SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:11 PM
Sage Icon

Server Mobos

Anyone here using a Server mobo? What are you using, what O/S?

I'm noticing some strangeness on my WHS server, not positive what's going on, but for once would like to get ahead of any drama and research what server mobos people are using with success. I need a server one as I have a Highpoint RAID card, and these things don't seem to work well in consumer mobos.

Thanks.
Old 02-13-2010, 06:58 AM
Sage Icon

Im a big fan of Supermicro. Currently I'm using this one with a Q6600. The main reason i bought this one was A) supermicro, and B) it had pci-x (for my raid card). I use windows 2003 for the OS, also love it... mainly because unlike whs i can image the os drive and restore it very very easily...
Check out TVExplorer
Old 02-13-2010, 09:46 AM
Sage Icon

heh, i have the SuperMicro C2SBC. You have the C2SBX, I wonder if that's the newer version...
Old 02-13-2010, 12:21 PM
SageTVaholic

I'm also happily running a Supermicro server mobo on my WHS box. I'm going to mention my routine caution about using RAID under WHS due to it not being officially supported and the potential for issues during a restore.
Tuners: 2 x HD-PVR (HTTP tuning), 2 x HDHR, USB-UIRT
Software: SageTV 7
Old 02-13-2010, 06:01 PM
Sage User

Dell 2550

I picked up a few Dell PowerEdge 2550 server boxes. I intended to use them for files servers.

Does anyone have any ideas of their usefullness in relationship to the various things people do with Sage?

Just an aside, why can't I see my mapped network drive so that I can write captured video to it directly? Right now I have to save locally and move manually.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:54 PM
Sage Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zinc View Post
I picked up a few Dell PowerEdge 2550 server boxes. I intended to use them for files servers.

Does anyone have any ideas of their usefullness in relationship to the various things people do with Sage?
what kind of processor is in it? Comskip, on the fly transcoding (for placeshifter clients), and compressing (for long term storage) are the most common CPU intensive operations....

Quote:
Just an aside, why can't I see my mapped network drive so that I can write captured video to it directly? Right now I have to save locally and move manually.
what do you mean you can not see your mapped drive? Does windows (assumption since you didnt specify) see the drive? Try entering the path in directly in sage with the "specify..." command.... a word of caution... if you have multiple clients they must all see the media at the same path. Because of this most of us use UNC pathnames (\\ServerName\Share) file structures... Even if you only have one client it saves a lot of headaches farther down the road when you decide you want to throw a client in the mix...
Check out TVExplorer