SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Sage Aficionado

Hauppauge HVR-2250 + HVR-1600 Remote/IR Issue

Hello. I was wondering if anyone can help me with my issue. Originally, I had the HVR-1600 as my only tuner card and was using the packaged IRBlaster and 45 button remote without issue. Recently, I picked up the HVR-2250 white box tuner (with out remote/IRBlaster) to install in my HTPC. I now have both tuners installed and working fine. Except now I am having some remote issues. I remember reading that you must have the IR receiver plugged into the top (closest to the CPU) card, so I have the receiver that came with the 1600 plugged into the IR input on the 2250. The remote appears to work fine except when you hold down a button (while fast forwarding for instance). When the remote used to be plugged into the 1600 and I released the fast forward button, it would quit and return to playing normally instantly. Now with the receiver plugged into the 2250, I will press and hold the fast forward button and when I release the button, it will continue to fast forward for a while before returning to play mode. The longer I hold the button, the longer it continues to fast forward after I release. The same thing happens when holding a button on the UI menus. So here are my questions:

1. Is there some setting I am missing to adjust delay/repeat button presses that will resolve this issue?
2. Could it be that the 1600 IR receiver is not really compatible with the 2250?
3. Is there a way to adjust settings (registry key or otherwise) so that I could use the 1600 for IR input, rather than the 2250?
4. Any other suggestions or things to check?

Eventually (soon hopefully), I will be going to a server/client setup and I will have to get a new remote anyway. Any suggestions you could give in the meantime would be appreciated.

PS - I have also tried the IR receiver in the 1600 and confirmed that it does not work when both cards are plugged in. I have also tried running the Hauppauge driver cleaner software and reinstalling all drivers and software. That did not do the trick either.
PSS - Does anyone have any good suggestions for an USB IR receiver that will work with the Hauppauge remote for under $45?
Old 03-07-2010, 10:06 PM
Sage Icon

You'll find your setup will work much better when you configure your system as a headless server and use a HD-200 at each TV. The remote at the TV will then be received by the HD-200, pass through the Eithernet to the server to control the Hauppauge cards.

I'd recommend the HD-200 extender instead of a client PC at each TV. Don't bother with the cheap MVP extender, the audio quality is much worse, the picture quality is also worse. The computer will have to transcode non-mpeg2 formats into mpeg2 on the fly since the MVP can only playback mpeg2. If your computer is too slow to transcode the video files, you will experience stuttering. The HD-200 plays back a number of different format directly, and works with a HD or SD TV.

I've found that the USB-UIRT worked much better than trying to use the Hauppauge IR devices. The price point is a bit higher than $45, but it is worth the price. The USB-UIRT has three zones to control 3 set top boxes. If the set top boxes have configurable IR channels or codes, then you can control more than 3 set top boxes with only one USB-UIRT.

Since you are not running a headless server, you will need to aim the USB-UIRT at both the set top boxes and the seating area of the room.

It might be helpful to also post your computer system specs.

Dave
Old 03-07-2010, 10:24 PM
Sage Aficionado

@davephan
Thanks for the response. Yes, I am quite anxious to move to a headless server and client/extender setup, but we are in the process of selling/buying a house and I would like to wait until we move. Like I said, at that point, the remote will not an issue because I will have to buy a new one (if I get a thin client) with a USB IR receiver anyway. I just thought if there was a simple fix that I could use now, that would be great. Other than the multiple button press issue, the remote works fine.
Sorry about the puter specs. I should get them in my signature. I'll work on that, but basically I am running the hvr-1600 and the hvr-2250 on a Windows XP Pro box with the latest build of SageTV and SageMC installed. Also of note, I tried a EventGhost (as opposed to the IR.exe app) with the 45 button remote and had the same issue. I also tried using the remote in a different software (Boxee) and had the issue as well.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:23 AM
Sage Icon

When you press the remote control button, do you have to press two times for each function? If so, you have to program SageTV for the each code the button sends.

There's a small free program called LrnHelper that runs independently from SageTV. LrnHelper displays the codes sent and can transmit codes. That utility might help you figure out what is going on. You can transmit a code like "1" to the LrnHelper program, then transmit three 1's to your set top box to switch to channel 111. If you can receive the codes with LrnHelper and transmit them, then you know that part of your setup is working.

The IR file might need tweaking, especially the "repeatcount" number.

Dave
Old 03-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Sage Aficionado

Dave, single button presses work fine. If I press the button once and release, it will advance one. When I hold the button down, it is almost as if the software is queuing or caching the repeat button presses rather than repeating and then stopping on release. Not unusable, just a minor annoyance.
BTW, I do not have a set top box. Just cable straight into my tuners.
Thanks.
Old 03-08-2010, 01:12 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptzink View Post
Dave, single button presses work fine. If I press the button once and release, it will advance one. When I hold the button down, it is almost as if the software is queuing or caching the repeat button presses rather than repeating and then stopping on release. Not unusable, just a minor annoyance.
BTW, I do not have a set top box. Just cable straight into my tuners.
Thanks.
Actually, that is how it works. When you hold a button down on your remote, it just keeps sending the same signal over and over until you release it. Pretty much the same thing happens if you hold a key down on your keyboard. The receiver can typically be programmed with a repeat delay so that it doesn't start repeating unless you hold the button down longer than some pre-determined amount of time (typically 1/2 second or so). As far as Sage or any other software is concerned it's the same as if you just kept hitting the button as fast as you could.

If the software can't keep up with the repeated button presses it may queue some of them up.

Sage has a couple of ways to fast forward. One is to skip forward by some amount of time (each button press jumps forward by 5 or 10 seconds or whatever amount you set). The other is smooth fast forward, where each button press increases the playback speed. Neither of those really works well if you hold the button down.
Source:
Comcast/Xfinity X1 Cable
Primary Client: Server Other Clients: (1) HD200, (1) HD300
Retired Equipment: MediaMVP, PVR150 (x2), PVR150MCE,
HDHR, HVR-2250, HD-PVR
Old 03-08-2010, 01:22 PM
Sage Aficionado

Thanks Tiki. I am pretty certain it is not a Sage issue since I am using the same remote and same IR receiver as before and I didn't have the problem. Also, the behavior happens whether I am fast forwarding, scrolling through UI menus, or doing anything while holding down a button.

Tags
hvr-1600, hvr-2250, ir receiver, remote, repeat delay