SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:02 AM
Sage User

Unable to Browse Network in Service Mode

Running version 7.0.21.244 and in service mode it cant browse the network and see network mapped drives. In GUI mode all it works fine.
I have set the service to local on as the same account that the computer logs on with that has access to the network but it still is unable to see the network share.

The error 'invalid directory' shows when I click on Network in the Media Import dialog.

Sage running on Windows 7
The network share its trying to access is also Windows 7.

Thanks for any help
Mark

Last edited by mlw123; 10-22-2010 at 05:05 AM.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Make sure network discovery is turned on for Win 7. Make sure it is designated as the Home or Private network. Make sure the user account has a password when running the service. I would also put the user account in the Administrators group.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:52 AM
Sage User

Yep all those are set, also made a home group and add both computers, still will not work in service mode.

Thanks
Mark
Old 10-22-2010, 07:38 AM
Sage Expert

This has been an issue since v6 and I can report I also see it every now and then in both XP and Win7. It hasn't yet been fixed.

On my system I can reproduce it any time I want by simply power-cycling my NAS without restarting the Windows machine.

The issue is that Sage's folder browser is sitting with one of the folders on the NAS as the "current folder" - restarting the NAS, while it doesn't make the whole network disappear obviously, somehow causes Sage to flip out and stop showing the Network browse option at all. The only way to fix the issue is to restart the Windows machine.

I think I've reported it twice to Sage, the last time it was supposed to be fixed in the next version. I can still see the issue now though. I suppose I should send another email...
Old 10-22-2010, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlw123 View Post
Running version 7.0.21.244 and in service mode it cant browse the network and see network mapped drives.
Don't forget that mapped drive letters (if that's what you meant) are not visible to a service.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:47 AM
Sage Expert

I don't know about anyone else, but I don't use mapped drive letters in Windows, so it's definitely not what I was talking about. Whatever the case, if there's a network available,then Sage should allow browsing to the network, even if no shares are present. In my case there are always shares on the network.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:58 PM
Sage Expert

Browse Network Shares

I _think_ it was possible to browse network shares on v6 but I'm not seeing that on v7. I am able to browse the sage server as well as the import and tv directories through the search function, but I'm not seeing a way to browse the network.

I am running win7 on the sage server as well as the network machine I'd like to browse. I'd prefer not to add this as an import directory. Matter of fact, I wasn't able to add the UNC path to the network machine as an import directory (said directory didn't exist even though I could see it from windows explorer). I am running sage in service mode. I am also using an hd200 as my frontend.

Any ideas?

*EDIT* Somehow missed the earlier thread. I guess this could be merged with that thread as it appears our problems are the same.

Last edited by dinki; 10-22-2010 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:15 AM
Sage User

Just to confirm I can see both mapped drives and browse the network in gui mode but in service mode clicking on network after about 5 secs shows the invalid directory error.

Thanks
Mark
Old 10-24-2010, 10:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Make sure you have the service configured to run as a user with appropriate network permissions. LocalSystem (the default) does not have such permission and cannot access network resources.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinki View Post
I _think_ it was possible to browse network shares on v6 but I'm not seeing that on v7. I am able to browse the sage server as well as the import and tv directories through the search function, but I'm not seeing a way to browse the network.

I am running win7 on the sage server as well as the network machine I'd like to browse. I'd prefer not to add this as an import directory. Matter of fact, I wasn't able to add the UNC path to the network machine as an import directory (said directory didn't exist even though I could see it from windows explorer). I am running sage in service mode. I am also using an hd200 as my frontend.

Any ideas?

*EDIT* Somehow missed the earlier thread. I guess this could be merged with that thread as it appears our problems are the same.
I also do not see where to browse the network on SageTV7 and I am not using the local file system... using a user with full access. I can browse the network outside of sage. I was able to do this in Sage 6.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg filebrowser.jpg (103.5 KB, 205 views)
Old 10-24-2010, 02:09 PM
Sage User

I have the service configured as the user who logs in and can map drives and access the network.

Thanks
Mark
Old 10-24-2010, 02:21 PM
SageTVaholic

Well obviously there is something wrong.... with the way Sagetv 7 is doing browsing.... Heck there isn't even a way to browse the network from search... I cannot even browse the network from within sageclients. Yet I can go into network neighborhood and browse all the network computers... from all my clients.

All my clients and Server use the Administrator login with the same password... so network rights is not a problem.

Maybe somebody can post exactly how they browse the network from a inside a sagetvclient maybe even post a screenshot.

Last edited by nyplayer; 10-24-2010 at 02:47 PM.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:23 PM
Sage Icon

Does the user for the service have a password? It will cause problems when in service mode if the user account has a blank password.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:52 PM
SageTVaholic

Yes It logs on as user "administrator" and has a password. Same password and logon on my clients too. Maybe someone can explain why I do not get the option to browse the NETWORK either in my server or clients this was not a problem in version 6... When I can click on network neighborhood and browse all my networked computers without any problems.

Edit

Finally got the browse network and it works. I recently changed to a hardcoded IP on my server... I had my clients connecting by PC name it connected fine and played fine etc... but I could not browse the network.

What I did was change my clients to connect by IP# and not PC name... maybe the users that are having the same problem can try this.

I am sure that just enabling Netbios over tcpip would have fixed it since it is using a hardcoded IP

Thanks to all for your patience.

Last edited by nyplayer; 10-24-2010 at 07:08 PM.