SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:13 PM
Sage Advanced User

Fixed with Emulate Keystroke

The EventGhost 'reset idle timer' does not reset the OS idle timer -- it's an EG timer. But I did resolve the problem by using 'emulate keystroke' for the primary navigation buttons, stop and pause.

TW
Old 08-18-2010, 12:31 AM
Sage Advanced User

Great idea teedublu. That should work well.

So far LCDWriter is doing the trick for me.

Two solutions.
Old 08-18-2010, 01:24 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedublu View Post
The EventGhost 'reset idle timer' does not reset the OS idle timer -- it's an EG timer. But I did resolve the problem by using 'emulate keystroke' for the primary navigation buttons, stop and pause.

TW
Can you elaborate? What keystroke do you emulate? And when?

When I press pause on my remote EventGhost sends a Ctrl-S to SageTV. This is a keystroke. But 5 minutes later my machine goes to standby, so some dummy keystroke must be repeated maybe every minute while playback is paused.

Using SageTV 7.1.9, Java 1.6.0_24 Win7 Home Premium on an
Asus M4N78-AM Mainboard, AMD Athlon II X2 215, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HDD, 2xTechnoTrend S-2400 as Network Encoder (LM DVB Smart Recorder), ATI Radeon HD 3450 with analog TV-Out on good old CRT TV (100Hz)
My avatar shows the world's best composer!!!
Old 08-18-2010, 09:28 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by owilsky View Post
Can you elaborate? What keystroke do you emulate?
Quote:
Originally Posted by teedublu View Post
. . .stop and pause.
Seems he's using the above.
Old 08-18-2010, 03:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

I used emulated keystrokes for 7 butttons: up, down, left, right, ok, stop, pause.

The EG Sage plugin does not send keystrokes to Sage (it sends basically an application command -- not all commands in Sage have a keystroke defined). At least that's true for the current version of EG. I read that on EG forum I think. So I disabled the Sage command for those 7 buttons (didn't delete the command, so it can be restored later) and then added an emulated keystroke action instead, which is then configured for the desired keystroke.

I'm using a cheap MCE remote (IR receiver driver says eHome). To configure, I press a button on the remote, an event is captured in the EG log, I copy it to the desired Sage plugin command's macro. There you can leave the plugin's Sage command, or disable it and put in the emulate keystroke action instead.

I looked up the keystroke command in the Sage manual.

I have my sleep-suspend timer set rather long -- plenty long enough for the "pause break"....

TW

Last edited by teedublu; 08-18-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:51 PM
Sage Advanced User

This forum needs a Thumbs Up button.

Neat post teedublu.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:38 PM
Sage Advanced User

babgvant: Although LCD Writer seems to be working to stop the early Standby, these 3 errors are showing up in Event Viewer:

1. System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80010002): Call was canceled by the message filter. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80010002 (RPC_E_CALL_CANCELED))
at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
at System.Management.ManagementScope.InitializeGuts(Object o)
at System.Management.ManagementScope.Initialize()
at System.Management.ManagementEventWatcher.Initialize()
at System.Management.ManagementEventWatcher.Start()
at LcdWriter.Shared.VacuumFluorescentDisplay..ctor() - 0665fe84-01e4-4c65-9e6b-c3958fef01d2

~~~~~~~~

2. Service cannot be started. System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'LcdWriter.Shared.VacuumFluorescentDisplay' threw an exception. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80010002): Call was canceled by the message filter. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80010002 (RPC_E_CALL_CANCELED))
at LcdWriter.Shared.VacuumFluorescentDisplay..ctor()
at LcdWriter.Shared.VacuumFluorescentDisplay..cctor()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at LcdWriter.Shared.VacuumFluorescentDisplay.GetInstance()
at LcdWriter.Service.LcdService.OnStart(String[] args)
at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMainCallback(Object state)

~~~~~~~~

3. Faulting application lcdwriterservice.exe, version 1.0.0.1, stamp 4c50abe7, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.1.2600.5781, stamp 49c4f482, debug? 0, fault address 0x00012afb.

Any ideas?
Old 08-26-2010, 02:03 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinan View Post
babgvant: Although LCD Writer seems to be working to stop the early Standby, these 3 errors are showing up in Event Viewer:

1. System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80010002): Call was canceled by the message filter. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80010002 (RPC_E_CALL_CANCELED))
at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
at System.Management.ManagementScope.InitializeGuts(Object o)
at System.Management.ManagementScope.Initialize()
at System.Management.ManagementEventWatcher.Initialize()
at System.Management.ManagementEventWatcher.Start()
at LcdWriter.Shared.VacuumFluorescentDisplay..ctor() - 0665fe84-01e4-4c65-9e6b-c3958fef01d2

~~~~~~~~

2. Service cannot be started. System.TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for 'LcdWriter.Shared.VacuumFluorescentDisplay' threw an exception. ---> System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80010002): Call was canceled by the message filter. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80010002 (RPC_E_CALL_CANCELED))
at LcdWriter.Shared.VacuumFluorescentDisplay..ctor()
at LcdWriter.Shared.VacuumFluorescentDisplay..cctor()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at LcdWriter.Shared.VacuumFluorescentDisplay.GetInstance()
at LcdWriter.Service.LcdService.OnStart(String[] args)
at System.ServiceProcess.ServiceBase.ServiceQueuedMainCallback(Object state)

~~~~~~~~

3. Faulting application lcdwriterservice.exe, version 1.0.0.1, stamp 4c50abe7, faulting module kernel32.dll, version 5.1.2600.5781, stamp 49c4f482, debug? 0, fault address 0x00012afb.

Any ideas?
The first one is a problem with WMI on your PC, not 100% sure about #2 but it could be the same thing.

Besides the messages are there any issues?
Old 08-26-2010, 04:24 PM
Sage Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by timg11 View Post
I have the computer's power management settings to go into sleep after 30 minutes.

While I had a show paused, and SageTV running full-screen, the computer went into sleep after about 5 minutes.
Does you computer ever go to sleep sooner than the 30 minutes you have set up when running any other application other than SageTV? *Something* is putting your machine to sleep.

So somewhere there's either some setting at 5 minutes or a bug. The bug could be in the OS (or some other software you have running that can put the OS to sleep) or in Sage.

I don't think working around this by generating input events is the right thing to do, since if it's a bug in Sage, it's not going to get fixed if it doesn't get reported and found.

You might want to check the power settings in your BIOS and make sure they're set to allow all control at the OS level. Then double-check your OS settings. Even if Sage didn't have the ability to keep the machine awake, your system should only be going down after 30 minutes without input, not 5. There's something amiss.

Last edited by TwistedMelon; 08-26-2010 at 04:27 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:23 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post
The first one is a problem with WMI on your PC, not 100% sure about #2 but it could be the same thing.

Besides the messages are there any issues?
Nothing going wrong, that I can tell. Just kept getting the pop-ups saying "a while ago you had this problem...etc". I selected "Leave me alone next time".

I'll keep checking Event Viewer over time. None of these occurred before using LCD Writer though. No biggie. Just wondered if you would know.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:08 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinan View Post
Nothing going wrong, that I can tell. Just kept getting the pop-ups saying "a while ago you had this problem...etc". I selected "Leave me alone next time".

I'll keep checking Event Viewer over time. None of these occurred before using LCD Writer though. No biggie. Just wondered if you would know.

Thanks for the reply.
It's definitely LcdWriter. If it stops working we can try to figure out why.
Old 08-27-2010, 11:51 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedMelon View Post
Does you computer ever go to sleep sooner than the 30 minutes you have set up when running any other application other than SageTV? *Something* is putting your machine to sleep.

So somewhere there's either some setting at 5 minutes or a bug. The bug could be in the OS (or some other software you have running that can put the OS to sleep) or in Sage.

I don't think working around this by generating input events is the right thing to do, since if it's a bug in Sage, it's not going to get fixed if it doesn't get reported and found.

You might want to check the power settings in your BIOS and make sure they're set to allow all control at the OS level. Then double-check your OS settings. Even if Sage didn't have the ability to keep the machine awake, your system should only be going down after 30 minutes without input, not 5. There's something amiss.
The problem he's seeing is that sage is preventing windows from going to sleep when playing or recording, but NOT resetting the idle timer. So, as soon as Sage released the sleep-hold, windows puts it to sleep right away. The reason it doens't do this for everyone, is is depends on your remote control setup. If it is using send-messages, or interacting with sage directly, it will not reset the windows idle timeout. If it, instead, is an HID remote (media center style), than it WILL be resetting the idle timer.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 08-27-2010, 04:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

I use the Hauppauge remote with a USB-UIRT (receive only - tuning is FW) and I also have the problem of a paused movie allows the computer to sleep in a few minutes. Any other fixes or work-arounds (LCDWriter didn't work for me, maybe because I use a Parallel port display with LCDSmartie)? I checked all power off timers in cmos setup and Win7, they are all OK, at least 30 minutes.
Thanks!

Rob

PS- I was thinking crazy thoughts like using a 555 timer to "hit" the pause key on another hidden Hap remote every minute for the duration of the pause. The hidden remote could be triggered "on" when it receives a pause from the real remote (using a simple ir receiver), and quit when it receives a "play" from the real remote. That would probably keep Win7 from sleeping. It wouldn't be difficult to put together, but it's ridiculous.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:06 PM
SageTVaholic

perhaps ot would be best if sage could continue keeping the pc awake during paused playback.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

That's what I was hoping for. How difficult would it be to have SageTV control the idle timer during pause?
Rob
Old 08-27-2010, 06:22 PM
SageTVaholic

Sage would have to just NOT release the hold it puts on windows. It's not something a community dev could change though, as it's in the sagetv for windows core.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:41 PM
Sage Aficionado

My nutso idea is looking better... Actually, all I'd have to do is modify a remote to keep repeating "pause" once a minute after it is pressed until "Play" is pressed. In a half hour, I'd only gain a few seconds with each frame advance. It's pretty simple but should work!
PS I've got several Hap remotes, I think I'll try it.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:33 PM
SageTVaholic

yeah, probably a lot easier to use something like girder to keep it awake then hacking up some hardware.

Old 08-27-2010, 08:48 PM
Sage Aficionado

I'm a lot better with hardware than I am with software, been building stuff since I was 10, almost 50 years, just a hobby. Anyway, it gets me out of the office and into the garage "lab" where I feel at home...
Old 08-27-2010, 09:35 PM
Sage Expert

This sounds like a bug in Sage that needs to be reported. Why hack around a problem that's apparently so very easy to fix in SageTV?

Report the problem through the appropriate form if it hasn't already been. Otherwise, the discussion of input event hacks isn't really something that belongs in the beta forum.