SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 07-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Sage Aficionado

Memory leak????

I have a fresh install of beta 11 and I have had windows issue low memory warnings several times and want to close sage. When I start Sage the task manager shows sagetv.exe using just under 200,000K of memory. after 2.5 days of instance uptime it is using 513,000K of memory and growing. I am only using comskip playback plugin at the moment and the serenity theme. I was curious if anyone else has seen this.
Old 07-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Sage Expert

Beta becomes unresponsive for me after a day or two, fine again if I close and restart. Have seen memory up around 4-500mb. Using photo slideshow screensaver seems to make it worse.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:10 PM
Sage

Depending upon the size you have your Java heap set to be; I wouldn't be surprised at all with it using 400-500MB RAM. But if this continues to grow without bound over time then it's possible you have have found an issue.

First, disable any plugins you're using so those can be ruled out as the cause.

Second, ensure the memory keeps growing without bound. Check it every day (or more frequently), and if it keeps going up every day until the operating system itself runs out of memory...then you've likely found an issue. In that case, definitely file a bug report on it at http://sagetv.com/bugs.html

Currently we are not aware of any memory leaks that occur in V7.

Many people think they find a memory leak when memory usage keeps growing; but they don't realize that the JVM's heap will continue to grow until it hits its maximum size. You can see that statistic in the System Information screen (and you can use the Delete command on that screen to force a Java garbage collection....however on PCs the JVM will never return memory to the operating system once it is part of the Java heap...so don't expect a garbage collection to cause the memory usage in task manager to decrease).
Old 07-07-2010, 11:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

My java heap is set pretty high at 1014, but at 3d 3hr 24min of instance uptime it has never gone above 399 total. Yet, Sage.exe is using 513,916K occording to the task manager. I have 3gb of Ram and my total system usage is 64%.

Since my Java Heap is set at 1014 does that mean I will see it hit 1,014,000K in the task manager before I can be certain there is some kind of leak.
Old 07-08-2010, 05:57 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigap View Post
My java heap is set pretty high at 1014, but at 3d 3hr 24min of instance uptime it has never gone above 399 total. Yet, Sage.exe is using 513,916K occording to the task manager. I have 3gb of Ram and my total system usage is 64%.

Since my Java Heap is set at 1014 does that mean I will see it hit 1,014,000K in the task manager before I can be certain there is some kind of leak.
It is normal that the process memory size would be higher than the java heap usage, since the java process is a virtual machine it wil extra overhead over and above what the running application is allocating.

Memory leaks in java are hard to find, since, as Jeff noted, the java process will continue to allocate memory as needed. If you give it a gig, then over time, it will grow to a gig and never release that back to the OS. One potential sign of a memory leak is if the java heap size continues to grow over time until such time that it cannot allocate any new objects. ie, a java OutOfMemory error can be an indication of a memory (but it's not a certainty that there is a memory leak).

Consider images, ie, pictures. When they are loaded, they consume a lot memory. So, the jvm will continue to allocate memory especially if you are loading lots of images. The process memory will shoot up, the heap will shoot up, but after a period of time, the heap should decrease (due to garbage collection), but the java process will stay the same. Because of how garbage collection works, your java heap may never return to it's initial state, since you'll no double always have objects on the heap that are too exepensive garbarge collect, and as such, they won't be collected until they absolutely have to be, or until the system is idle long enough for java to decide to do it.

I would keep track of your memory usuage, but try to measure both the size of the heap and the size of the process.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:31 AM
Sage Expert

There is nothing wrong with that memory usage. Mine is similar, too.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:21 PM
SageTVaholic

I agree with Mitch, I am usually running around 500MB of RAM usage by Sage. Sage doesn't use much in terms in CPU, but it is a bit of a RAM hog. Oh well, with Memory prices these days, 500MB of RAM isn't really that expensive (unless you are running a system with SD or DDR RAM!).
Sage Server: AMD Athlon II 630, Asrock 785G motherboard, 3GB of RAM, 500GB OS HD in RAID 1 and 2 - 750GB Recording Drives, HDHomerun, Avermedia HD Duet & 2-HDPVRs, and 9.0TB storage in RAID 5 via Dell Perc 5i for DVD storage
Source: Clear QAM and OTA for locals, 2-DishNetwork VIP211's
Clients: 2 Sage HD300's, 2 Sage HD200's, 2 Sage HD100's, 1 MediaMVP, and 1 Placeshifter
Old 07-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Sage Expert

And almost on queue, topped out around a gig last night when the photo slideshow was left on. Out of memory errors, reboot.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:10 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbeers View Post
Oh well, with Memory prices these days, 500MB of RAM isn't really that expensive (unless you are running a system with SD or DDR RAM!).
But a 32bit OS that is maxed out at 3gb.

Oh well, as I like to say "There's nothing you can't fix if you throw a little money at it." 64bit OS and 2x2gb memory kit here I come. $200+
Old 07-10-2010, 12:49 AM
SageTVaholic

There's no reason to take a sage server over 3GB at this point. Especially as long as it's all stuck in a single JVM. I wish, at the very least, they'd split the extender's into their own JVM, so you could run at a bit higher memory footprint.

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room
Old 07-10-2010, 11:21 AM
Sage Aficionado

Well, after approx. 6 days it seems to have topped out in the lower end of 500,000K. My total percentage of used memory for the entire system was still high at 85%, so I did some thinking and recalled that my onboard graphics was still turned on in the bios with 512mb of shared memory allocated to it. I turned that off and now I have another 500mb of memory available. Hopefully this was the problem.