SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Sage User

Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250 setup/install issue: Analog tuners not capturing CC text

System details:

XP Pro x64 w/ 2GB
Intel Q6600
2 x PVR-500's (4 analog tuners)
1 x WinTV-HVR-2250 (2 analog tuners -- only using them for analog, no QAM)
Recording basic analog cable

Issue: The HVR-2250 analog tuners are not recording any of the closed captioned text while all 4 of the PVR-500 tuners record closed captioned text with no issues.

I've reproduced this issue using many of the recording quality settings -- and the HVR-2250 tuners simply don't see the closed captioning.

I have un-installed/HWClear'd/re-installed everything and the problem still persists.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Anyone able to see CC text when using the analog tuners on a HVR-2250?

Thanks
Old 03-09-2010, 03:45 PM
Sage User

Just spoke to Hauppauge tech support and they stated that they haven't had issues with closed captioned text on analog recordings in their WinTV application nor in Windows Media Center... and were adamant that it had to be a SageTV issue.

Anyone have any insight or suggestions?
Old 03-09-2010, 06:20 PM
Sage Fanatic

Please check the PVR-500 and HVR-2250 recordings for CC with CCextractor.

If the captions are in the recording, CCextractor will find them.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:06 PM
Sage User

Thanks for the response.

I have CCExtractor monitoring my recording directory (via DirMon2) to automatically monitor and strip files once they stop recording... and recordings made w/ the PVR-500's do have CC text while recordings of the same programs using the 2250 tuners produce no CC text.

I've tested this on multiple recordings on multiple channels -- and recordings on the PVR-500's that have the CC text, these same programs don't have any CC text when recorded via the 2250.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:33 PM
Sage Fanatic

I would think that it would have to be a driver issue. Not recording the caption part of the stream.

You might try earlier drivers and see if Hauppauge recently broke their driver.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:23 PM
Sage User

I did manage to track down a couple of dated drivers and gave them a whirl... but to no avail.

Also, I did submit a support request to SageTV proper, and 2 days later I get this helpful response:

From support@sagetv.com:
We don't support close captioning in analog recordings, although certain
Hauppauge analog tuners will have them.
I probably spent 10 times the amount of time submitting my support request as SageTV did in formulating their response.

Even more laughable is the fact that this line of text appears smack in the middle of sagetv.com's main webpage in the product description for v6.6:
New Support for Closed Captioning and Subtitles
Seriously?!?! And then it takes your support 2 days to tell me you don't support a feature that is boldly mentioned on your website!?! I'm about to a point of being completely fed up with companies that not only expect -- but demand -- that their customers beta test their products for them. <sigh>
Old 07-01-2010, 11:40 AM
SageTVaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylork View Post
I did manage to track down a couple of dated drivers and gave them a whirl... but to no avail.

Also, I did submit a support request to SageTV proper, and 2 days later I get this helpful response:

From support@sagetv.com:
We don't support close captioning in analog recordings, although certain
Hauppauge analog tuners will have them.
I probably spent 10 times the amount of time submitting my support request as SageTV did in formulating their response.

Even more laughable is the fact that this line of text appears smack in the middle of sagetv.com's main webpage in the product description for v6.6:
New Support for Closed Captioning and Subtitles
Seriously?!?! And then it takes your support 2 days to tell me you don't support a feature that is boldly mentioned on your website!?! I'm about to a point of being completely fed up with companies that not only expect -- but demand -- that their customers beta test their products for them. <sigh>
did you ever find a solution for this problem? Is it the Hauppauge or Sage that is responsible, in your opinion?
Old 07-02-2010, 02:29 PM
Sage User

There is a new driver for the Hauppauge 2250 (6/10/2010 ??)..
Maybe it fixes the CC issue...?
Old 09-29-2010, 07:23 PM
Sage User

Taylork ==> Did you ever resolve this? I have exactly the same issue. Captions work fine with ClearQAM HD channels, but are not being recorded with the analog channels ... although they work fine for the same channels using either Windows Media Center or Hauppauge's WinTV application (so it's clearly not the card -- and not likely the drivers, since both of these applications are using the same drivers).