at all? You're only getting the incorrectly flagged audio? And, you DO reboot every night?
I do reboot at 6am every day. What are you meaning when you say stutter? Video playback isn't smooth? If that's what you mean then I don't have that issue. Silky smooth, but that greatly depends on the decoder. Some decoders are horrible at decoding the .ts files that the colossus produces. Specifically ffdshow. It is perfect for everything but colossus recordings. The ms decoders are terrible for colossus as well. I haven't tried coreavc yet. I guess I give it a whirl later and see how things go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacrament055 View Post
Nope, just the one. I'm about to order another.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:08 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
I do reboot at 6am every day. What are you meaning when you say stutter? Video playback isn't smooth? If that's what you mean then I don't have that issue. Silky smooth, but that greatly depends on the decoder. Some decoders are horrible at decoding the .ts files that the colossus produces. Specifically ffdshow. It is perfect for everything but colossus recordings. The ms decoders are terrible for colossus as well. I haven't tried coreavc yet. I guess I give it a whirl later and see how things go.

Nope, just the one. I'm about to order another.
I notice "stutter" when I tune to a stock-ticker channel. If the stock-ticker crawls are jumpy, I reboot, and everything usually clears up. Likely a memory problem, but I can't be sure
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 11-09-2011, 01:03 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
I notice "stutter" when I tune to a stock-ticker channel. If the stock-ticker crawls are jumpy, I reboot, and everything usually clears up. Likely a memory problem, but I can't be sure
Yeah, I don't have that issue at all. I never reboot my client. What decoder, or are you using an extender?
Old 11-09-2011, 01:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

Yes, the latest drivers do cause stuttering for me as well. I tried the beta driver (29291). While that one actually fixed audio issues that were present in previous drivers, it apparently came at the cost of the video part

Still using 29168, which works great. Only problem are a/v sync issues, in case that commercials are inserted locally (or from a different programming)
Old 11-09-2011, 01:40 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Yeah, I don't have that issue at all. I never reboot my client. What decoder, or are you using an extender?
sorry, it's my server I'm talking about. I use the Microsoft decoders.
Sage 9 server = Gigabyte AMD quad-core - 4 gigs - integrated ATI HD4200 chipset - SSD boot, Hitachi Deskstar show drives. HD-PVR - Colossus - Win7 32 bit. HD200/300’s networked. HDHomerun tuner. "If you've given up on Weird Al, you've given up on life" - Homer Simpson
Old 11-09-2011, 01:48 PM
Sage User

FWIW, I've been running a Colossus (v29291) for about six weeks and all recordings and playback have been flawless - knock on wood.

I though I would be setting myself up for failure running alongside an HD-PVR (lots of reported issues in various threads) but so far so good.

I actually prefer the Colossus recordings - the video seems sharper and the audio is definitely at better levels - all of my HD-PVR recordings need triple the volume at playback to get what I get from the Colossus.

I do restart my SageTV server software (no physical reboot) automatically every morning (3:00am via SJQ4) as others do here.
Clients: HD-200 (HDMI to Sony KDS60A2020), SageTV Client (MSW7)
Storage: 2008R2, WHS2011VM, RAID5-4TB

Last edited by kcormier; 11-09-2011 at 01:53 PM. Reason: Clarified that I only restart my SageTV server software daily - not reboot.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:54 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvmaster2 View Post
sorry, it's my server I'm talking about. I use the Microsoft decoders.
The microsoft decoders work great on my system, but not for colossus recordings. I most definitely see stuttering with the ms decoders. I had to switch to my extra nvidia card to test the lav cuvid decoders with colossus recordings and they are fantastic. I just got the newest coreavc ($13) to try with my low powered amd card. I'll do that when I get home and let you know how they work. I never found a good decoder for colossus recordings that was free for my amd card. Cyberlink pdvd 8 worked, but not on some other files, same with tmt3 decoder.
Old 11-10-2011, 07:37 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
The microsoft decoders work great on my system, but not for colossus recordings. I most definitely see stuttering with the ms decoders. I had to switch to my extra nvidia card to test the lav cuvid decoders with colossus recordings and they are fantastic. I just got the newest coreavc ($13) to try with my low powered amd card. I'll do that when I get home and let you know how they work. I never found a good decoder for colossus recordings that was free for my amd card. Cyberlink pdvd 8 worked, but not on some other files, same with tmt3 decoder.
The stutter shows up on hd300. Still trying to figure out a combination of decoders for my client
Old 11-12-2011, 03:07 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
What are you meaning when you say stutter? Video playback isn't smooth? If that's what you mean then I don't have that issue. Silky smooth, but that greatly depends on the decoder. Some decoders are horrible at decoding the .ts files that the colossus produces. Specifically ffdshow. It is perfect for everything but colossus recordings. The ms decoders are terrible for colossus as well. I haven't tried coreavc yet. I guess I give it a whirl later and see how things go.
I'm talking about a "jump" in the frame; almost like it skipped a frame. It might not be all that noticeable, unless it happens a lot or you're specifically looking for it. I've done one set of tests with Showbiz and believe it's happening, but I need a more action-packed movie so that it's more frequent and observable. I'll be doing that tomorrow. I'll also be testing with several versions of the Colossus drivers, to see if there's any difference.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:29 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I'm talking about a "jump" in the frame; almost like it skipped a frame. It might not be all that noticeable, unless it happens a lot or you're specifically looking for it. I've done one set of tests with Showbiz and believe it's happening, but I need a more action-packed movie so that it's more frequent and observable. I'll be doing that tomorrow. I'll also be testing with several versions of the Colossus drivers, to see if there's any difference.
Looks like the driver from 2 or 3 versions ago doesnt have the stutter
Old 11-13-2011, 05:48 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcormier View Post
FWIW, I've been running a Colossus (v29291) for about six weeks and all recordings and playback have been flawless - knock on wood.

I though I would be setting myself up for failure running alongside an HD-PVR (lots of reported issues in various threads) but so far so good.
Are either / both capturing optical audio?
SageTV server & client: Win 10 Pro x64, Intel DH67CF, Core i5 2405s, 8 GB ram, Intel HD 3000, 40GB SSD system, 4TB storage, 2x HD PVR component + optical audio, USB-UIRT 2 zones + remote hack, Logitech Harmony One, HDMI output to Sony receiver with native Intel bitstreaming