SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:31 AM
Sage User

Unhappy HD300 .MOV files play choppy

I just got the 300 yesterday. The main reason I bought it was that I thought it could play .MOV files ok. I have a 360 and it plays alot of file types but not apples. I take alot of pics and movies with my digital camera. The format of the videos it takes is .MOV.

When I try to play the MOV it is choppy out of sync and after 7 to 10 seconds the video gets worse. I have a few 30 gig hd movies that I have also tried and they worked fine. The video smooth and the sound was hd and synced. I have a 100 network and thats why I tried the hd movie thinking maybe it was bandwidth but thats not the issue.

Can anyone please help as if this box cant play simple sd mov files I am going to returne it before its too late?

Thanks
Bone
Old 10-07-2010, 08:37 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone View Post
When I try to play the MOV it is choppy out of sync and after 7 to 10 seconds the video gets worse.
Have you tried the latest beta f/w update? They've fixed a lot of issues, including one that made some h.264 videos go from very choppy to smooth.
Go to "system updates" and type "beta" on the number pad (whichever numbers can spell beta), and try the 2010 10-05 update.

Drew
Client: Nvidia Shield (HD300, HD100 in storage)
Old 10-07-2010, 09:58 AM
Sage User

Thank you for the reply. I will give that a try tonight. I hope that does it.

Bone
Old 10-07-2010, 03:01 PM
Sage User

Well I noticed there is a new update today. I installed that and the mov files played smoother but there is still noticable shake. Its just not as smooth as other file types. I also tried the beta from the 5th with the same result. I am not sure what to do with this box yet.

I will say its nice to see the sagetv people working on the firmware.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:50 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Well I noticed there is a new update today. I installed that and the mov files played smoother but there is still noticable shake. Its just not as smooth as other file types. I also tried the beta from the 5th with the same result. I am not sure what to do with this box yet.

I will say its nice to see the sagetv people working on the firmware.
What is the bitrate of your .mov files?

My Panasonic Lumix shoots .mov files at very very high bitrates, bitrates that no extender can play smoothly.

PC: W7 32bit, Intel Q9550 2.83 Quad, 4GB DRAM
Cap Devices: Colosuss+UIRT+Cable STB; HDHR QAM+OTA, USB MediaSonic (6TB)
Network Players: HD200, (2) HD300s
Viewing: Samsung 55" 8000, Sony 50" and HP 37"
The more complicated it is the more likely it will break!
Old 10-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Sage

If you're still having issues, please submit a bug report so we can get a test file from you and see what we can do to fix the problem: http://sagetv.com/bugs.html
Old 10-07-2010, 06:28 PM
Sage User

I also have a Panasonic Lumix. I had been shooting videos in 848x480@30fps due to the fact that my 360 would not play any mov files and my original xbox with xbmc would not play any hd. So I have been using just sd video in wide screen format. If I can get the sage to play the HD files the Lumix can produce that would rock and id never look back to the crappy sd videos. I know the camera has 3 setting in hd L,H,and SH. I forget the bit rates for each but it is in avchd format. Does the sage 300 play avchd better than it does mov? Please say yes.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:45 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I also have a Panasonic Lumix. I had been shooting videos in 848x480@30fps due to the fact that my 360 would not play any mov files and my original xbox with xbmc would not play any hd. So I have been using just sd video in wide screen format. If I can get the sage to play the HD files the Lumix can produce that would rock and id never look back to the crappy sd videos. I know the camera has 3 setting in hd L,H,and SH. I forget the bit rates for each but it is in avchd format. Does the sage 300 play avchd better than it does mov? Please say yes.
The AVCHD video plays quite smoothly and nicely on my HD300 and HD200. The AVCHD is 720p at 60fps and a bitrate around 16.5 Mbps. I personally prefer the AVCHD.

After thinking about it a little more I do not think it is the bitrate of the .mov file. The .mov files from my camera are around 30Mbps which is not as high as a BD movie. FWIW these same .mov files did not play smoothly on my HD200 either.

The Sage box is a great little box and it would be a shame to judge it based soley on whether it can smoothly play .mov files recorded on your digital camera. It can do so much more......besides in 12-18months you will probably be eye balling another new camera that does twice as much as the one you have now.

Old 10-07-2010, 07:42 PM
Sage User

Try updating Sage to V7.0.19 released tonight to see if that helps.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:32 AM
Sage User

I have upgraded the firmware to the latest along with the beta and it is now playable, but still not smooth.

Last edited by Bone; 10-08-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:58 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
I have upgraded the firmware to the latest along with the beta and it is now playable, but still not smooth.
Pretty much the same result here....playable but choppy.