SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > The SageTV Community
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

The SageTV Community Here's the place to discuss what's worth recording, HTPC deals at retail stores, events happening outside of your home theater, and pretty much anything else you'd like. (No For-Sale posts)

Old 09-20-2010, 11:06 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via ICQ to valnar
S3 sleep flexibility

I have my Sage server (WinXP/Sage 7.0b) working for either always-on mode or S3 sleep on demand, depending on how I change the power-settings that day. For S3, Sage brings my box out of sleep, records a show then sleeps again 20 minutes later if no other shows are to record. The problem is I may use my box for other things besides Sage during the evening hours and would prefer it stays on - regardless of recording activity - from around 5pm to 11pm when I get home. My two cumbersome solutions are to go into XP's power settings and set it to always-on for a few hours, or, issue a WOL packet to bring it up for a bit.

The Windows power management settings are not detailed enough to set time-of-day.

Is there a utility where I can set always-on or S3 sleep by time of day? Ideally I would have this:

* 5pm-11pm M-F always on
* 7am - 11pm S,S always on
* S3 sleep all other times, so if I happen to record something during the day, Sage will wake it up, record, and go to sleep again.

In other words, I want it to behave like a typical pet. Snooze all day when I'm not at home to save energy, but awake when I am.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:18 AM
Sage Icon

you can run the power config utility from a command line... so you should be able to write a couple of scripts that sets the settings how you want and then use task manager to switch between them at the appropriate time
Check out TVExplorer
Old 09-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by razrsharpe View Post
you can run the power config utility from a command line... so you should be able to write a couple of scripts that sets the settings how you want and then use task manager to switch between them at the appropriate time
Would task manager work for my initial power-up at 5pm?
Old 09-20-2010, 11:27 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar View Post
Would task manager work for my initial power-up at 5pm?
in the settings tab for the properties of the task you can specify the task to wake the computer to run the task... so in theory it should work... the one time i tried to make this work it didn't work the first time and then I gave up because it wasn't that important to me... but it should be easy enough to test in your system.
Check out TVExplorer
Old 09-20-2010, 11:28 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by valnar View Post
Is there a utility where I can set always-on or S3 sleep by time of day? Ideally I would have this:

* 5pm-11pm M-F always on
* 7am - 11pm S,S always on
* S3 sleep all other times, so if I happen to record something during the day, Sage will wake it up, record, and go to sleep again.

In other words, I want it to behave like a typical pet. Snooze all day when I'm not at home to save energy, but awake when I am.
I have Auto Shutdown Manager http://www.enviprot.de doing just that. It works very well. Can do a lot of other things to, like waking up the server if a client pc is turned on etc.

Rasmus
Server: Win7 • SageTV v7.1.9 • GA-MA785GM-US2H • Athlon 64 X2 BE-2350 • 2 Gb RAM • 4x 1Tb WD RE-2 GP in RAID5, Adaptec 5405 Raid controller • 2x firewire DVB-C FloppyDTV C/CI, 1x TechnoTrend CT-3650 CI via the LM Smart DVB Recorder plug-in.

Clients: HD300 to a Samsung PS50C7705 (PN50C8000) via a DVDO Edge • HD200 • Placeshifter

Remote: Universal Remote Control MX-980
Old 09-20-2010, 01:42 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtengvad View Post
I have Auto Shutdown Manager http://www.enviprot.de doing just that. It works very well
I'll check that out. Automated tools FTW.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:20 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtengvad View Post
I have Auto Shutdown Manager http://www.enviprot.de doing just that.
OK, how do you stop the timer from going down when using Sage remotely, like with an extender? Do I need to fine tune every parameter that a Sage client causes to happen to my server? I think even the standard Windows power management knows when I am accessing the server.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:19 AM
Sage Aficionado

Yes, the program is quite powerful and will force your server into standby if you haven't set up specific criterias that will prevent it.

You can see my setting here: Untitled.jpg

That will keep the server awake while a HD-200 is on, even if not streaming. It will also keep awake when using a client or Placeshifter.

Rasmus
Server: Win7 • SageTV v7.1.9 • GA-MA785GM-US2H • Athlon 64 X2 BE-2350 • 2 Gb RAM • 4x 1Tb WD RE-2 GP in RAID5, Adaptec 5405 Raid controller • 2x firewire DVB-C FloppyDTV C/CI, 1x TechnoTrend CT-3650 CI via the LM Smart DVB Recorder plug-in.

Clients: HD300 to a Samsung PS50C7705 (PN50C8000) via a DVDO Edge • HD200 • Placeshifter

Remote: Universal Remote Control MX-980

Last edited by rtengvad; 09-22-2010 at 04:25 AM.