SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:00 PM
Sage Expert

Timestamp did not stop the audio sync issue. But on the first recording, it seems to be better. On the second recording (back to back), it is bad again. Also, so far *knock on wood* there does not seem to be any timestamp issue like there were before.
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Client: Windows 10 Pro

Media Extenders: HD-200 x 3, HD-200 x 2
Old 07-26-2011, 09:51 AM
Sage Aficionado

For the record, I tried the 29192 drivers and instantly had a 0% success rate resuming from S3 standby so I'm back to the 29111(?). Nobody else reported this, am I the only one?
Old 07-26-2011, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texneus View Post
For the record, I tried the 29192 drivers and instantly had a 0% success rate resuming from S3 standby so I'm back to the 29111(?). Nobody else reported this, am I the only one?
I don't used standby other then the monitor or a power fail where UPS take over.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:02 AM
Sage User

I only use the monitor standby as well.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:32 PM
Sage User

I used standby with the new drivers and never had a problem. But standby is so flaky it's easy to believe that a new driver could cause problems. Two Win7-64 machines I have will go into standby manually no problem but they will NEVER go automatically to sleep. I gave up on using it a long, long time ago because of the flakiness but I put the server to sleep a couple of times lately (since the new drivers) because the heat wave added to the heat the computer was throwing off was unbearable.
Drives
: 250GB, 500GB, 2-1TB, MyBook 320GB, Elements 1TB, MyBookWorld 2TB, MyBookLive 3TB (All WD)
Peripherals
: Logitech (Performance MX mouse, Illuminated keyboard), USB-UIRT
Network
: Linksys WRT610N router, SageTV HD300
Software
: Win7-64, SageTV 7.1.19
Old 07-27-2011, 05:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

Not sure what you mean by "flakey", usually it's all or nothing. Occasionally it does need some troubleshooting to get it to that point. This is an exception but I'm not very willing to work on it since it does not appear to solve the audio sync over S/PDIF issue. 29111 is actually working very well for me, except for that one problem.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:58 PM
Sage User

By flaky I mean that sometimes standby works, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes the computer will wake up, sometimes it won't. Sometimes certain devices will not reactivate, sometimes they will. I've tried to get standby working on various computers for years and I've never had long-term success. And as I said, the new drivers don't seem to affect my S3 mode as I've actually had 100% success in bringing my computer out of standby since installing them (the few times that I've used standby). Not that standby works better now, it just doesn't seem to work any worse.
Drives
: 250GB, 500GB, 2-1TB, MyBook 320GB, Elements 1TB, MyBookWorld 2TB, MyBookLive 3TB (All WD)
Peripherals
: Logitech (Performance MX mouse, Illuminated keyboard), USB-UIRT
Network
: Linksys WRT610N router, SageTV HD300
Software
: Win7-64, SageTV 7.1.19
Old 07-30-2011, 09:14 AM
Sage Aficionado

Colossus - Stability... is it there yet?

Hi all,

I've been reading this thread off and on and need to purchase another HD capture device that will be connected to a Bell Expressvu (ie: Dish Network) receiver.

My current setup includes two HD-PVR's that are more or less happily functioning. Regardless of the solution, I'll use a USB-UIRT for channel changing.

With two HD-PVRs currently in-place, should I purchase another HD-PVR, or should I jump to a Colossus? I was going to go the HD-PVR route, but it seems most online stores are sold out of HD-PVRs.

I'm a little skeptical of the Colossus based on the fact that SageTV is now more or less a dead project.. lol

Any quick suggestions on this?
Server: AMD Phenom Quad-Core 2.3Ghz, 4GB RAM, ECS A780GM-A MB, 2x HD-PVRs (connected to DirecTV HD STBs using ethernet channel changing), 1x AverMedia A180, OS RAID-1 mirror - 2x250GB 7200rpm SATA, Media RAID-1 mirror - 2x1TB 7200rpm SATA, USB-UIRT (remote control)
Main Client: Sage STX-HD100 Media extender
Second Client: Athlon XP 4000+, 2GB MB PC3200 DDR, Asus A8N5X MB, 512MB PCI-E ATI HD Radeon 3650, 160 GB SATA - hardware mirrored
Old 07-30-2011, 10:37 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianEh View Post
Hi all,

I've been reading this thread off and on and need to purchase another HD capture device that will be connected to a Bell Expressvu (ie: Dish Network) receiver.

My current setup includes two HD-PVR's that are more or less happily functioning. Regardless of the solution, I'll use a USB-UIRT for channel changing.

With two HD-PVRs currently in-place, should I purchase another HD-PVR, or should I jump to a Colossus? I was going to go the HD-PVR route, but it seems most online stores are sold out of HD-PVRs.

I'm a little skeptical of the Colossus based on the fact that SageTV is now more or less a dead project.. lol

Any quick suggestions on this?
I love the concept of Colossus. Two HD Cards internal in the case.

I want the Colossus to work. But for some of us, there are problems. With FIOS, I am getting excellent quality of recording, after an hour with commercial breaks, there is a noticeable out of sync between audio and video. Hopefully this gets fixed.
Media Server: Win 7 Home (32 bit), GIGABYTE GA-EP43-UD3L LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Intel Motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 Yorkfield 2.83GHz, 4 GB Ram, Geforce 9600 GT PCI-E, 1x HD PVR, HD homerun (2x for OTA, 1x for FIOS QAM), 1 x HD Homerun Prime with cablecard from FIOS.

Old 07-31-2011, 09:24 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergq View Post
I love the concept of Colossus. Two HD Cards internal in the case.

I want the Colossus to work. But for some of us, there are problems. With FIOS, I am getting excellent quality of recording, after an hour with commercial breaks, there is a noticeable out of sync between audio and video. Hopefully this gets fixed.
Yeah, I thought more about this and ended up buying another HD-PVR. While they're not incredibly stable, either, at least it has longevity by living through the several SageTV product cycles, and is also well-supported by other PVR solutions out there, should I end up needing to move away from SageTV.

Thank you for the honest input
Server: AMD Phenom Quad-Core 2.3Ghz, 4GB RAM, ECS A780GM-A MB, 2x HD-PVRs (connected to DirecTV HD STBs using ethernet channel changing), 1x AverMedia A180, OS RAID-1 mirror - 2x250GB 7200rpm SATA, Media RAID-1 mirror - 2x1TB 7200rpm SATA, USB-UIRT (remote control)
Main Client: Sage STX-HD100 Media extender
Second Client: Athlon XP 4000+, 2GB MB PC3200 DDR, Asus A8N5X MB, 512MB PCI-E ATI HD Radeon 3650, 160 GB SATA - hardware mirrored
Old 08-03-2011, 03:52 AM
Sage Aficionado

I have been working on my setup. I originally had 2 HD-PVR's but 1 HD-PVR went bad. I bought a colossus. I instantly had issues when installed along with a HD-PVR. So I ran the Colossus alone. It was ok but had some issues. I exp what most everyone else experienced (using optical audio sync, occasional blue screen when playing back).

Recently, I upgraded to the new drivers. So I decided to try both the HD-PVR and Colossus, they seemed to be a lot happier. I bought a second Colossus. After some weird issues (mainly with bad optical audio connection) I finally got both working. I initially used the optical input for audio. Happauge has seemed to improved this (I did not exp any audio sync issues) but it does seem to tax the server heavily. Right now I am running 2 Collosus using analog for sound and everything has been solid. Tuning seems faster, the picture is great. SO far so good.

I just thought I would provide some input of what I have experience since the Colossus first came out and the state it is currently in.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:10 AM
Sage Aficionado

Audio Issue? (Not the sync one though?)

I've had a colossus since march and for the most part have been happy with it. But since I installed the card, I've had intermittent issues with recordings off the colossus.

When watching a video it'll get "stuck" and then suddenly jump ahead, only to get stuck again.

I've got the updated codecs (ffdshow, as well as the microsoft codecs), and drivers (both cards are using the latest drivers from hauppauge).

Last night when I was checking out a "bad" recording through media player (and reclock) I noticed that anytime there was a "skip", there was also no audio. If forced the audio to a specific rate (I don't remember how I did it--i was tired! :P ), the video would play correctly but there wouldn't be sound for that second or 2.

My question is: Is anybody else seeing this? Is there a known work around?

Here's the specs on my setup:

Colossus card (connected via component cables & rca audio)
HVR-2250 -- via coax
Using optimum cable
Win 7 Professional (64 bit)
4 Gigs of ram
Old 08-04-2011, 08:32 PM
Sage User

Colossus does work on WMC7, puuurfectly

After working on Colossus for days with no joy, I decided to remove it from Sage, and fire up WMC (ultimate), install the WMC service, and import it into WMC, within the same VM (PCI passthrough). So it imports the channels, sees the colossus, etc. In ten minutes Im saving a show. Not one skip, bump, etc when using component/optical. So I try it for a couple days and about 20 recordings. Not a single problem. This is while SageTV is running in the same VM, mind you.

So I take it out of WMC, put it back into Sage, and voila. Skips, jumps, java stack blowing out.

Result: Sage is the problem, not the colossus. Theres something amiss. When the Java stack eats up a 1GB (VM still only using 2 of 3 GB), bye bye. It seems to get worse on every channel change.

So I removed the Colossus from the Sage VM, created a new Win7 WMC VM, and set it up again. Now two weeks without a problem.

Running Sage server 2011061301.

It's too bad, because was absolutely stable for years w/ HDhomerun (I didnt have cable). So now I have 3 months left on my FIOS DVR before the $20/month vig kicks in.

I have sold off my HD300s, and I think my HD200's are next. The WAF is going down big time.

So now I struggle w/ the fact that outside all I like about Sage, for TV the best feature was commercial skip and the kids dont watch commercials. I have moved them to Netflix, so thats not a problem.

So what do you guys think of the next move: GoogleTV with its broken ecosystem and future, or plunge into WMC and start buying 80Watt eating Xboxes for all the TV's in the house, or something else I wont have to ffidle with for a few years? With MSFT I have a shot at a few years of it running. Google, who knows where it is going...

Funnily enough I was cleaning out one of my rooms, and I dusted off my ReplayTV, another victim of a perfect DVR that bites the dust.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:44 PM
Sage Aficionado

Would this be a problem w/ Sage or w/ java?
Old 08-05-2011, 04:34 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by elefante View Post
After working on Colossus for days with no joy, I decided to remove it from Sage, and fire up WMC (ultimate), install the WMC service, and import it into WMC, within the same VM (PCI passthrough). So it imports the channels, sees the colossus, etc. In ten minutes Im saving a show. Not one skip, bump, etc when using component/optical. So I try it for a couple days and about 20 recordings. Not a single problem. This is while SageTV is running in the same VM, mind you.

So I take it out of WMC, put it back into Sage, and voila. Skips, jumps, java stack blowing out.

Result: Sage is the problem, not the colossus. Theres something amiss. When the Java stack eats up a 1GB (VM still only using 2 of 3 GB), bye bye. It seems to get worse on every channel change.

So I removed the Colossus from the Sage VM, created a new Win7 WMC VM, and set it up again. Now two weeks without a problem.

Running Sage server 2011061301.

It's too bad, because was absolutely stable for years w/ HDhomerun (I didnt have cable). So now I have 3 months left on my FIOS DVR before the $20/month vig kicks in.

I have sold off my HD300s, and I think my HD200's are next. The WAF is going down big time.

So now I struggle w/ the fact that outside all I like about Sage, for TV the best feature was commercial skip and the kids dont watch commercials. I have moved them to Netflix, so thats not a problem.

So what do you guys think of the next move: GoogleTV with its broken ecosystem and future, or plunge into WMC and start buying 80Watt eating Xboxes for all the TV's in the house, or something else I wont have to ffidle with for a few years? With MSFT I have a shot at a few years of it running. Google, who knows where it is going...

Funnily enough I was cleaning out one of my rooms, and I dusted off my ReplayTV, another victim of a perfect DVR that bites the dust.
But you are also running Sage in a VM. Other users also have the Colossus working perfectly in Sage on a physical machine. So maybe WMC plays better in a VM than Sage and java. It is just like the USB HD-PVR. Some have no issues whatsoever and others do.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:07 AM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwc View Post
I've had a colossus since march and for the most part have been happy with it. But since I installed the card, I've had intermittent issues with recordings off the colossus.

When watching a video it'll get "stuck" and then suddenly jump ahead, only to get stuck again.

I've got the updated codecs (ffdshow, as well as the microsoft codecs), and drivers (both cards are using the latest drivers from hauppauge).

Last night when I was checking out a "bad" recording through media player (and reclock) I noticed that anytime there was a "skip", there was also no audio. If forced the audio to a specific rate (I don't remember how I did it--i was tired! :P ), the video would play correctly but there wouldn't be sound for that second or 2.

My question is: Is anybody else seeing this? Is there a known work around?

Here's the specs on my setup:

Colossus card (connected via component cables & rca audio)
HVR-2250 -- via coax
Using optimum cable
Win 7 Professional (64 bit)
4 Gigs of ram
Did you try the timestamp correction for the registry?
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...postcount=1505

This solved the skip problems for me. I went into that section of the registry, export the settings to a txt file, added the line to the end of the registry, imported the line, restarted the computer, and have not seen the skip since.

let me be clear though, this did not solve my audio sync issues.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:47 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergq View Post
Did you try the timestamp correction for the registry?
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/show...postcount=1505
That post references a TBC (Time Base Correction) function. Did you intend to reference something else? Timestamp correction is a completely different function which I assume here refers to re-computing and applying new time stamps to a digital A/V stream so the audio is correctly synchronized to the video. A TBC corrects timing errors in horizontal and vertical video sync signals (usually introduced by the many variables in a helical scanning analog video system, aka a VCR). Extremely sloppy video timing would result in a capture device being unable to synchronize to the incoming video signals. More typically though it just makes the video look "sloppy".
Old 08-05-2011, 09:24 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by texneus View Post
That post references a TBC (Time Base Correction) function. Did you intend to reference something else? Timestamp correction is a completely different function which I assume here refers to re-computing and applying new time stamps to a digital A/V stream so the audio is correctly synchronized to the video. A TBC corrects timing errors in horizontal and vertical video sync signals (usually introduced by the many variables in a helical scanning analog video system, aka a VCR). Extremely sloppy video timing would result in a capture device being unable to synchronize to the incoming video signals. More typically though it just makes the video look "sloppy".
Actually, I referred to the right post, called it the wrong thing. This solution fixed the problem of the video file skipping ahead which is a problem he seems to be referring too.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:37 PM
SageTVaholic

Got DirecTV installed today. First recording went well. HDMI with native output and dolby digital enabled on stb are working. I had the channel change delay at 4, but have changed it to 12 to see if A/V can lock on better. The first recording has about 30sec of stuck screen, but the rest of the recording is fine. HTTP channel changing with the supplied DTV broadband adapter eliminates the need for ethernet at the stb. Pretty cool.
Theater: nVidia Shield TV, mini client, Plex for movies, 120" screen. Mitsubishi HC4000. Denon X4300H. 7.4.4 speaker setup.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:57 AM
Sage Aficionado

Ok, So I am running 2 Colossus cards, latest drivers and latest RC of sage, And This having to re-start sage everything is getting kinda annoying.

If I don't the cards start getting that audio interruption thing. Anyone know of anyway to force sage to release the hardware for a second then re-initialize it without having to restart sage itself? Id wonder if being able to do this every 6 hours or so would eliminate my need to restart sage every night.