SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:12 PM
Sage User

HDHR drops signal from one tuner & skips at program change

So I just got an HDHR - I split my Comcast cable, and have 2 feeds hooked into the back of the HDHR. Not sure if it makes a difference, but for my setup, I'm using a HP Mediasmart Server running the Server edition of Sage 6.5 and have a MediaMVP as a front end.

I'm having two issues.

1 - I haven't pinpointed specific conditions where this happens, but every so often (maybe once a week or so), one of the 2 tuners on my HDHR drops its signal entirely. I don't notice it until one program is recording, and I try to tune into another channel and I get a "No Signal" message. Then I go to "Setup Video Sources" and try to preview a channel and it says 0% signal.

Anyone have any ideas on why this might be happening? I keep thinking I setup something wrong, but the fact that the system works maybe 80% of the time suggests I didn't.

2 - The second problem is simply that every time I'm watching a channel and the "program" changes, there's a 1-2 second gap. Meaning, if I'm watching a show that "goes over" its time slot by a minute or so, when the program guide sees the change from one program to the next, it drops signal for a second and the screen goes black, then it picks back up. This can be disruptive during sports or shows that run over their time slot. Is this just a problem with the HDHR? I don't remember this happening when I used to use PVR-150 cards.

I'm open to ideas and suggestions.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:58 PM
Sage User

Hello,

1) If you have not already done so, please upgrade to the latest HDHomeRun software from http://www.silicondust.com/downloads

2) Run HDHomeRun Setup, enable Send diagnostic information... on the Advanced tab and click Apply

3) Click Rescan on the Tuners tab

4) Click Scan on the Channels tab

5) Reproduce the 'no signal' issue

Reply back with the device ID for your HDHomeRun and the time the issue occurred and I will check the logs. For fastest response, you may want to post this on our forums or submit a trouble ticket.

http://www.silicondust.com/forum/index.php
http://www.silicondust.com/tickets

For the second issue, most PVR programs will stop and restart the stream when switching the file that is being recorded to. When using a digital tuner, the video is already coming in encoded from the broadcaster or cable provider, so you don't have the luxury of stopping and starting at any arbitrary point like you do with an analog tuner. There will be a brief delay while waiting for a frame that can be decoded.

Jason
Silicondust
Old 01-28-2010, 07:01 PM
Sage User

Wow, great to see you guys are monitoring posts here too. I will see if I can replicate the problem, and will post the info requested - probably on both boards so people can see what's going on.
Old 01-29-2010, 11:38 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradlewa View Post
So I just got an HDHR -
1 - I haven't pinpointed specific conditions where this happens, but every so often (maybe once a week or so), one of the 2 tuners on my HDHR drops its signal entirely. I don't notice it until one program is recording, and I try to tune into another channel and I get a "No Signal" message. Then I go to "Setup Video Sources" and try to preview a channel and it says 0% signal.

Anyone have any ideas on why this might be happening? I keep thinking I setup something wrong, but the fact that the system works maybe 80% of the time suggests I didn't.
With the latest firmware from Silicondust. - 1/**/2010

Was experiencing (last night) the same problem with 6.59 over OTA. Got to a point with after scanning and previewing everthing played OK. Enabled Sage server and lost some of my channels. Re-scanned for about an hour. The same thing would occur. (losing some channels in the preview)

Decided to put on 6.62 and all the updates. With the server enabled it kept the channels .
This morning still had the channels. So I'm hoping.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:55 AM
Sage User

So the problem of one of the tuners dropping to 0% signal hasn't happened all that often, but it is still occurring. I specifically noticed it last night (2/20/2010) @ ~11:00 or 11:30 pm EST. I will post this over on the SiliconDust forums as well, but I wanted to make a note of it here too.
Old 05-02-2010, 01:33 AM
Sage User

So this problem is still happening. It doesn't appear to be a HDHR problem since using the HRHD Config GUI, I can see that signal strength is fine for both tuners, and I can preview channels in the Setup program for HDHR just fine as well.

The problem it seems is that when I try to set up my second tuner in SageTV, for some reason I do not receive a signal. One thing I noticed is that Sage tries to setup that tuner as receiving a ATSC signal, even though it should be QAM. This is despite the fact that I enter use tuner for Cable TV and not Antenna/Broadcast.

Anyone know if this could be why I do not receive a signal from this tuner, and how to fix it?

Thanks.
Old 05-02-2010, 12:29 PM
SageTVaholic

Did you follow the setup instructions completely? Most importantly, did you do a channel scan in sage ON EACH TUNER?

unRAID Server: i7-6700, 32GB RAM, Dual 128GB SSD cache and 13TB pool, with SageTVv9, openDCT, Logitech Media Server and Plex Media Server each in Dockers.
Sources: HRHR Prime with Charter CableCard. HDHR-US for OTA.
Primary Client: HD-300 through XBoxOne in Living Room, Samsung HLT-6189S
Other Clients: Mi Box in Master Bedroom, HD-200 in kids room