SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-08-2010, 08:48 PM
SageTVaholic

Should you always use UNC paths for Recorded TV folder(s)

When I moved to SageTV7 I set up the recording paths for TV using just a drive letter to the root of the drive. In hindsight would it have made more sense to use a folder off of the root, set that up as a share and use a UNC path?

It seems to me that this will make life easier, particularly if you are using something like SJQ from other PCs on your LAN, and there are likely other resons as well.
Old 09-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
When I moved to SageTV7 I set up the recording paths for TV using just a drive letter to the root of the drive. In hindsight would it have made more sense to use a folder off of the root, set that up as a share and use a UNC path?

It seems to me that this will make life easier, particularly if you are using something like SJQ from other PCs on your LAN, and there are likely other resons as well.
The other big reason I can think of is using comskip with Sageclient. And yes it does make life easier in general. You can move your recording directories anywhere you want and just use the same share name and Sage never knows the difference
Old 09-09-2010, 02:38 PM
SageTVaholic

In the past I used UNC paths, but now that I use extenders I stick with drive letters. UNC paths have benefits, but for how my system is setup and what I use it for drive letters work just fine.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:42 PM
SageTVaholic

I use drive letters .... I tried UNC paths but all that caused was corrupted files... recordings with intermittent skips. I use SJQ on my client without UNC and it works perfectly.