SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV EPG Service
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV EPG Service Discussion related to the SageTV EPG Service used within SageTV. Questions about service area coverage, channel lineups, EPG listings, XMLTV, or anything else related to the service or programming guide data for SageTV should be posted here.

Old 07-19-2005, 05:00 AM

Update for overseas EPG....Enlighten a newbie

It has been a long time since this sticky was updated. I have a few questions relating to config for overseas EPG.

STEP 1:
Does this setup work with the latest XMLTV v0.5.40? I assumed it would and downloaded it rather than v0.5.16.

STEP 2.
Is corykim's xmltv plugin the latest version?

http://cory.metadot.com/public/xmltv.zip

STEP 3.
Just did a fresh system install for new HTPC using SageTV 2.2. Java 2 version 1.4.2 platform installed prior as per SageTV link. Shortly after Jave auto-updated to v5.0. Now both directories are under c:\program files\java. I copied the Xerces XML parser file linked below into both directories...c:\progxxx\java\j2xxx\lib\ext and c:\progxxx\j5xxx\lib\ext. For good measure I also copied to SageTV directory.

http://www.myhtpcresource.net/downloads/xerces.jar

Is there a better xerces.jar file to use?

STEP 4
Because I want EPG for Malaysia, I installed TVxb and ran per instructions.

http://www.tvxb.com/

TVxb is writing the xmltv.xml file to SageTV. However, when I attempt to download listings in Sage, it hangs on Download screen. I have waited over an hour for it to update, but nothing yet...

Any suggestions?
Old 07-19-2005, 06:10 AM
SageTVaholic

No, it's not the latest see the XMLTV page in the Sage wiki linked in my sig.

See also : http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthr...highlight=tvxb (first result in a search for TVXB )

Last edited by nielm; 07-19-2005 at 06:14 AM.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:34 AM

OK....digging deeper & pulling more hair...

ran plugin tester & got the following

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: Plugin

I feel like I can't see the forest for the trees......
Old 07-19-2005, 07:03 AM
SageTVaholic

try again with no space between Plugin and Tester

If you are still using CoryKim's plugin and get parsing errors in the tester, then try also using a different plugin -- I use this one (#2 in the list in the wiki)

Last edited by nielm; 07-19-2005 at 07:06 AM.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:45 AM

Now getting a little further: this time got the following (Now I see that Java is case sentitive)

Getting providers...
Got Provider ID=867507149; XMLTV Lineup
Updating guide,..
java.io.FileNotFoundException: epgdata.xml (The system cannot find the file specified)
at java.io.FileInputStream.open(NativeMethod)
at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(UnknownSource)
at java.io.FileInputStream.<init>(UnknownSource)
at xmltv.XMLTVImportPlugin.update.Guide(XMLTVImportPlugin.java:70)
at PluginTester.main(PluginTester.java:43)
Test complete, result was 'false'.

BTW - I am after EPG for Malaysia, so UK epg mod wouldn't do any good...??
Old 07-19-2005, 09:05 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
java.io.FileNotFoundException: epgdata.xml (The system cannot find the file specified)
you need to have the XMLTV data in a file called epgdata.xml in the SageTV directory (or the directory where you are running the PluginTester from), otherwise it cannot find the XMLTV data
Quote:
BTW - I am after EPG for Malaysia, so UK epg mod wouldn't do any good...??
yes, but xmltv is a generic file format. CoryKim's plugin version relies on specific data inside the file which was only the case for US XMLTV data, and probably caused your hanging problem. (assuming you put the epgdata.xml file in the right place)
The UK version I linked is actually for more generic XMLTV data, not specfically for UK data (I am in Belgium and I still use it)..
Old 07-19-2005, 04:10 PM

Ok, found a typo in TVxb output file name definition. EPGdata.xml file is in SageTV dir with data download for Malaysia channels.

Now, when I launch Sage, how do I force it to read the existing EPG data file rather than attempting to download (again)? If I use the Setup Wizard, the only apparent option is to attempt to redownload. If I go to LiveTV guide, it does not display the EPGdata.xml info, even though it is ready to go with the correct data.

This is fun & frustrating at the same time!

Thanks for all your help!
Old 07-19-2005, 04:49 PM
SageTVaholic

With XMLTV Sage does not download the epgdata file itself, it just re-reads the file from disk -- you need to run tvxb each day (or whatever) to download the EPG data.

To re-read the epgdata.xml file if the source is already set up, see this FAQ:
http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthr...3827#post43827

If the source is not setup, it will re-read the xml file during the source configuration.

A normal powered system only needs a few seconds to read the XML file -- any longer than that and you still have problems
Old 07-20-2005, 02:55 AM
Sage Expert

For TVxb use this plugin by Demideus: :http://forums.sage.tv/forums/showthr...3378#post43378. Hanging on the download screen is a common problem for TVxb data. Demideus' plugin is the only one that parses TVxb data reliably. There is an update to this plugin but it is really aimed at Dutch (I think) users and messes up some elements of the data TVxb gets (depending on how you have TVxb setup).

I assume you are using Astro for your source? If so, visit: http://www.htpc-gear.com/. Skateni created an awsome EPG for Singapore which shares many channels accross SE Asia and more info can be found there. Its also a great community of HTPCers over here .

Last edited by silkshadow; 07-20-2005 at 03:01 AM.