SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:34 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
I'm trying to figure out a source of HDAudio that you would need a collossus to record from. Currently, the only source of HD Audio is BluRay and HD-DVD, and you'd be much better off ripping them, than capturing them.
Yeah BD's aren't a concern, can be dealt with "on PC"
Some PS3 games use HD audio (compressed but much more bandwidth than 2ch LPCM), & I believe even the rare Xbox game.
But I think the latter has no way if passing it's HD audio, i think it's limited to passing only 2ch LPCM DD/DTS 5.1 via s/pdif.

I'm wanting to pass my PS3's HD audio to a HDMI capture card, that's capable of receiving it.
I don't have to worry about finding card with a "flaw" (like the avermedia) that enables it to bypass HDCP.
I just need to focus on finding a capture device that can capture "HD" audio.*

Why is that?
Because apparently there's a HDCP stripper coming which allows sources to pass "HD" audio via HDMI-out instead of the usual s/pdif.

*that in itself is proving tricky enough!

Last edited by jalyst; 03-02-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:22 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skirge01 View Post
I just made the change on both my units. The movie I first noticed PQ issues on is showing again on Monday on the same channel I previously saw the issue, so I'll be doing a nearly direct comparison. If I see the artifacts go away, I'll record it at the old setting again and post some screenshots of both, so people can see the difference.
I recorded Castaway again last night and saw the exact same issues. There was absolutely no improvement in the PQ with the HDPVRMax setting. Now, I need to watch it live and remove the HD-PVR from the equation to figure out if it's the HD-PVR or the broadcast.
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 03-01-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Yes ideally "HD" audio via HDMI, but I suspect the HDMI capture side is limited to 2ch PCM only.
This seems to be common with most HDMI capture cards, only found 2 so far that do a bit better.
Need to say you will not be able to cap just audio you have cap both audio and video then demux it for audio

Quote:
So I'd also be interested in whether the DD5.1 captured via toslink, is also able to be dumped.
It should works how ever I can't test this becuase my DirecTV STB H24-100 dosen't have toslink output.

Quote:
So you think colossus's HDMI capture may be able to grab > 2ch LPCM & bitstream that?
But not the encoded/compressed DD or DTS "HD" surround formats? e.g. DTS-MA, True-HD etc.
Yes bitstream mode, I ready sent note off to Hauppauge to see if this can be look at for us DirecTV and Dish user over HDMI and I ref to 8ch PCM encoded which would need a new Audio Licensing in order to do 5.1 or 7.1 encoding over AAC or AC3

Last edited by SHS; 03-01-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 11:50 AM
Sage Fanatic

Today My SageTV server crashed again and no logs nothing is recorded about the crash

It seem to crash every 1-2 days if you notice my previous post about it crashing.

I never had it crash on me before with PVR-500 or previous version of SageTV for the last 4+ years

What it would do is after a day or so the video started to shutter or choppy then a couple of hour it would crash and a hard reboot only way to bring it back.

I run my server headless and use HD300

Bill
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI // AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz // G.SKILL 6GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Seagate ST3750640AS 750GB SATA-300 16MB // DVD R/W - SAMSUNG Black
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Windows 7 Professional 64bits // SageTV 7.1.x // Java 1.7.x
Old 03-01-2011, 12:12 PM
Sage Expert

Am I the only one that reboots their server every day? I have always done this. Not because I had stability problems, but just because it was a preference. Sometimes I disable the auto reboot for whatever reason, and after a few days I notice the HD200 starts to get a little laggy. Then again, there are probably very few people also running Vista (puke), so that might have something to do with it too.
1x STX-HD100
3x STP-HD200
@cliftpompee
Old 03-01-2011, 12:43 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Because apparently there's a stripper coming soon which allows sources to pass "HD" audio via HDMI-out instead of the usual s/pdif.
HD Audio can only be transferred over HDMI, not s/pdif...

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 03-01-2011, 12:59 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clift View Post
Am I the only one that reboots their server every day? I have always done this. Not because I had stability problems, but just because it was a preference. Sometimes I disable the auto reboot for whatever reason, and after a few days I notice the HD200 starts to get a little laggy. Then again, there are probably very few people also running Vista (puke), so that might have something to do with it too.
I schedule the Sage service to stop/restart every night, but don't reboot WHS
Old 03-01-2011, 01:10 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by patja View Post
I schedule the Sage service to stop/restart every night, but don't reboot WHS
How do you do that?

PC: W7 32bit, Intel Q9550 2.83 Quad, 4GB DRAM
Cap Devices: Colosuss+UIRT+Cable STB; HDHR QAM+OTA, USB MediaSonic (6TB)
Network Players: HD200, (2) HD300s
Viewing: Samsung 55" 8000, Sony 50" and HP 37"
The more complicated it is the more likely it will break!
Old 03-01-2011, 01:13 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
I refer to it as a therapeutic reboot. We do these at work as well. If you can why not.
Old 03-01-2011, 01:39 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bits View Post
How do you do that?
NET STOP SageTV
NET START SageTV

should do it.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 03-01-2011, 01:42 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
NET STOP SageTV
NET START SageTV

should do it.
Where do I enter these commands? Sorry for my ignorance!

Old 03-01-2011, 02:12 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Open notepad and put those commands in then save the file as restart_sage.bat. Make sure you change the type box from text to all files or notepad will save it as .bat.txt. You can then use task scheduler to fire the .bat file at whatever time of day/week you want.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:13 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
i would create a DOS-like *.bat file, then use windows scheduler to run it at a specific time each day

i use one of these scheduled files to move my daily recordings off the sageTV machine onto a network drive
Old 03-01-2011, 02:36 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post
Open notepad and put those commands in then save the file as restart_sage.bat. Make sure you change the type box from text to all files or notepad will save it as .bat.txt. You can then use task scheduler to fire the .bat file at whatever time of day/week you want.
Little trick - when you save it, save it as "restart_sage.bat" (WITH the quotes) that way you don't have to go back and remove the .txt extension.
Old 03-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Sage Icon

Therapeutic Reboot - Good time to backup the important SageTV files as well.

Saved as "SageBackup.bat" run via the windows scheduler at like 3am.
@echo off

echo Backup Sagetv Config ...
NET STOP SageTV
C:
CD C:\Program Files (x86)\SageTV\SageTV\
copy Wiz.bin F:\Backups\Sage_Config\SageTV /Y
copy Wiz.bak F:\Backups\Sage_Config\SageTV /Y
copy Sage.properties F:\Backups\Sage_Config\SageTV /Y

shutdown -r -t 30

Last edited by SWKerr; 03-02-2011 at 06:45 AM.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:01 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWKerr View Post
Therapeutic Reboot - Good time to backup the important SageTV files as well.
Getting pretty far off topic here, but you should really back up the entire SageTV installation directory. In particular, backing up the .properties file without also backing up all of the installed plugin files will lead to an inconsistent state on restore that will break the plugin system. The safest strategy is to back up everything instead of trying to pick and choose.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
NET STOP SageTV
NET START SageTV

should do it.
Should also mention this only works if you are running SageTV as a service.

Good to have the restart in the batch file, but I find that the restart is more consistent when I run it as a task in Task Scheduler. It also gives me a "paper trail" so I can periodically make sure the task completes successfully, and if it doesn't, what caused it. For example, using Task Scheduler I can put in filters to prevent the server from restarting if, say, I happen to be watching TV late night, have a download ongoing, if there's a pesky H.264 comskip running, or if SageTV is recording.
1x STX-HD100
3x STP-HD200
@cliftpompee
Old 03-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechBill View Post
Today My SageTV server crashed again and no logs nothing is recorded about the crash

It seem to crash every 1-2 days if you notice my previous post about it crashing.

I never had it crash on me before with PVR-500 or previous version of SageTV for the last 4+ years

What it would do is after a day or so the video started to shutter or choppy then a couple of hour it would crash and a hard reboot only way to bring it back.

I run my server headless and use HD300

Bill

Disable all plugins but not the Diamond Theme to see if server stay up for more than 2 days this time.

Bill
GIGABYTE GA-MA69GM-S2H AM2 AMD 690G HDMI // AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Windsor 3.0GHz // G.SKILL 6GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Hauppauge Colossus HD-PVR // Seagate ST3750640AS 750GB SATA-300 16MB // DVD R/W - SAMSUNG Black
Media Extenders
HD300
HTPC Software
Windows 7 Professional 64bits // SageTV 7.1.x // Java 1.7.x
Old 03-01-2011, 04:36 PM
Sage Advanced User

Card is here!!!! popped it in. go to sage to setup new card, and sage crashes. no error, no nothing, just disappears. WinTV7 works fine, sage crashes.... Any thoughts? i tried the cd driver and the beta posted on shs. I turned off the HDPVRs as well. Could it be a customization in sage.properties?
Old 03-01-2011, 05:09 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Should also mention this only works if you are running SageTV as a service.

Good to have the restart in the batch file, but I find that the restart is more consistent when I run it as a task in Task Scheduler. It also gives me a "paper trail" so I can periodically make sure the task completes successfully, and if it doesn't, what caused it. For example, using Task Scheduler I can put in filters to prevent the server from restarting if, say, I happen to be watching TV late night, have a download ongoing, if there's a pesky H.264 comskip running, or if SageTV is recording.
I must not be running SageTV as a service because NET STOP SageTV does nothing. I created Stop_SageTV.bat with the single line NET STOP SageTV and executed it, but SageTV did not close. How can I tell whether I am running as a service or as a what?

Thank you for the help.

Last edited by bits; 03-01-2011 at 05:31 PM.