SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 06-09-2004, 12:31 PM
Sage Expert

How do I change video directory?

I want to change the default place SAGE looks for VIDEO's I record from the defalt (c:\program files\frey technology\sage\videos) to something a bit more accessable thru my network.

"C:\SAGE VIDEOS"

I created the folder, see in the setup under GENERAL where to to this, in fact, I now can go back and see BOTH the Original path (and highlight it) or my new path (and highlight it as well) . I select SAVE (or what ever the prompt is) but all my recorded shos are still showing up under the default folder.

What am I doing wrong?

I tried to change this last night, would up screwing my install of SAGE 2.0 (registered) and having to reistall the entire program to fix.

Is this a known bug, can it be changed?

NEW: DELL OPTIPLEX 755, 4GB MEM, ATI DVIX (DUAL) VIDEO, PVR-1250MCE & PVR-500MCE, 1.3TB HDD's
Old 06-09-2004, 12:46 PM
Administrator

With my track record today, I'm not sure if I'm reading this one right... do you have both directories still in the list of dirs to use? If so, they are on the same drive/partition... I wonder if it then simply uses the first one in the list? In that case, it would be the default dir, which you haven't removed from the list yet.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-09-2004, 12:52 PM
SageTVaholic

My understanding is that when you set up more than on video dir, Sage records to the one with the most free space. My guess is that since both your directories are on the same partition, they both always have the same amount of free space, therefore Sage just uses the first one.

BTW, you really should put your Sage video dir on a separate partition formated to 64k clusters. Having it on a partition used by other apps, especially Windows, is just asking for trouble.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:03 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by Opus4
With my track record today, I'm not sure if I'm reading this one right... do you have both directories still in the list of dirs to use? If so, they are on the same drive/partition... I wonder if it then simply uses the first one in the list? In that case, it would be the default dir, which you haven't removed from the list yet.

- Andy
I believe I also made the available disc space something like 2GB on the default, which would cover about 1 show, but to no avail. I will check tonight when I get home, to see if that worked.

I'm scared to delete the OEM path, but can try that if needed. Or is there a way to make it SECOND on the list?

NEW: DELL OPTIPLEX 755, 4GB MEM, ATI DVIX (DUAL) VIDEO, PVR-1250MCE & PVR-500MCE, 1.3TB HDD's
Old 06-09-2004, 01:06 PM
SageTVaholic

I made the oem video directory 0 GBs cause it did not like being removed
just reappeared on me
and added my 250 GB and 200 GB partitions saying use all
if the default directory has recordings in it you need to remove those before changing the video directory though
it caused weird problem when I did it before
sage was calculating the video directories much bigger than it should have and such
Old 06-09-2004, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Are there recordings in the original/default path? I changed mine before a recording was ever made, so that dir was never used. You tried removing the default dir previously, right? (I think you experienced problems after that?) I would try to watch/delete any shows in the default path to get it cleared out, then remove it from SageTV while nothing is recording & restart SageTV.

- Andy
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:09 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally posted by stanger89
My understanding is that when you set up more than on video dir, Sage records to the one with the most free space. My guess is that since both your directories are on the same partition, they both always have the same amount of free space, therefore Sage just uses the first one.

BTW, you really should put your Sage video dir on a separate partition formated to 64k clusters. Having it on a partition used by other apps, especially Windows, is just asking for trouble.
I'll try deleting the OEM path to see if it will force the recording to the new folder.

What benifits do I get from 64K clusters? (I thought the NTFS format was best, I've never seen an option for 64K chunks. What kind of issues does running everything on one hard drive have as opposed to two partitions? The drive will still have to search from one partition to the next to find files, read and write data and access the swap file etc.... now a second HD could be a viable option.

Old 06-09-2004, 01:17 PM
SageTVaholic

welll I just decided after trying not to do the partition thing
that I would for convenience since I was installing a fesh copy of XP PRO
I did 50 GB for main stuff and 200 for video and the other drive 250 for video
you can partition using right click my computer then manage then disk somehting or other in is in manage
if you just right the drive the biggest you can do is 4kb
to do a partition that shares a drive with XP you need to do format (drive name): /FS:NTFS /A:64K

and that is NTFS
64 kb makes the file less fraggmented
Old 06-09-2004, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by broderp
What benifits do I get from 64K clusters? (I thought the NTFS format was best, I've never seen an option for 64K chunks.
NTFS formatted for 64K clusters is perfect, as I don't think FAT32 can use 64K clusters, but I could be wrong on that point. The large clusters help prevent the drive having to do continuous seeking for the next small bit of the video when the file is heavily fragmented.

Quote:
What kind of issues does running everything on one hard drive have as opposed to two partitions? The drive will still have to search from one partition to the next to find files, read and write data and access the swap file etc.... now a second HD could be a viable
Multiple drives are best, but multiple partitions on one drive work too. It just helps separate the video data from the system data. Also, I prefer not to have my regular (non-SageTV) drives partitioned for 64K clusters, as that wastes quite a bit of space when dealing with small files.

- Andy
Old 06-09-2004, 01:21 PM
SageTVaholic

I thought fat32 default cluster size was 64kb
Old 06-09-2004, 01:24 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by broderp
What kind of issues does running everything on one hard drive have as opposed to two partitions? The drive will still have to search from one partition to the next to find files, read and write data and access the swap file etc.... now a second HD could be a viable option.

It's not so much a performance problem as a space management problem. Sage is good about managing space itself, but when other apps fill/empty use the same space Sage does it can cause problems. The one that comes to mind is where Sage run's out of space because there isn't as much space available as you told Sage it could use.
Old 06-09-2004, 01:25 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by kny3twalker
I thought fat32 default cluster size was 64kb
FAT32 cluster size varied depending on partition size because it supported a limited number of clusters (or something to that effect).