SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 09-02-2010, 02:39 PM
Sage User

Will the HD-300 automatically reconnect to the server after a reboot?

This is my #1 complaint about the HD200 - if it loses connection it just shuts off and has to be restarted with the IR remote.

If the HD300 fixes this I would immediately buy 3 to replace my HD200s.

Thanks for any feedback!
Old 09-02-2010, 02:46 PM
Sage Aficionado

Both of my HD200's reconnect automatically, as long the hd200 an see it on the network. The is a box to place a check mark in to tell it to reconnect automatically.
SageTVaholic

No that has to do with sage doing that (as I am thinking you are refering to when you update a plugin.
Sage Expert

Not only that, it just freezes whatever was on the screen - at least the PC client tells you its lost connection with the server.

I can't imagine this has a HW dependency though, I would have thought it could be implemented in firmware ie the HD200 could have it too
Stephane's XMLTV Importer, Digiguide,
Old 09-02-2010, 02:50 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewston View Post
Not only that, it just freezes whatever was on the screen - at least the PC client tells you its lost connection with the server.

I can't imagine this has a HW dependency though, I would have thought it could be implemented in firmware ie the HD200 could have it too
Yeah it should. I don't know if sage has a way to reset the device remotely though they actually have to power it off currently.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:57 PM
SageTVaholic

To answer the question: my HD300 does not reconnect automatically after a server restart. It remains in standby mode.

However you do not need to resort to the remote to reconnect. You can do it via telnet, which means that in principle it can be automated by a plugin. (This is true for the HD200 as well.) I believe someone has written a standalone app to do this, but it would be handy to have it packaged as a V7 plugin.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Sage Expert

Yes, you can telnet in and killall miniclient then killall waitpower. But how would a plugin help ? That runs on the server ? (Which we've lost contact with)
Stephane's XMLTV Importer, Digiguide,
Old 09-02-2010, 03:03 PM
Sage User

Well, if we can telnet in from the server to execute the command, perhaps the server process itself could do the same thing?
Old 09-02-2010, 03:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamVimes2 View Post
Well, if we can telnet in from the server to execute the command, perhaps the server process itself could do the same thing?
Yes, exactly. A server-side plugin is just as capable of opening a telnet connection as you are, and knows exactly when to do it, namely, whenever the server boots up and sends a Start event to the installed plugins.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Sage User

Seems easy enough...but I'm not a plugin author. I would love to see this though, it is a relatively minor thing but a big ugly hole in my automation :-(

I experimented with putting that telnet script in an onstartup event on my server, but it didn't really solve the problem because:
1) startup times and orders were inconsistent; sometimes Sage software hadn't started up by the time the script ran
2) sometimes I stop/start the service without rebooting the whole server box
Old 09-02-2010, 03:20 PM
SageTVaholic

I thought I remembered seeing a bullet in a firmware update that that got fixed?
Old 09-02-2010, 03:41 PM
Sage User

that which got fixed?
Old 09-02-2010, 03:44 PM
SageTVaholic

Reconnecting, or maybe you're looking for more than the "fix".
Old 09-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Sage Icon

My HD200's all have the latest FW and 7 beta SW running but last night when I rebooted the server the clients all just turned off and I had to manually turn them back on after the server came back up. Is this the "problem" that is being talked about here?

S
Old 09-02-2010, 05:49 PM
SageTVaholic

Perhaps "reconnect" isn't the right word. The behavior I see is that the extender goes into standby (black screen, no screensaver) when the server goes offline and remains that way when the server comes back. I have to use the Home button on the HD300 remote (or the telnet method) to wake it back up, at which point it autoconnects and loads the server's main menu.

This may not seem like a big deal, but it means that things like the web remote don't work until I wake the extender manually. I would rather have the extender wake automatically as soon as the server comes up, so that the web remote (and similar remote control plugins) work immediately on server restart.

This is not a complicated plugin to write, and I will probably get around to it at some point if nobody beats me to it.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:58 PM
Sage User

sleonard, GKusnick:

I believe we are all talking about the same thing. I am in the same boat as GKusnick: may not seem like a big deal, but automation (CQC) that depends on the extender listening and reacting fails silently. Big hit to WAF. I would contribute beer or cash or both if either would bring about a fix sooner :-)

stranger89:

Seems like we're talking about different things, but if you have a fix for "extenders sleep and don't reawake when the server they're connected to goes offline" I would love to hear it. Beer or cash goes for you as well!

I would even still make good on my promise to buy 3 HD300s if a fix presented itself, even though it seems like that fix would likely work for my HD200s as well :-)
Old 10-27-2010, 03:45 PM
Sage User

Any further thoughts on this? This is pretty much my last hole...
Old 10-27-2010, 05:18 PM
Sage Advanced User

What I've done is create a batch file on my server that restarts the sagetv service and then runs the utility below and "powers up" all of my extenders. While not as convenient as restarting directly from sage, but I just connect to my server and run the batch file. Works fine so far.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35464

I would thing that a plugin wouldn't be that hard to code up (for the right person), so that after the service starts up, it runs through all of your extenders and powers them up.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:01 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelkenny View Post
What I've done is create a batch file on my server that restarts the sagetv service and then runs the utility below and "powers up" all of my extenders. While not as convenient as restarting directly from sage, but I just connect to my server and run the batch file. Works fine so far.

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35464

I would thing that a plugin wouldn't be that hard to code up (for the right person), so that after the service starts up, it runs through all of your extenders and powers them up.
Isn't there an option in the windows services panel that allows you to "Run this on service startup"? Point that at your batch file and you should be good to go, no?
Old 10-28-2010, 02:20 PM
SageTVaholic

Isn't there a property you can set in Sage that allows you to run certain functions automatically at start up of Sage? That would be even better because then even if you just do a restart of Sage as opposed to a complete server restart, then you would also all the clients power up.....
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter