SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 11-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Sage User

help installing sage tv on WHS

I have a WHS on an HP data vault. I have downloaded the software to the WHS software folder and remote logged in and browsed to the .exe file. However when I try to install, it wants to install the sage software onto my PC and not the server. I have tried to search the forum , but cant find the answer. Any help would be appreciated
Old 11-06-2010, 10:51 PM
Sage Fanatic

First make sure that you download the correct Sage version for WHS, it will have the extension .msi NOT .exe. Save the .msi file into your WHS shared folder called "Software" and place it in the "Add-ins" subfolder.

Then, from the WHS console click on "Settings" and look for "Add-ins" in the column on the left. In the right column, find the button labeled "Available" where you should see SageTV as an add-in. Just install it from here and you are good to go!

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server
Old 11-06-2010, 11:14 PM
Sage User

Thanks PG
I did think it strange that there was not a WHS poduct here

I will now follow your instructions and hopefully all will be well.
Thanks again
Old 11-06-2010, 11:17 PM
Sage Fanatic

You should have no trouble with it, especially if you've install any 3rd party plug-in for WHS. I assume you are wanting to use the Release Candidate for version 7? If so, go HERE to download the correct version. Please let me know how it works out for you either way!

-PGPfan
Sage Server: Gigabyte 690AMD m-ATX, Athlon II X4 620 Propus, 3.0 GB ram, (1) VistaView dual analog PCI-e tuner, (2) Avermedia Purity 3D MCE 250's, (1) HD-Homerun, 1.5 TB of hard drives in a Windows Home Server drive pool, Western Digital 300GB 'scratch' disk outside the pool, Gigabit LAN
Sage Clients: MSI DIVA m-ATX, 5.1 channel 100w/channel amplifier card, 2 GB ram, , (1) Hauppauge MVP, (1) SageTV HD-100 Media Storage: unRAID 3.6TB server

Last edited by PGPfan; 11-06-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:48 PM
Sage User

pg thanks for your help. The 2 things I had been doing incorrectly,
1. Not downloading the right version of sage tv
2. Trying to install by browsing to the file and executing from there.

Last edited by razorack; 11-07-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Sage Fanatic

Good to hear it working for you! I think you'll enjoy Sage - if you need any help with anything else, feel free to post it on the forums. There are a lot of great folks on here and we always try to help!

-PGPfan
Old 11-08-2010, 08:45 PM
Sage User

ok now I have another issue that I hope someone can help me with.
My files are all in a folder TVIXHD1 on my WHS. But sage cant see them for some reason.
So I have tried adding the folder as a media centre import directory in the detailed setup screen as \\localhost\tvixhd1\videos but after I hit enter there is no change to the import directories.

As an alternative I have tried moving the TVIXhd1 folder into the \\localhost\videos folder, which sage can see, but I am getting an access refused message. This means that all my files are stuck in a legacy folder created for my tvix.

Is this a sagetv problem or a WHS problem?
Old 11-09-2010, 12:07 AM
Sage Fanatic

Could be an issue with both Sage and WHS. When you created the import directory in Sage, how EXACTLY did you do it? I've found that for me, the easiest is to just step through the various 'up a directory' or whatever the browse terminology is in Sage until I find the import directory, rather that entering it in as a text string when setting it up. (Hard to explain, I hope it makes sense)

The other thing WHS wise to be careful of is to pay close attention to permissions with WHS. I've seen several instances where folks had issues until the permissions were resolved.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful - hopefully somebody else will chime in with a better worded explaination of how they do setup.

-PGPfan
Old 11-09-2010, 12:49 AM
Sage User

PG not sure why but your suggestion to go up a directory worked. I finally found the directory and I have played a few files. Thanks again
Old 11-09-2010, 02:39 AM
Sage User

Random question - can the SageTV UI (and therefore the initial setup) be conducted on the WHS, or only by a client machine?
Old 11-09-2010, 10:15 AM
Sage User

It can be if you use RDP (remote desktop connection) to remote into the server and launch the SageTV UI from there. Of course, Microsoft does not recommend remotely connecting into the server and doing stuff but if you don't do "stupid" things, you shouldn't have a problem. I've been doing that for over a year and no issues.

You cannot run the UI from the WHS console.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:05 AM
Sage User

You certainly can run the Sage UI via RDP, but don't be surprised if you can't preview some/all of your channels. The graphics card/codec mix on your WHS box may not be capable enough. This won't however, affect playback on your chosen client. Note that you can also configure most if not all of the server-side settings from the client.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:21 AM
Sage Fanatic

razorak, Glad to see it all is working for you! I think the "up a directory" method works best because rather than you telling Sage what folder to look for, Sage is telling you what folder it 'sees' and you just confirm the settings when it 'sees' the correct import folder. Does that make sense?

tsheal, You really should to all interaction with Sage from a client machine - The WHS version of Sage includes one client license for this very purpose.

As for the RDP/Sage UI thing, WHS is really meant to be a server and the only interface that is really meant to be used is the WHS console - not RDP. Yes, you 'can' use RDP, but that's not how it's designed to work.

-PGPfan

Last edited by PGPfan; 11-10-2010 at 12:25 AM.