SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 08-13-2010, 02:15 PM
Sage User

Change Imported Video Directory to use different WHS machine

Problem:

I want to store my media files on a second WHS machine, but Sage (installed on the first WHS machine) won't scan the directories on the new machine.

I truly believe that this is a permissions issue, but I can't figure it out.

Here's the background:

My current Sage server runs on a WHS box ("OldServer"). It is stable and everything is great. OldServer has turned into the household fileserver and many other things that I did not anticipate when I set it up. Sometimes those other processes can hijack cpu/memory/disk access/etc, causing Sage to hiccup. In an effort to segregate Sage, I am moving everything else off of this machine and to another WHS machine ("NewServer"), including media storage. For now, tv recording will stay on OldServer. Everything was going fine until I tried to change my Media Center Import Directories. Sage can see NewServer and even navigate to it and its directories (Up Directory -> Network -> Workgroup -> NewServer), but it never seems to scan those directories (I tried waiting and using the scan imported media button), so the files never show up. Strangely, Sage will not let me type the UNC path (\\NewServer\Videos) to specify the directory. It keeps saying that directory doesn't exist and asking me if I want to create it. I can add directories on OldServer to the Import Directories using UNC paths.

Firewalls are turned off on NewServer and OldServer. Both are running WHS v1 with Power Pack 3. The directories that I want to share on NewServer have full Guest access enabled (read/write). Both machines have static IP addresses. I changed the Administrator passwords to match each other on each machine. I can access everything on NewServer from OldServer without typing in a user/password. I have restarted each machine a few times. Both machines are connected to the same gigabit switch.

Sage Version 7.0.12.234 (I do not think this is a Beta issue)
Jave 1.6.0
Using SageTV7.xml STV

I'm at a loss, so I'm hoping the forums can help me figure out what I am missing. Like I said at the beginning, I feel like this is a permissions issue (Sage can clearly see the directories I want to add, but it either doesn't see the files or doesn't scan them for some reason). It was my understanding that all I needed to do was copy the media over to new server and then change the paths in Sage to point at the new server. Is there another step that I am missing? Thanks in advance
Old 08-13-2010, 02:41 PM
Sage User

Is sage running as a service on oldserver? If so, to access network files, the sage user must not be localsystem.

Change the sage user to a user with administrative rights and it should work as before.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:18 PM
Sage User

I'm using the WHS version of Sage. I don't know if that counts as a service. I never had to set up a special account under the old configuration. If it does count as a service, how do I change the user associated with the Sage service?
Old 08-13-2010, 03:28 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by leagle View Post
I'm using the WHS version of Sage. I don't know if that counts as a service. I never had to set up a special account under the old configuration. If it does count as a service, how do I change the user associated with the Sage service?
The default install would run Sage as a service with localsystem as the user - this will prevent network files from being accessed properly.

You need to remote desktop in to the WHS box and run sage service control (normally at "C:\Program Files\SageTV\SageTV\SageTVServiceControl.exe") and change the user to one with admin rights.

After changing the user, you need to stop and restart the sage service for it to "take".

I have a shortcut to that utility on my desktop for when I need to shutdown sage for some reason.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:16 PM
Sage User

Success! Thanks so much for your help.

Just in case anyone else encounters this problem, I did get an error when I first tried to open SageTVServiceControl, but updating to the most recent version of Java fixed it.

Thanks again!
Old 08-13-2010, 06:12 PM
Sage User

Glad I could help.

One thing to remember (I seem to always forget myself) is that when you upgrade the sage software on WHS (uninstall and install the new version) all settings are saved, but the user reverts to localsystem.

This one always has me scratching my head as to why I can't see the files on network drives until I remember to change the user back to an administrator.

Tags
imported media, nas, whs