SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:21 AM
SageTVaholic

HDHomeRun - Halt Detected in Recording

I'm getting tons of these errors when Sage is trying to record from my HDHomeRun. When it happens the UI becomes totally unresponsive with just the spinning circle showing. I was hoping the change made in the latest beta where it does not reload from scratch would help, but it hasn't.

Anybody else seeing this? I plan on filing a bug report tonight.

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:41 AM
Sage Icon

I got them for the two programs that tried to record as mentioned here:
http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49284
but I am sure that was only because of the issue mentioned there.

Otherwise, my HDHRs have seemed to be acting normally... sorry.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:43 AM
Sage Aficionado

I was getting them alot also. I update my HDHR firmware and software and updated to the newest sage 7 beta and it seemed to solve the problem.
1 HDHomeRun
4TB Storage, GB Network
2 MVPs, 1 HD100 & 1 HD300
Old 06-22-2010, 09:11 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusvball View Post
I update my HDHR firmware and software and updated to the newest sage 7 beta and it seemed to solve the problem.
Good point, I didn't mention that I have a newly-built server so my HDHR firmware/software and my Sage version are all the very latest.
Tuners: 4 tuners via (2) HDHomeruns (100% OTA, DIY antennas in the attic).
Clients: Several HD300s, HD200s, even an old HD100, all on wired LAN. Latest firmware for each.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:20 AM
SageTVaholic

I upgraded the HDHR firmware and drivers about a month ago, is there something newer?

Sage Server: 8th gen Intel based system w/32GB RAM running Ubuntu Linux, HDHomeRun Prime with cable card for recording. Runs headless. Accessed via RD when necessary. Four HD-300 Extenders.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:25 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmiranda View Post
I upgraded the HDHR firmware and drivers about a month ago, is there something newer?
Latest beta is also out there. In SageTV 7 it makes sure .scn files are created in the right directory.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:32 AM
Sage Aficionado

I used to get a ton of these errors when I was having signal problems...adding an amp. to the line got rid of 'em...
Old 06-22-2010, 02:30 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdnttoker View Post
I used to get a ton of these errors when I was having signal problems...adding an amp. to the line got rid of 'em...
Was this for OTA? What kind of amp did you get?
Old 06-22-2010, 05:00 PM
Sage Advanced User

I have an amp as well- but still see these from time to time. I'll double check on the scn file.....
Old 06-22-2010, 05:20 PM
Sage User

Quote:
I'm getting tons of these errors when Sage is trying to record from my HDHomeRun. When it happens the UI becomes totally unresponsive with just the spinning circle showing. I was hoping the change made in the latest beta where it does not reload from scratch would help, but it hasn't.

Anybody else seeing this? I plan on filing a bug report tonight.
Is it happening with one or two particular channels?

This started happening to me a few weeks ago. I believe my local cable provider remapped some channels, so when Sage tried to record from some of the channels it wasn't getting a signal.

I fixed it by rescanning (in the HDHR setup) and then rescanning in Sage; so far so good, but it's been less than a week.
Old 06-23-2010, 05:11 AM
SageTVaholic

I have an amp and it was all working fine under version 6. My cable company did remap all of the channels about 6 weeks ago and when that happened I upgraded all of the HDHR software and remapped all of the channels. I can manually view all of the channels. I'll look into this more but I did file a bug report.

Even if there is a problem with the signal or the mapping I would like to see Sage handle the situation a bit more gracefully. When it happens my extenders become totally unresponsive (just the spinning circle) until the offending show ends. So if it's trying to record an hour long show I get about 50 "Halt Detected is Recording" messages, a log full of errors, and a "tech support call" from my kids.

Old 06-23-2010, 07:29 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:

Yes there is. It is to fix the problem you are having. Now I am not saying this is the only cause to your problem, but the updates were created to fix this issue.
1 HDHomeRun
4TB Storage, GB Network
Old 06-23-2010, 07:52 AM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by limiter View Post
Was this for OTA? What kind of amp did you get?
http://www.solidsignal.com/pview.asp...ku=02057207774

Channel Master preamp
Old 06-23-2010, 08:52 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Even if there is a problem with the signal or the mapping I would like to see Sage handle the situation a bit more gracefully. When it happens my extenders become totally unresponsive (just the spinning circle) until the offending show ends. So if it's trying to record an hour long show I get about 50 "Halt Detected is Recording" messages, a log full of errors,........
Same goes with HD-PVR. Yesterday my cable box shut down for some reason. So no signal was there, and Sage seems to be still alive, but video playback is stuttering. Even after a full restart, my video playback is not working right -- stuttering badly now even though it appears hardware acceleration is still working. And as always, video playback is perfect in WMP or TME.

TW
Old 06-23-2010, 09:18 AM
SageTVaholic

I got the splitter/amplifier below from RadioShack for my 2 HDHomeruns using Digital cable. 100% on all clear Qam

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2103093
Old 06-23-2010, 11:24 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusvball View Post
Yes there is. It is to fix the problem you are having. Now I am not saying this is the only cause to your problem, but the updates were created to fix this issue.
OK, I'll check that out.

As for the amp I am using - http://www.cabletvamps.com/ - has a big selection of amps and splitters. Very high quality items at reasonable prices.

I've heard too many horror stories about cheap amps from places like RadioShack (sorry nyplayer). Also every TV tech I've spoken to tells me to stay away from the cheaper amps .

Old 01-20-2011, 09:14 PM
Sage User

Not to bring a dead thread back to life, but...

I'm having the same issue. HDHomeRun firmware 20100828, SageTV 7.0.23.246. I get about 20-40 "Halt detected" warnings until the program just shows up as "missed" and it doesn't appear in the recordings list. HDHomeRun preview w/ VLC works just fine for said channels w/ no skipping and great signal strength. I've tried increasing the delay per post #12 here, but still no change.

Here's a debug log in case someone else can parse out what's going on...
Attached Files
File Type: txt sagetv_logsnippet.txt (8.0 KB, 148 views)
Old 01-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanmat View Post
I'm having the same issue. HDHomeRun firmware 20100828, SageTV 7.0.23.246. I get about 20-40 "Halt detected" warnings until the program just shows up as "missed" and it doesn't appear in the recordings list. HDHomeRun preview w/ VLC works just fine for said channels w/ no skipping and great signal strength. I've tried increasing the delay per post #12 here, but still no change.

Here's a debug log in case someone else can parse out what's going on...
Just so you know, you're not alone. I have the same config/firmware version as you and regularly get the "Halt Detected" alerts. Mine are usually for a minute or two at the beginning of a recording, with the rest of the recording being fine.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:26 AM
Sage Aficionado

I was having this issue every couple of months or so. I think I have finally figured out was was causing my problems. Every couple of months comcast changes the channel frequency for the QAM stations and I have to rescan on the HDHR and then go back into sage to rescan the channels. I have been told by some techs that comcast does this just to mess with people. Their official reason is because they are moving channels on the cable setup to add more HD. Just another reason I do not like comast and will be dropping them in about 1 month.
1 HDHomeRun
4TB Storage, GB Network
Old 01-24-2011, 11:26 AM
Sage Advanced User

You might check out this thread:

http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49093

I was having halt issues and it turned out to be that the server O/S was not updating the file sizes. Hope that helps.