SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 11-21-2010, 09:12 AM
Sage Fanatic

Make Harmony remote *not* like HD300?

Hey Guys,

I know most of you likely select the HD200 in Harmony remote setup. However, I want to run both the HD300 and my server HTPC in a similar location. I have them both setup and working but I can only run one at a time because the HD300 signals are picked up by my USB-UIRT and the USB-UIRT signals are picked up by the HD300. Since my remote commands are the same, trying to control one affects the other... not good

Any suggestions? My thinking is to setup my USB-UIRT to use remote commands completely different than the HD300 remote and then program the Harmony accordingly. Have any of you done this and have a good recommendation on what to use for the Harmony setup that won't use the same commands as the HD300?

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2010, 01:14 PM
Sage Aficionado

Since the IR codes are the same, I think you are going to have issues unless use a RF repeater for one device. There may some way to change the IR codes in Sage but I have never ran across any such item.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:19 PM
Sage Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetreL View Post
Since the IR codes are the same, I think you are going to have issues unless use a RF repeater for one device. There may some way to change the IR codes in Sage but I have never ran across any such item.
When you are using the USB-UIRT you assign which IR codes do what. That is what I'm using with the Harmony. I can do this but just curious if anybody has done similar and has any suggestions.

If no "proven" ideas, I'll probably just grab one of my older remotes that has similar keys and map all those to the Harmony and map the Harmony to the USB-UIRT. That'll take me a little while so was just wondering if there was a better way

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2010, 03:40 PM
Sage Expert

I just picked a Panasonic stereo remote of some sort for my Harmony because I don't have any Panasonic equipment. Just rename the device to SageTV and then teach Sage the codes. Keeps it from interfering with anything else I have set up.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:48 PM
Sage Fanatic

Thanks! I don't have any Panasonic stuff either so that sounds like it'll work
Old 11-21-2010, 05:36 PM
Sage Expert

Oh the other nice thing is IIRC none of Panasonic's remotes use toggle codes. I know for a fact the one I chose doesn't. That way I only have to program one code instead of two for each button
Old 11-21-2010, 06:47 PM
SageTVaholic

I have both an HD200 and an HD100 in the same room (for watching two football games at once). I removed the commands for the HDx00 remote on the HD100 and removed the commands for the Hauppauge Remote from the HD200 so now I use my Harmony remote (with the HDx00 codes) for my HD200 and use an old crappy Hauppauge Remote for the HD100. Once my new Harmony One comes (I ran out of devices on my 700) I am hoping to program in the Hauppauge remote in as well so I can do it all from my Harmony.

The only thing I am having an issue with is removing the "select" command. Ho Hum.
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 11-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Sage Fanatic

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I hope to have some time to get this setup mid next week.

One thing that I'm having issues with on my own Harmony One remote is the speed at which the Harmony One sends out another command. This has been causing me to use my HD PVR remote for my HTPC because I can't get the Harmony to "speed up". I realize that there is a setting in the Harmony setup for delay between sending commands but I have changed this several times and have it all the way down to 0 and it still behaves like it is a 1/4 second or so (no changes from the original setting). Meaning, with my HD PVR remote and on the main menu with the top menu item selected, I can hit the "down" button and as fast as I can hit that button it'll move down. However, with my Harmony, it is definitely being "held up" because no matter how fast I press the button it is an obvious delay to the next item that is the same as the previous. If it "remembers" 3 or 4 presses, it executes those way after I stopped pressing buttons. Anybody seen this or have any ideas? I'm within my 90 day period so if nobody has seen this, I'll call tech support and see if they have any pointers.

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2010, 09:53 AM
Sage Advanced User

I think some of the devices on the harmony site have delays built into the remote codes, so changing the settings in the harmony doesn't make any difference.

Raising a support ticket with logitech would probably be useful as they can make custom changes to your stored config if needed, which you then just update into your harmony.

Overall I found the harmony is slower than normal remotes but for most use it's acceptable. I've found the biggest pain is switching everything off, waiting while it goes through each device, or the inability to support short press and long press on the same button. My sat receiver can have multi-function coloured buttons based on the hold time.

The big problem with AIO IR remotes is that they're IR. Advantage is they're cheap and cheerful. RF to Serial should make things nicer, but that's a whole different price range, both for the remote and the components with serial control.