SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > SageTV Products > SageTV Software
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

SageTV Software Discussion related to the SageTV application produced by SageTV. Questions, issues, problems, suggestions, etc. relating to the SageTV software application should be posted here. (Check the descriptions of the other forums; all hardware related questions go in the Hardware Support forum, etc. And, post in the customizations forum instead if any customizations are active.)

Old 01-26-2010, 10:33 AM
Sage User

Server / Client Setup

I am looking at doing the Server/Client setup for my house.

This might seem like a strange question but, what licence do I need? Right now I have one placeshifter, and the Regular Sage TV.

Should I get clients for the other TVs or placeshifters? Also what is the MVP?

Thanks,
Marc
Old 01-26-2010, 11:37 AM
Sage Icon

Don’t get an MVP. You’re far better off with an HD200. Plus, with the HD200 you don’t need additional licenses. Just plug and play.

I have an MVP and an HD200. Hands down the better hardware is the HD200. Also, with an MVP all the trnascoding is done on the server and then played back only in SD. HD200 takes a stream from the server without transcoding it allowing a much less powerful server to be used all the way up to 1080P. The UI response of the HD200 far surpasses that of the MVP too.
Old 01-26-2010, 11:39 AM
Sage Expert

I would recommend a SageTV client license for each client machine that will not be used outside your home network. The advantage of client is that the decoders and interface is handled by the client computer. The server just provides the content files and recording/scheduling data.

Placeshifter is actually streaming the interface and the content over your wireless connection and the placeshifter app is just handling the connection. Client makes better use of the client hardware but can't easily be used outside your home network or over less than ideal connections.

The downside of client licenses is that they are required for each installed copy. Vice placeshifter licenses which are useage based (you can have 5 copies of the software installed on 5 different machines but if you only have 2 licenses only two copies can be used at once).

A MVP is a stand-alone playback device. They have been replaced by the HD-200's which are more powerful and more flexable. The nice part is they're a CE type device, so it's essentially plug-and-play and just works. The downside is they are not as flexable as a PC-based client. Unless someone is giving you the MVP I would not recommend buying one, get the HD-200 instead (it comes with it's own license).
Laptop: HP dm3z, AMD (1.6 GHz) 4 GB RAM, 60 GB OCZ SSD, AMD HD3200 graphics, 13.3" widescreen LCD, Windows 7 x64/Sage placeshifter.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:13 PM
Sage User

ok that explains about the client, now the HD-200s do they come with a client license or do I need to get one if I get one of them, and would they make good clients? I am not ontop of the HD-200s

Thanks for all your help,
Scavenger
Old 01-26-2010, 03:52 PM
Sage User

The HD200 price includes the license. No need to purchase separate license for it. It also comes with network cable and HDMI cord among other things!

I trialed the client software and have to say I enjoy the HD200. I don't have to set up my laptop to the tv every time I want to use Sage in the living room.

And the HD200 was a lot less $, smaller and quiter than a dedicated HTPC.
Old 01-28-2010, 10:48 AM
Sage Advanced User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinook View Post

And the HD200 was a lot less $, smaller and quiter than a dedicated HTPC.

... and much quieter!

Jim