SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 09-04-2006, 12:43 PM
Sage User

How to halt all recording?

Sage is crashing on me consistently (daily) if left in Live TV mode for hours on end. Is there a way to tell SageTV to stop recording/buffering LiveTV at a specific time or interval and return to the main menu?

I'm working through the problem with support, but frankly they seem stumped. So while the "return to main menu" solution isn't optimal, I have confirmed Sage won't crash while just sitting idle.

For others experiencing similar issues, my problem results in either 1) a SageTV "black screen" where the only keypress it responds to is "stop", and any attempt to watch Live TV or a recording results in a decoder error until I relaunch SageTV; or 2) SageTV just plain crashing (result is a Windows "send this to Microsoft" dialog). I've sent many debug logs to techsupport but nothing so far.

If anyone knows how to tell Sage to halt buffering/recording, I'd love to hear it. Temporarily I've resorted to Windows Scheduler rebooting the machine twice a day. VERY inconvenient at best...

.scott
Old 09-04-2006, 01:09 PM
Sage Fanatic

Not really a solution, but if you're running SageTV in service mode, why not just use the scheduler to stop and then restart the SageTV service instead of rebooting? Could stop and restart it with one simple batch script...
Old 09-04-2006, 01:11 PM
SageTVaholic

I don't really know what you mean by stopping it from recording. All I do is press the stop button when I'm finished watching and it stops recording.

What version of java are you running?
Old 09-04-2006, 06:03 PM
Sage User

I'm running 1.5.0_06.

Pressing stop isn't feasible. I go to sleep with the TV on and many times it will die before morning. Also, it's hard to tell your spouse "BTW, you need to press "stop" before turning off the TV. It's hard enough getting her to understand why we have a computer in her closet with wires running through the wall. :-)

The service is fine -- it's the client that's dying. I need a way to either simulate a "stop" buttonpress or to relaunch the client.

.scott
Old 09-04-2006, 07:34 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscottsimon
I'm running 1.5.0_06.

Pressing stop isn't feasible. I go to sleep with the TV on and many times it will die before morning. Also, it's hard to tell your spouse "BTW, you need to press "stop" before turning off the TV. It's hard enough getting her to understand why we have a computer in her closet with wires running through the wall. :-)

The service is fine -- it's the client that's dying. I need a way to either simulate a "stop" buttonpress or to relaunch the client.

.scott
The use this plugin. (sleep timer)
Old 09-04-2006, 08:06 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscottsimon
I'm running 1.5.0_06.
The version of java you're running has a known memory leak and isn't recommended by Sage.

There is a thread here discussing the problem. I don't know if it's causing your particular problem or not, but might be something to look at. I think most people reverted back to v1.4_12 to get around the problem. Some of the very latest java betas supposedly fix the problem.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:51 AM
Sage User

I installed the JDK6 beta with Sept 01 snapshot. We're at ~14 hours Live TV viewing and it's still ticking, which looks positive. I did encounter one hard lockup while viewing a recorded program, but I'm attributing it to a corrupt MPEG -- I think there was a power failure while recording that file.

I may still install the "sleep" STVi -- might as well save unnecessary wear/tear on the hard drive.

Will post again here after it has ran awhile longer.