SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 02-01-2005, 01:14 PM
Sage User

Possible Memory Leak?

Hey! I'm still fairly new at SageTV, almost had it for a month now!

For the most part I'm fairly happy with it, but I have noticed some strange freezes and slow downs.

I'm using a PVR 500 (The new one with dual 150 tuners). I have the nvidia codec. Using a AMD 1800+ 512mb ram and an ATI 9000 pro 128mb vid card with DVI output.

I've noticed that SageTV becomes insanely slow, or will actually freeze. If I sit there and wait long enough (Longest has been almost 8 minutes) it will eventually respond and start whatever process I had asked it to do. I notice this more if it has been running, even in sleep mode, for longer than 5 hours. The problem gradually increases the longer the system is up. A quick reboot seems to remedy the problem, with only the occasional hic-up after an hours usage.

Most common problems: Freeze in starting a STV recording. Long Pause to view list of STV recording (very very long pause), Long pause or occasional freeze to go from a Recording to detail information, main menu, or back to STV recording list.

The issue seems fairly consistent. I thought this was a WinXp issue, but STV seems to be the only product that is effected. Is this due to STV using Java or is their an actual leak in STV.

Recommendations? (More Ram is not an option here)
Old 02-01-2005, 02:31 PM
Administrator

One thing to look at: Do you have Norton AntiVirus (or perhapd others)? If so, try disabling auto-scanning of the SageTV recording directories, so it won't scan your recordings.

Also, check that your Java runtime is up to date. If you are running a custom STV, see if it also happens when using the default STV.

- Andy
- HD Extenders: A) FAQs B) URC MX-700 remote setup
Note: This is a users' forum; see the Rules. For official tech support fill out a Support Request.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:00 PM
SageTVaholic

If it's a memory leak, then you would see it growing in the Task Manager.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:32 PM
Sage User

Ok, I'm using AVG as an anti-virus and it is not auto-scanning the TV folder
That was a good suggestion though, didn't even think of that possibility.

My Java is up to date (Just to make sure I re-downloaded it) and I am using a custom STV (malore's I believe) but I get the same pause with Sage TV using the default as well.

I have noticed in the task manager that STV does slowly increase it's memory usage, although it seems to be fairly dynamic. While in sleep mode STV takes up approx 33,000 but at times will jump as high up as 60,000. I do not know what's causing the descrpenancies. Is it possible that STV uses a high amount of memory at one point, and stops using it, but for some reason the unused memory isn't being returnd to the "pool" so to speak? (I'm guessing here I don't know much about XP os details)
Old 02-04-2005, 12:43 PM
SageTVaholic

If the memory isn't being released ("returned to the pool") then task manager would not show a decrease in memory usage.

It's entirely possible that there is a memory leak, but I haven't seen one in SageTV in quite a long time.

The most likely reason for temporary spikes in memory usage are beginning/ending a recording or performing the task of scheduling recordings for the future. These spikes are to be expected.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:08 PM
SageTVaholic

Could this be the problem with your slow downs:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narflex
SageTV 2.2.5 Release Candidate is now available.

Here's the release notes:
SageTV 2.2.5 Release Candidate 2/2/05
Release Notes

Core Modifications
3. Fixed bug when using 2D rendering where the UI would hang for awhile and then all of a sudden recover and execute all the events that were queued up while it was hung. This was due to a timing calc that got affected by clock resync.
BobP.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:28 PM
Sage User

That may very well be it and I haven't been waiting long enough for the actions to re-start. I'll have check the update