SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 03-18-2010, 09:46 AM
Sage Advanced User

Music Collection Problems With Sagetv

It is probably just me, but music is a real pain for me to organize with Sagetv. I use Itunes to manage my music collection. I backup my cds get all the album art. Things look good from within itunes. Then I go to sagetv import my music from my one directory on my hard drive. Music shows up within sagetv, but lots of albums have no artwork. So I download the free album art fixer program. Get album art and go back into sagetv reimport music. Same thing missing album art. Not only that I am getting song titles showing as albums. So instead of my two hundred and something albums it shows 348. I double checked my folder where my music is stored and everything looks fine.

So after that long shpeel what are people using here to manage their music collection within sagetv?

**I have had less problems with backing up blurays then with music**
Old 03-18-2010, 09:56 AM
Sage Icon

I also use itunes to manage my music program, but i purchase and add on program called "TuneUP" which is pretty damn cool. It finds all kinds of stuff about the mp3. It even does an in depth wave analysis of the music file and matches it against an 18mil song database to try and find the correct song, metdata, etc.

TuneUP allows you to embed the album artwork in the id3 tag....when i did this Sage Was then able to pick up all the album artwork. Downloading through itunes doesn't embed the artwork in the file it simply adds an artwork file to the directory which sage may or maynot be able to read.
Old 03-18-2010, 10:58 AM
Sage Advanced User

Thanks for the reply. I checked out the tuneup website. Sounds promising. Does this program embed the album artwork in the file? Also the track info does that get saved to the original file?
Old 03-18-2010, 11:00 AM
Sage Icon

the program has options, so by this i mean that you have to tell it which songs you want to do a search on "wave analysis" and then tell it what to do. if you tell it to save all information it will embed all of the information into the mp3 id3 tag which is as you know also embeded into the mp3 file.

so short answer to your question is yes it embeds everything including the artwork.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:05 AM
Sage Advanced User

Ok I think I should give a try. Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:26 AM
Sage Icon

Looks interesting to me too. Once upon a time, I would spend hours trying to download artwork, rename tracks, and clean up artists (e.g., I *hate* having artists "Guns and Roses" and "Guns & Roses"). I have no time for this anymore.

$20 (or $30 for lifetime) would be well worth it if it really cleaned up this stuff. Might have to try the freebee version tonight.
Old 03-18-2010, 12:14 PM
Sage Icon

Its a pretty slick application. Runs under mac or windows. my only complaint about the app is that it will clean up the sncearion you are talking about yes

(G N R vs G & R)

BUT!!!!!

it will not rename the files, but will update the id3 tag for the file, which in turn is all that itunes uses. you have to use a different program to rename files based on id3 tags.
I use tag and rename to rename my files based on the newly cleaned pretty id3 tags.

tag and rename will let you do things such as:

filename mask
c:\location\music\<Album Artist>\<album>\<track #> - <artist> - <title>

its pretty versitile.

Last edited by PiX64; 03-18-2010 at 12:17 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:32 PM
Sage Aficionado

You can also use the free software iTSfv (iTunes Store file validator) to do a lot of the clean up including embed the artwork in the file. I have been using it for several months on my collection and it works great. It does what I need it to do; embed the artwork so it is available to SageTV.
Clients: 2xHD300, 2xHD200, 2xPS, Client
SageTV/Plugins: v7.1.9, SageDCT, SRE, Comm Det, Jetty, Web Server, Mob Web, PlayOn, E/D Fav, Fav Ex, MF Stop, Enc Names