SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV BETA Release Products > SageTV Beta Test Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Beta Test Software Discussion related to BETA Releases of the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. regarding SageTV Beta Releases should be posted here.

Old 01-28-2004, 01:02 AM
Administrator

Need to update Java?

Did I miss a recommendation to upgrade the Sun Java Runtime Environment? (See the link posted at the bottom of this Frey Technologies System Requirements page.)

There seems to be a slight revision for the java software vs what I had installed before. It is now 1.4.2_03 instead of 1.4.2.

After uninstalling the old version & installing the latest version, I noticed that my SageTV System Information screen now displays correct information, including fixing the Total Library Content so that it no longer displays 12444 days of content. I realize this could have just been a coincidence, so I will keep an eye on that and other problems I've been having. But, in case it actually makes a difference, perhaps others here should check their version of java?

- Andy
Old 01-28-2004, 06:17 AM
Sage Icon

I never saw otheriwise, so I update at every java release.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:11 AM
Sage User

when I first installed Sage, I would get occaisional hangups that would require me to end task on Sage... however, I couldn't restart it until I restarted my whole computer, because apparently End Task still left a sage process running. Updating Java fixed this, so that sold me on always checking to make sure I had the latest Java release.

That's part of the difficulty in beta testing, especially in a case like this where the product relies so heavily on another product, sometimes it's hard to tell if the flaw is in the beta or in something else.

Long story short, yes, always update to the newest Java release (unless explicitly told not to by those who are likely to know more than you do) in order to minimize non-Sage errors.
Old 01-28-2004, 11:10 AM
Administrator

Maybe that should have been one of the first instructions in the beta email notice.

So far, it has helped a couple things, but I'll wait for the EPG to update on its own, for example, before commenting in a couple threads I started. [Edit - ok, maybe I better comment in those threads to see if it helps others with the same problem...]

- Andy

Last edited by Opus4; 01-28-2004 at 11:12 AM.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:29 PM
Sage Icon

Just to reinforce (and bump) this thread.

Upgrading my Java from 1.4.2 to 1.4.2_03 made a marked difference on my Sage TV system.

Response is faster.

Seems to have fixed my "Next EPG Update: NEVER" issue.

Never had any crashes, so no difference there.

I guess the morale of the story: update your Java to 1.4.2_03 if you have not already.

I really think Jeff should post in the release notes which version of Java HE is using. Could alleviate a LOT of weird issues. I'll use the same one he is using as long as I know what version that is...

Jason
Old 01-29-2004, 12:34 AM

Just bumping to put this thread back near the top, since the Java update seems to have helped a few people.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:24 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by justme
Just bumping to put this thread back near the top, since the Java update seems to have helped a few people.
What's the best way to update Java for Sage so as not to screw up Sage?

M2S
Old 01-29-2004, 07:24 AM
SageTVaholic

Seems to have improved some things for me as well.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:39 AM
SageTVaholic

To upgrade: shut down sage, uninstall Java (and "Java Web Integration" or whatever its called) from the Add/Remove Programs control panel, then install the latest version.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:41 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by salsbst
To upgrade: shut down sage, uninstall Java (and "Java Web Integration" or whatever its called) from the Add/Remove Programs control panel, then install the latest version.
Sorry... I don't mean to be dense...

But when you say install the latest version, I am assuming you mean, latest version of Java, not Sage.. Correct?

M2S
Old 01-29-2004, 07:43 AM
SageTVaholic

correct
Old 01-29-2004, 07:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally posted by salsbst
correct
Thanx

M2S
Old 01-29-2004, 09:14 AM
SageTVaholic

You can also go to www.java.com and click on Free download-Get It Now button. This will upgrade you also. You can also go into Control Panel-Java Plugin and click the update tab. The newer version by default will check for updates on Day 3 of each month at 3am.

Gerry
Server - WHS 2011: Sage 7.1.9 - 1 x HD Prime and 2 x HDHomeRun - Intel Atom D525 1.6 GHz, Acer Easystore, RAM 4 GB, 4 x 2TB hotswap drives, 1 x 2TB USB ext Clients: 2 x PC Clients, 1 x HD300, 2 x HD-200, 1 x HD-100 DEV Client: Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit - AMD 64 x2 6000+, Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H MB, RAM 4GB, HD OS:500GB, DATA:1 x 500GB, Pace RGN STB.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by gplasky
You can also go to www.java.com and click on Free download-Get It Now button. This will upgrade you also. You can also go into Control Panel-Java Plugin and click the update tab. The newer version by default will check for updates on Day 3 of each month at 3am.
I would be careful regarding simply installing the new version over the old. I originally tried that and ended up with both versions installed. I have no idea whether that would have created a problem, but I decided to uninstall both & reinstall the new one anyway.

Yes, the latest one has an update tab; however, the older version did not. If you have the update tab, try using it. If you don't have that tab, I still suggest uninstalling first, just to be safe.

- Andy