SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Sage Advanced User

HDHomeRun tuner reports Halt Detected in Recording

I've recently added a 2nd HDHR tuner, and now I'm getting intermittent system messages warning of Siliconedust HDHomeRun Tuner stopped producing data, will try to reset the device.

Which tuner varies, which channel varries. Each channel previews fine in the video source setup. I'm running the latest driver release from Siliconedust, 20090806. (Woops, just found there's a 20090830 available. I'll see if that helps.) Both tuners are on the same gigabit switch as the Sage server, which is running a gigabit NIC. Shouldn't be any network bandwith issues.

If anybody's got HDHR stability tips, that would be great!
Intel Skulltrail D5400XS, Dual Quad Core Xeon L5420, Windows Server 2012 R2 on 200Gb partition, 32Gb RAM, 8x WD 2Tb RE4 RAID6 on LSI 9690SA-8I (DVD/Blu-Ray), 2x 4Tb HDDs (TV), Colossus, 2x HD-PVR, HDHR3 Prime, DirectTV STB, USB-UIRT, Sage v2 v3 v4 v5 v6 v7.1.9, Java v1.6 build 45, 3 Placeshifter licenses, and 3 HD-300's.
Plugins: Phoenix API, PlayOn For SageTV, Comskip Playback, YouTube, Nielm's Sage Utiities
Software: PlayOn, ComSkip Monitor, ComSkip

Last edited by vhurst; 09-12-2009 at 11:52 AM. Reason: HDHR driver version correction
Old 09-12-2009, 12:11 PM
SageTVaholic

Make sure they are both at the same firmware level. There was a bug recently that the firmware wouldn't always get updated but it was fixed rather quickly. Make sure you scanned ALL 4 tuners. (Whether it was an update scan or a full scan it needs to be done to all 4.) And I've usually removed them completely from Sage and then added them back in when I added a new HDHR. If this persists I recommend opening a ticket with Silicondust and enabling debug on both tuners so they can compare the two to see what is happening. Have you tried swapping cable (cpax) connections between the two to see if the trouble follows?

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 09-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Sage Icon

Go to the setup sources and check the signal strength on the offending tuner/channel. I'll bet you have a signal issue. Could be a bad cable, bad splitter or maybe even a bum tuner on that HDHR.

I see it on certain channels on my setup. They are clear QAM cable channels that have signal issues. When that happens I'll see it all the time. I get the same warnings on USAHD, TNTHD, and several other channels via my STB and HD-PVR.
I have to call Comcast again to have them come out and replace my cable from the pole and/or fix the amp nearest to me. I've had both done at least once each in the last few years.
Satellite isn't an option due to me being on the wrong side of the hill between the hill and a few acres of trees I couldn't get a signal.
So its cable or U-Verse and with all the technical limitations of U-Verse and SageTv (i.e. HD-PVR needed for each and every tuner,no HDHR, etc) then that isn't really an option either.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:28 AM
Sage User

Hope this isn't a hijack, but I have the same problem, but worse. I upgraded to the newest versions of Sagetv, SageMC, and drivers for HDHR.

Mine does it constantly on both HDHR's, but ALSO, it does it on my HD-PVR, which indicates to me that it's not an HDHR problem, but some sort of problem with Sage, MC, or my setup. Never shows red in the recording, always shows green but will just skip maybe 30 seconds or so.

Any ideas on what it could be since it also happens on my PVR?
Old 09-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vhurst View Post
I've recently added a 2nd HDHR tuner, and now I'm getting intermittent system messages warning of Siliconedust HDHomeRun Tuner stopped producing data, will try to reset the device.

Which tuner varies, which channel varries. Each channel previews fine in the video source setup. I'm running the latest driver release from Siliconedust, 20090806. (Woops, just found there's a 20090830 available. I'll see if that helps.) Both tuners are on the same gigabit switch as the Sage server, which is running a gigabit NIC. Shouldn't be any network bandwith issues.

If anybody's got HDHR stability tips, that would be great!
I believe you may be seeing a issue that I encountered with multiple HDHRs. The increase in network traffic slows down the response from the HDHR just long enough for Sage to time out before seeing the response. See the thread at http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42784, start at post #10. Post #12 is the instructions on how I corrected the issue.
Server : Intel Core i7 2.8 GHz Processor: Gigabyte X58A-UD3R Motherboard: 6 GB Memory : 1 120 GB Intel SSD :3 2 TB WD hard drives:1 Hauppauge PVR 2250: 3 HDHomeRuns:1 HD300 extender;1 HD200 extender;1 HD100 extender 2 MVP Media Extenders: Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium all updates applied, SageTV V7.1.7.254.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:49 PM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgar View Post
I believe you may be seeing a issue that I encountered with multiple HDHRs. The increase in network traffic slows down the response from the HDHR just long enough for Sage to time out before seeing the response. See the thread at http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42784, start at post #10. Post #12 is the instructions on how I corrected the issue.
Thanks Carlgar,

This makes more sense as to what my problem may be. I didn't have this problem with one HDHR running, but after adding the second, i started getting the halt errors, and their showing up irregularly from any of the four tuners. I'll try to figure out the method described in the referenced post, and increase the halt detect timing.

I did upgrade to the 20090830 HDHR driver, and all four tuners have great signal/quality on all the enabled channels. I don't believe I have any problems on the RF side.
Intel Skulltrail D5400XS, Dual Quad Core Xeon L5420, Windows Server 2012 R2 on 200Gb partition, 32Gb RAM, 8x WD 2Tb RE4 RAID6 on LSI 9690SA-8I (DVD/Blu-Ray), 2x 4Tb HDDs (TV), Colossus, 2x HD-PVR, HDHR3 Prime, DirectTV STB, USB-UIRT, Sage v2 v3 v4 v5 v6 v7.1.9, Java v1.6 build 45, 3 Placeshifter licenses, and 3 HD-300's.
Plugins: Phoenix API, PlayOn For SageTV, Comskip Playback, YouTube, Nielm's Sage Utiities
Software: PlayOn, ComSkip Monitor, ComSkip

Last edited by vhurst; 09-29-2009 at 10:54 PM. Reason: additional detail