SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-07-2010, 03:49 PM
Sage User

I read a few threads about the need for a cable box and that QAM tuners will not allow one to achieve any channel above broadcast basic. I'm on Optimum Online (Cablevison). I also read they are in the process of phasing this ability out and expect to be done by the end of this year.

Last edited by jerome8283; 09-07-2010 at 04:04 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 04:16 PM
Sage Advanced User

Generally true - I think in the old days you would get some "good" channels on clear QAM but little by little that is going away. I don't keep up with it but the trend to needing a box for everything wouldn't surprise me.

In that case you need the HD PVR - you'll never record things like HD HBO without it. I'd only buy a Hauppauge 2250 if you want to hook up an antenna. I prefer my antenna setup - I like saving the $850 per year - I spend it on computer toys instead.

A 2250 is cheaper than the HD PVR. You could still buy one of both, use the 2250 for HD basic network channels and the HD PVR for your premium content.

It still flips the order I'd do this in though. Since you have the cable, I'd buy the HD PVR first. Get your system running with it, then add a 2250 later for more tuning ability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome8283 View Post
I read a few threads about the need for a cable box and that QAM tuners will not allow one to achieve any channel above broadcast basic. I'm on Optimum Online (Cablevison). I also read they are in the process of phasing this ability out and expect to be done by the end of this year.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome8283 View Post
My wife typically records two channels at once and is required to watch one of them. Is there a card available with this capability? If I go with a new PC I will have PCI slots so could go with an internal card.
You could use a dual tuner card and use an extra set top box for the TV. I have extra set top boxes on the two main TVs so that people can watch TV independently of SageTV. Most of my recordings are OTA channels, so I have 4 tuners for OTA channels. Two tuners for DTA cable boxes, plus a HD-PVR for the one HD cable box. Depending on what programs you record, you may be able to dedicate fewer set top boxes for SageTV, so you'll have extra set top boxes for your main TVs. If you have extra set top boxes for the TVs, it's easier to have maintenance periods for your SageTV computer.

You can offload Comskipping to slower, older computers. I had three old clunkers running at once just for Comskipping. Those three clunkers could not keep up with the Comskipping jobs. I think you're better off with a quad core so you can Comskip on your SageTV computer, or offload the Comskipping job to a decent dual or quad core computer instead of using a room full of old clunkers. One fast computer can keep up with the Comskipping jobs.

Sage Job Queue will allow you to limit Comskipping to only the commercial channels. Comskip can be run at 'low' priority, which significantly reduces the load on the computer. The 'low' priority causes the Comskip jobs to run a little longer.

Dave