SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Media Extender
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Media Extender Discussion related to any SageTV Media Extender used directly by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to a SageTV supported media extender should be posted here. Use the SageTV HD Theater - Media Player forum for issues related to using an HD Theater while not connected to a SageTV server.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Sage User

It would be nice is Sage employed the services of someone like tigerdirect for sales - that way us Canadians could get the product without crossing a border, and they accommodate for International shipping.

Even allowing tigerdirect to have a substantial markup would lower the costs for us International customers.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:53 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky905 View Post
It would be nice is Sage employed the services of someone like tigerdirect for sales - that way us Canadians could get the product without crossing a border, and they accommodate for International shipping.

Even allowing tigerdirect to have a substantial markup would lower the costs for us International customers.
Alternately, they could just ship FEDEX or USPS Priority International rather than whatever they are using (which I'm guessing is USPS Express Mail or some horrible UPS service).
Old 09-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

European logistics costs

Or Sage outsource distribution to European based logistics provider
Sage to sell HD 300 including Import and VAT and distribution done by logistic provider
This would get the distribution/shipping costs at reasonable level
Old 09-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yalbik View Post
No kidding...even shipping to Canada is $44 (plus any brokerage / taxes).

Anyone Canadians know:
1) If Sage will ship any other mechanism if you call? Shipping can take 6 weeks for all I care, as long as the cost is reasonable (say $20 or less)

2) What the final price is, including brokerage. If they ship USPS, it should be a flat $7 brokerage fee at most, but I hate having the nasty extra fee surprise that UPS often charges
I hit the cancel button once I saw the shipping charges and thought about the brokerage fees. Too bad. Well maybe for Chritmas time I'll have the courage to spend that much.

Clients: HP dm1(E350), HD-100
Old 09-02-2010, 05:24 PM
Sage

We stopped using UPS/FedEx for international shipping due to outrageous fees customers were getting charged when they received the packages. That's why we only use USPS for international shipping. We're not inflating the prices; what we charge is pretty close to what it actually costs.

You guys are right that we're using USPS Express for this; and we are going to look into USPS Priority as another shipping option. We didn't do this yet due to the amount of time it can take for USPS Priority....but as noted in this thread, some people wouldn't mind waiting the extra time for delivery if it saved them a little money.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:58 PM
Sage User

Yes, please have USPS Priority as an option. I'm in Hawaii and the shipping for one HD300 is almost $30 via UPS Ground and would take at least 6 days. USPS Flat rate box would be $10.70 and take only 3 days which is much better.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:04 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally View Post
Yes, please have USPS Priority as an option. I'm in Hawaii and the shipping for one HD300 is almost $30 via UPS Ground and would take at least 6 days. USPS Flat rate box would be $10.70 and take only 3 days which is much better.
We've done some more research into this and so far the pricing isn't really that different (although it is cheaper, but only $5-$10, so we're going to look into adding that option to the store). The problem is that the HD300 box won't fit into the boxes that have the flat rate pricing that people keep referring to in this thread.

The size of the HD300 box is: 9 7/8" x 9 1/4" x 3 1/8"

We're all for saving our customers on shipping; but the pricing you guys are referring to needs to be something that can actually be used; and so far it's all based on boxes that are too small for the HD300 packaging to fit inside.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:01 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
The PSU does 240V so all you really need is a socket converter. When I was in DE in July that was 5€
It's still bloody inconvenient & so unnecessary.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:11 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCE-Refugee View Post
How much does it cost to ship the HD300 to addresses in the US?
I didn't see an answer so does anyone want to share?
Old 09-02-2010, 11:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex View Post
We've done some more research into this and so far the pricing isn't really that different (although it is cheaper, but only $5-$10, so we're going to look into adding that option to the store). The problem is that the HD300 box won't fit into the boxes that have the flat rate pricing that people keep referring to in this thread.

We're all for saving our customers on shipping; but the pricing you guys are referring to needs to be something that can actually be used; and so far it's all based on boxes that are too small for the HD300 packaging to fit inside.
The HD300 is already in a shipping box. You just need to stick on the shipping label. I just checked on the USPS website & to send a 3.5lb package (as per the HD300 specifications) by Priority Mail International (6-10 business days) costs $37.25 i.e. $20 less than we are being charged.

Incidentally in my experience an added advantage of packages sent Priority Mail rather than Express Mail is that they do not get stopped in customs & no VAT gets charged presumably on the assumption that they are lower value.
Old 09-03-2010, 02:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Priority Mail Medium Flat Rate Box-O-FRB2
11-7/8" x 3-3/8" x 13-5/8"

Can be used for Domestic Priority Mail ($10.70) and International Priority Mail ($26.95 to Canada and Mexico- $43.45 to all other countries, 20 lb weight limit applies)

Could SageTV order product boxes which were not "retail" but OEM? (All white/brown) That would make it easier to use the product box itself as the shipping carton.

B
Old 09-03-2010, 02:53 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
It's still bloody inconvenient & so unnecessary.
I have never sourced a product before like this, but as SageTV is in the US and they don't have a SKU specifically for EU/UK/anywhere else; there will be things which may be inconvenient. As a US consumer I can appreciate your point when I order an unlocked phone from the UK. However, I get over it and by an adapter or a new power supply.
EDIT: Brent posted this picture of the power supply.
Quote:
I didn't see an answer so does anyone want to share?
For UPS ground: $13.47 on two units which will take 4 business days to reach me from SageTV. (This is based on the length of time it took for my first HD300 order)

Last edited by bcjenkins; 09-03-2010 at 02:55 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:02 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjenkins View Post
I have never sourced a product before like this, but as SageTV is in the US and they don't have a SKU specifically for EU/UK/anywhere else; there will be things which may be inconvenient. As a US consumer I can appreciate your point when I order an unlocked phone from the UK. However, I get over it and by an adapter or a new power supply.
It's actually the curse of the wall plug adaptor although Apple & other companies do have interchangeable bits that give the correct metallic prongs for different countries. Indeed I have received products with a selection of prongs which you change to suit.

I prefer a power adaptor to be a brick with a power cord as bulky wall plugs are more inconvenient e.g. cannot fit two wall plug adaptors side by side in adjacent sockets. Then even if Sage only supply a US power cord I can replace it with the power cord appropriate for my country or cut off the plug & replace it.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:15 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by computer33 View Post
I hit the cancel button once I saw the shipping charges and thought about the brokerage fees. Too bad. Well maybe for Chritmas time I'll have the courage to spend that much.
Same here - I was all set to order until I saw the $44 shipping charge (Canada).
Old 09-03-2010, 05:30 PM
Sage

OK, we've now added USPS Priority Shipping options to the store. So I guess you guys were right in terms of savings. For example; USPS Express Mail to Canada is still $44 from us; but with Priority its only $27.25. Enjoy!
Old 09-03-2010, 05:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
OK, we've now added USPS Priority Shipping options to the store. So I guess you guys were right in terms of savings. For example; USPS Express Mail to Canada is still $44 from us; but with Priority its only $27.25. Enjoy!
And the new options only show up for shipping to non-US or Hawaii addresses.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Thanks! I've placed my order - I'll let you guys know if there are any duty charges (Toronto, Ontario, Canada).
Old 09-03-2010, 08:49 PM
Sage User

Narflex, great customer service, too bad more businesses didn't use your model in adapting to customer requests.
Old 09-04-2010, 02:03 AM
Sage Aficionado

Thank you very much for listening to our concerns & providing a solution. I just ordered an HD300 to be shipped to me here in France by USPS Priority - International at the more agreeable price of $39.15.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:42 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Incidentally in my experience an added advantage of packages sent Priority Mail rather than Express Mail is that they do not get stopped in customs & no VAT gets charged presumably on the assumption that they are lower value.
& so it came to pass My HD300 arrived today & the postman did not ask me for any extra payment. The shipping note is dated 14th September & the package arrived today (23rd September). Thank you Sage!