SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 04-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Sage User

Java 6 Update 19

Updated my machine to Java 6 Update 19 like I've done a million Java updates before and it has bricked my machine. I get the wallpaper screen with no icons or anything else, thought it claims it has loaded my personal preferences. Safe mode doesn't allow me to uninstall Java. [Windows Installer doesn't like Java and I've tried a bunch of tech tricks to get around that.] Last Good isn't.

The ONLY thing I run on my box is SageTV. This is NOT a Sage problem and sure looks like a Java problem.

I do have a backup of key Sage files but do not have an image backup but at this point I don't think the backup would help except on a rebuild.

Just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Thanks very much

Bill Cole
Old 04-09-2010, 04:30 PM
Sage Icon

Ive been running update 19 since it came out what like last tuesday or soemthing...i haven't had any problems thus far....
Old 04-09-2010, 05:33 PM
Sage Advanced User

Location: Stockton, CA - Most miserable city in the USA, SageTV makes it bearable
After upgrading to 19, my system started having issues like circle of death, random pauses, and halt errors on recordings.

Uninstalled Java, and went back to version 11, all is well.

I'm going to stay on version 11, unless otherwise told by Sage to upgrade to a particular version.

The PC running Sage is not really doing anything else, except for Sage, so It's not really at risk for Java security issues, or things like that.
Old 04-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wacole View Post
Updated my machine to Java 6 Update 19 like I've done a million Java updates before and it has bricked my machine. I get the wallpaper screen with no icons or anything else, thought it claims it has loaded my personal preferences. Safe mode doesn't allow me to uninstall Java. [Windows Installer doesn't like Java and I've tried a bunch of tech tricks to get around that.] Last Good isn't.

The ONLY thing I run on my box is SageTV. This is NOT a Sage problem and sure looks like a Java problem.

I do have a backup of key Sage files but do not have an image backup but at this point I don't think the backup would help except on a rebuild.

Just curious if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Thanks very much

Bill Cole
If you had an image of your system, you could easily get back to a functioning system in 30 minutes, recovering back to before the Java update, unless you have WHS...

Dave
Old 04-09-2010, 06:05 PM
Sage Advanced User

Did you try a System Restore?
Old 04-09-2010, 06:54 PM
SageTVaholic

I had issues when I installed the update. Windows would load and I could see all of the icons on the desktop, but not everything worked. For example I couldn't open the windows control panel to get to the add/remove programs screen, clicking on tray icons did nothing, Sage wouldn't load and I couldn't launch the Sage Service control panel. I couldn't uninstall java or reinstall. Some other things in windows wouldn't work either (can't recall what).

I think what I did was go into safe mode and disable Sage through the services screen located in the administrative section of the windows control panel. Then when I logged into windows everything else worked properly. Instead of uninstalling the updated I reinstalled it then enabled the Sage service and I haven't had any problems since.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:09 PM
SageTVaholic

There have been issues in the past with Java installers not properly detecting files in use and doing a corrupt install if the SageTV service is running. So the moral of that story is to always stop the service before attempting a Java upgrade.
Old 04-09-2010, 07:30 PM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKusnick View Post
There have been issues in the past with Java installers not properly detecting files in use and doing a corrupt install if the SageTV service is running. So the moral of that story is to always stop the service before attempting a Java upgrade.
Yeah that's what seems to have happened to me. I was in a hurry and forgot to stop the service. As soon as I rebooted and things stopped working I remembered that sticky at the top of the forum warning to stop the service first.

I know in the past I've forgotten from time to time and never had a problem. Now that it has been an issue I'll probably be more likely to remember next time.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:45 AM
Sage Icon

Not me. I had disabled the SageTv service, installed .19 rebooted and restarted the service and everything froze. I uninstalled and tried again same thing. went rolled back to .16 and Sage is still unstable. I thought was because I am running 2008 x64 R2.

But it seems Java has an issue?
Old 04-10-2010, 11:55 AM
Sage Icon

Yeah i spoke to soon. Was running great under 6u19....then just today it did some weird stuff on me... It actually managed to make my system unstable to the point where my mobo recommended i only use 3 of my 4 cores...

It also completely hosed up my slimserver installation. I had to completely remove all traces of java, and slimserver. Then reinstall older version of java, and reinstall slimserver.

weird stuff.....
Old 04-10-2010, 12:16 PM
Sage Icon

Just checked, and 3 of the 4 machines I maintain are at 6.19, and the other is at 6.18. No problems on any of them.

3 are SageTV servers, and 1 is my "main" machine.
Server #1= AMD A10-5800, 8G RAM, F2A85-M PRO, 12TB, HDHomerun Prime, HDHR, Colossus (Playback - HD-200)
Server #2= AMD X2 3800+, 2G RAM, M2NPV-VM, 2TB, 3x HDHR OTA (Playback - HD-200)
Old 04-11-2010, 06:22 AM
Sage User

Quote:
Originally Posted by blade View Post
I had issues when I installed the update. Windows would load and I could see all of the icons on the desktop, but not everything worked. For example I couldn't open the windows control panel to get to the add/remove programs screen, clicking on tray icons did nothing, Sage wouldn't load and I couldn't launch the Sage Service control panel. I couldn't uninstall java or reinstall. Some other things in windows wouldn't work either (can't recall what).

I think what I did was go into safe mode and disable Sage through the services screen located in the administrative section of the windows control panel. Then when I logged into windows everything else worked properly. Instead of uninstalling the updated I reinstalled it then enabled the Sage service and I haven't had any problems since.
Blade, thank you so very much. I did what you suggested and now I have Sage back. A lesson learned the hard way: disable Sage before doing Java updates. Thanks again.
Old 04-11-2010, 06:26 AM
Sage User

All, thanks very much for the thread discussion. I'm going to make an image [now that I have a BIG hard drive to store it on] and have learned about stopping and starting services.

BTW I've been using Acronis Home 2009 for a year and upgraded to Home 2010 only to find it extraordinarily buggy, so reverted back to 2009 using their uninstall tool and bricked that machine. We're working on that one now. Not a good couple of weeks.

Thanks again. You all are great!

Bill Cole
Old 04-19-2010, 08:18 PM
Sage Aficionado

Don't forget to disable the comskip monitor service as well (if using it) before doing the upgrade ... I have had the same issue when I remembered to turn off the Sage service, but not comskip monitor.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:06 AM
Sage User

Java Update 20

I fell for this with update 19.
I rebooted into safe mode and uninstalled 19.
I then rebooted and installed 18.
All was well with Sage.
Now 20 comes out and fools me again.
Same process to recover.
Sage should post the correct procedure for installing Java updates seeing how Java is so important to it's operation !

-an annoyed loyal user.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:19 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shugrue View Post
Sage should post the correct procedure for installing Java updates seeing how Java is so important to it's operation !

-an annoyed loyal user.
It's been posted here for over a year now.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:41 PM
Sage User

Java Update in Search Field

You can be sure that I typed "java update" in the search field.
I don't believe that it was "at the top" as one might expect.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:41 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shugrue View Post
You can be sure that I typed "java update" in the search field.
I don't believe that it was "at the top" as one might expect.
I'm sure you did, but it is a sticky at the top of the forum so I don't see what else you'd expect Sage to do post wise in the forums to address the issue.

As I said before I was in a hurry and forgot to stop the service even though I know I should, but upgrading java is a pretty simple process. There aren't any special steps involved.
Old 05-12-2010, 05:19 AM
Sage User

You're right.

Please forgive me.
I'm obviously a victim of "information overload".