SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 08-08-2010, 04:52 PM
Sage Aficionado

Computer sleeps "early" when video paused

I have the computer's power management settings to go into sleep after 30 minutes.

While I had a show paused, and SageTV running full-screen, the computer went into sleep after about 5 minutes. This is about when I would expect the screen saver to start.

This is a different behavior that I have not seen before SageTV V7.

Is there some other setting or configuration I need to adjust, or is this a bug that needs to be reported?
HD300 extender with (2020 New Build) SageTV 64 bit V9.2.2.903 (service mode), Running on Windows 10 (64 bit), Intel Core i7-10700K CPU, 16G RAM, GIGABYTE Z490 UD motherboard. NVidia GTX1650 Super; Viewsonic LCD on one output and Mitsubishi WD57734 HDTV via DVI/HDMI on other output. HDHomeRun HDHR5-4US tuner, Hauppauge "Siena" 1512 HD-PVR2 connected to Cisco Cable modem from Spectrum, tuned with USB-UIRT.
Old 08-08-2010, 06:16 PM
Sage Icon

Windows might be "functioning as designed". Depending on how you pause the content (i.e. what kind of remote you have) it might not reset the idle timer.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:15 PM
Sage Aficionado

I know that the Windows API has a call that allows applications to inhibit Windows from going into sleep state. I assumed SageTV v6 has always done this, because it would show my screen saver slide show for hours if I left SageTV at full-screen. But when put SageTV to sleep, then the computer would sleep after 30 minutes as scheduled.

This is the behavior I want to see in SageTV v7. If it has changed, then it is a regression and should be considered a bug, right?
HD300 extender with (2020 New Build) SageTV 64 bit V9.2.2.903 (service mode), Running on Windows 10 (64 bit), Intel Core i7-10700K CPU, 16G RAM, GIGABYTE Z490 UD motherboard. NVidia GTX1650 Super; Viewsonic LCD on one output and Mitsubishi WD57734 HDTV via DVI/HDMI on other output. HDHomeRun HDHR5-4US tuner, Hauppauge "Siena" 1512 HD-PVR2 connected to Cisco Cable modem from Spectrum, tuned with USB-UIRT.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:03 AM
Sage Advanced User

I have found this behavior annoying for years now. My versions 2/4/6 and now 7 have done this, after being idle or paused for two minutes. Argh!

Pause the show to get a snack and poof, Standby Mode. I've never found a way to stop it from happening. Note that it does not happen every time.

Started a thread four years ago, and lots of research since, to no avail: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20510

As babgvant states, something to do with Windows Idle Timer (2 minutes I believe). Never found a solution though.

Last edited by Pinan; 08-09-2010 at 12:08 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Sage Icon

I use LcdWriter to reset the idle timer during playback. Works perfectly.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:22 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post
I use LcdWriter to reset the idle timer during playback.
Could you elaborate please? I use LCD Smartie, and downloaded LcdWriter a while back, but never fired it up.

How did you set that up please?

Thanks
Old 08-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinan View Post
Could you elaborate please? I use LCD Smartie, and downloaded LcdWriter a while back, but never fired it up.

How did you set that up please?

Thanks
There's a setting in the config tool that if checked, uses the values published by nielm's getstatus jar to reset the display idle timer during media playback.

Then there's a tray application that polls the getstatus plugin for state info. For those with a VFD it has native support for several displays as well as a LcdSmartie wrapper "display" that can use LcdSmartie display dlls. For those w/o a VFD select the "Null Writer" will throw away the state info, but still do the other things it can do.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:24 PM
Sage Advanced User

Great, thanks! I do have a VFD display so will check this out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
The download link on this page http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/down...do=file&id=254
fails. I'll look for my copy.

Just noticed it's your link.

Last edited by Pinan; 08-09-2010 at 12:29 PM. Reason: add to
Old 08-09-2010, 02:15 PM
Sage Advanced User

Rats. Can't find the copy I had. Could you link to it please?
Old 08-09-2010, 02:33 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Rats. Can't find the copy I had. Could you link to it please?
Sorry forgot that my site's down right now - x86 | x64*.

* if you're planning to use the LcdSmartie wrapper install the x86 rev of LcdWriter
Old 08-09-2010, 03:39 PM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the links!

I'd like to keep LCD Smartie, as it was a bear to set up the way I need (thanks to the MizookLCD plugin it was possible). Is using the Wrapper fairly self explanatory? or could you post a how-to for me?

Thanks again.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:44 PM
Sage Icon

I could if my site was working
Old 08-09-2010, 03:46 PM
Sage Advanced User

*Chuckle*. What happened? Hope all turns out well.

Whenever is OK. No rush.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:51 PM
Sage Icon

Looks like the database just went away. The last backup I have locally is from May so I'm hoping my host can do better.
Old 08-09-2010, 03:55 PM
Sage Advanced User

Ahh. The bit bucket swallowed another one.

May? Hope you didn't lose anything important.
Old 08-10-2010, 11:04 AM
Sage Advanced User

I see your site's back up.

I followed some screen shots I found, but am not sure that I covered everything. I run SageTV only. No extenders, etc.

To not mess with LCDSmartie I chose the "NullWriter" for Writer Name, and under the Sage tab I entered SageTV.exe for Watched Exe., and put a check mark in for Keep Display Active.

I gather that the tray program must also be running for this to work?

Did I miss anything?

Last edited by Pinan; 08-10-2010 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-10-2010, 11:08 AM
Sage Icon

Yep - finally got the db backup this morning

If you're running on the server chose SageTV.exe on the client you want SageTVClient.exe (or whatever it's called). The tray app needs to be running, and I think that's it.

What display do you have?
Old 08-10-2010, 08:43 PM
Sage Advanced User

Remote related?

Quote:
I have found this behavior annoying for years now. My versions 2/4/6 and now 7 have done this, after being idle or paused for two minutes. Argh!
Pause the show to get a snack and poof, Standby Mode. I've never found a way to stop it from happening. Note that it does not happen every time.
This (premature suspends) just started happening to me after I changed Sage's Remote configuration to External and configured Eventghost do MCE to Sage remote conversion. The previous remote mode was Hauppauge. So it seems either Hauppauge IR.exe or Sage (I'm running 7.12) when configured for a supported remote, clears the idle timer on remote commands -- and Event Ghost does not -- unless you add the command yourself. I'm using the Event Ghost SageTV plugin, which only provides the base command (no extra stuff like autorepeat on volume, etc.) I understand that you can trigger a reset idle timer via a "my-remote.wildcard" event.
http://www.eventghost.org/forum/view...e+timer#p15122
So, I'll try that.
This doesn't solve the long pause issue, but my sleep timer is set long enough that clearing idle timer on remote commands should do the trick.

TW

Last edited by teedublu; 08-10-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:30 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by babgvant View Post
What display do you have?
I have the 2x16 character Samsung VFD w/parallel port connector. It came in the D.Vine 4 case that I use.

Thanks for the guidance. Keeping my fingers crossed that this will fix the issue.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:37 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by teedublu View Post
The previous remote mode was Hauppauge.
That's what I have configured, and use now (Sage 7.11). That and a Harmony 520. Regardless of which one I use the problem exists. So not sure what to make of your experience. I'm hoping for the best though.