SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV HD Theater - Media Player
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV HD Theater - Media Player Discussion related to using the SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player, i.e.: in use while not connected to a SageTV server. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to using a SageTV HD Theater as a Media Player should be posted here. Use the SageTV Media Extender forum for issues related to using it while connected to a SageTV server.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:01 AM
Sage User

Invalid Directory, empty Imported Media

I'll do my very best to remain calm and post the relevant details, but I'll be honest, I'm really pissed. With the SageTV HD200 in Standalone mode (I do not have the server software) I cannot browse the local network to set up import folders. I had been able to at one point, and import folders were there though the ability to browse and add new folders went away some months ago. Tonight, the device forgot all my import folders. With the inability to browse the network to set them up again, I have a useless box.

SageTV HD200
Firmware: latest beta (20100719 0)
Network setting: static IP, windows workgroup enabled, set to "WORKGROUP"
Other network functions (weather, etc) work fine.

Network shares are on a Maxtor Central Axis NAS on the local network, same /24 subnet and workgroup name as the HD200. The "Our Movies" folder within the "Public" folder on the Central Axis contains all the video files. The Central Axis is set up to allow "Public Access" on the "Public" folder; indeed, this setting cannot be changed. The Central Axis will not allow the creation of a passwordless account (as suggested in one of the many, many threads on this topic I've reviewed tonight).

Every other device on the local network can see the "Public" folder on the Central Axis and no user/password is required to view the contents. The HD200 cannot, and gives the "Invalid Directory" error when attempting to browse the network. With the beta firmware I have attempted to enter the network share address directly in the following formats:

\\AXIS
\\AXIS\Public
\\192.168.15.50
\\192.168.15.50\Public
smb://AXIS
smb://AXIS/Public
smb://192.168.15.50
smb://192.168.15.50/Public

In each case I am presented with a username/password dialog. It can't be left blank or I am told there is a problem connecting to the directory. I created a one-letter account with permissions on the "Public" folder; entering that account name and password resulted in a "wrong password" error. I am quite sure I entered the account name and password correctly and case-sensitively; they were "a" and "1" respectively.

Without modesty, I'm a smart guy. I'm an experienced software release engineer. I have intimate knowledge of Windows and Mac OS X and a considerable base of Linux. I built my home network and everything else (networked DVRs, multiple computers, smartphones on WiFi, etc) works without issue.

I cannot get this thing to work.

Let me know what other information might be useful in solving this problem. I would like to keep the HD200 and continue using it; when the import directories worked, even though I couldn't add more, I enjoyed being able to watch TV episodes and movies stored on my NAS. Now I can't do that.

Please advise.

Last edited by AndrewRich; 07-20-2010 at 03:03 AM.
Old 07-20-2010, 11:15 AM
SageTVaholic

I don't use the HD200 in Standalone mode so I don't have any specific advice to give you beyond what you've already tried. But since you're using Beta firmware, you might want to submit a formal bug report to make sure you get the devs' attention. (These user-to-user forums are not the official support channel; the devs and support techs don't read every post.)
Old 07-20-2010, 04:19 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
But since you're using Beta firmware, you might want to submit a formal bug report to make sure you get the devs' attention.
Thanks, I have now done so. I'm using the Beta firmware because the public release doesn't support manual direct entry of network addresses (though that feature has also been useless to me, it was something I had to try).
Old 07-20-2010, 11:20 PM
Sage User

I created a bug report and was contacted today with a request for logs. I'm gratified by the quick response and I hope the problem can be resolved soon.
Old 07-28-2010, 08:15 PM
Sage User

AndrewRich, did you ever hear a solution to this issue?
Old 07-29-2010, 10:49 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmcclung View Post
AndrewRich, did you ever hear a solution to this issue?
Yes, and I've been working with the beta test developer to debug it. There were actually two distinct problems, one of which has been resolved.

The Invalid Directory error resulted from the fact that Mac OS X doesn't automatically assume the SMB/CIFS Master Browser role in the absence of another Master Browser. I no longer have any Windows machines on my network, so there was no Master Browser and therefore the HD200 couldn't get a list of available SMB/CIFS shares. I resolved this with information from here which led me to enable SMB sharing on one of my Macs, a Mini which is on all the time anyway. Once I did so and it assumed the Master Browser role, the HD200 was able to browse the local network and did find some shared directories for import.

The second problem was the authentication failure when attempting to directly connect to the Maxtor NAS; I no longer have to manually enter the SMB address of the NAS, as it is discovered by the HD200's network browser, but it still tries to authenticate when the NAS does not require any authentication. The beta test developer said it might be a problem with the interaction between the JCIFS library (network browsing), Linux kernel code (SMB mounting) and the SAMBA implementation on the NAS. They will be adding a new UI option in an upcoming beta firmware to optionally disregard authentication requests, which should allow the HD200 to connect to the NAS and discover the shared folders.

I will update this thread again when I've had a chance to test that and hopefully report success. Once again, I have to acknowledge the quick and knowledgeable support responses. I'm quite impressed.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:34 AM
Sage Advanced User

I'm still getting a similar error maybe same... I have a ton of Windows 7 computers on my network and a few Mint Linux ones. Sage Media center is working on one of my W7 Pro computers and I haven't touched it in over a year.

Auto connect to the server works great, but when I turn off & on, stop auto connect, select browse local network, it asks me for a user & pass. This morning I did the auto update thing in settings but I still get the same error.

Any ideas?

I'll have to start one of them up and get version numbers n such, but I figured when I saw the thread I would ask if there was any update on this.
3x HD200 for front end hooked to TVs
1x Placeshifter License for remote connections
Old 03-13-2011, 09:14 AM
Sage Advanced User

Software version number on the HD200: 20100909 0

So this time when I selected browse local network it told me invalid directory. It gave me the option to manually enter a network path; I typed in the ip address of the computer I wanted to access (guessing there is more to the path but I didn't know the syntax). It told me it was invalid or asked for a user and pass I don't remember. I went into the browse local network a 2nd time and there was about a dozen computers that showed up...

I've tried to use that at least 6-7 times in the past few months. I'm glad it worked, but I wish I knew what the difference was.
3x HD200 for front end hooked to TVs
1x Placeshifter License for remote connections

Tags
hd200, imported media, invalid directory, network share