SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > General Discussion > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

General Discussion General discussion about SageTV and related companies, products, and technologies.

Old 12-11-2003, 12:46 PM
Sage Aficionado

Send a message via Yahoo to sixdoubleo
Does the PVR-350 have a place in a Client/Server Setup?

From what I can tell, the only benefit of the PVR-350 over the 250 is the hardware MPEG DE-coder. Correct? Aren't they both a hardware MPEG EN-coder?

In that case, the benefit of the 350 only comes into play when you are DISPLAYING videos, correct?

In a setup where my PVR cards are on a server in the back room, and my client PC is connected to my HDTV via the VGA port, would there really be any reason to use a 350???
Old 12-11-2003, 12:58 PM

350 will never come into play when you are using HDTV. It is for older standard TV. However, you are right that even if you had a SD TV you would not be able to use it on the client UNLESS you are also running a network encoder from that client. Not sure if that would work either though .
Old 12-11-2003, 01:00 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally posted by mlbdude
350 will never come into play when you are using HDTV. It is for older standard TV. However, you are right that even if you had a SD TV you would not be able to use it on the client UNLESS you are also running a network encoder from that client. Not sure if that would work either though .
I think you misunderstood... I am not "using" HDTV....I simply HAVE an HDTV. I am displaying standard NTSC on it through the HTPC's VGA port.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:25 PM

Same thing. You are using a TV that wants a progressive input. Standard TV's want an interlaced input. Your VGA port ouputs in progressive, and the 350 outputs in interlaced format.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally posted by mlbdude
Same thing. You are using a TV that wants a progressive input. Standard TV's want an interlaced input. Your VGA port ouputs in progressive, and the 350 outputs in interlaced format.
So since I'm using the Overlay, and NOT the output of the 350, I really wouldnt see much benefit from a 350.
Old 12-11-2003, 01:41 PM

Nope, video would look worse.
Old 12-11-2003, 02:13 PM
Administrator

I thought the original question was referring to whether having the 350 installed in the server made any difference to the output on the client. If that is what the question is, then no -- any output card on your server won't affect output on your client. If your server machine is not being used for any output, having a 350 on it would be pointless.

- Andy
Old 12-11-2003, 02:38 PM
Sage Aficionado

Quote:
Originally posted by Opus4
I thought the original question was referring to whether having the 350 installed in the server made any difference to the output on the client.
Correct. I have no card on the client(s). Only on the server. And I guess my question would be better asked as "Isn't it true that the 350's benefits are utilized only in playback and NOT in recordng?"....in which case both of you have answered my question.

Thank you!
Old 12-11-2003, 05:09 PM
Sage Icon

In my setup, I have a PVR-350 in the client. I run a copy of SageRecorder in order to utilize its record capability and SageTV Client so I can playback through the hardware decoder. I do have some problems when I am both recording and playing back at the same time, but that is due to the fact that I am running on a whimpy processor and I still have software decoding enabled (which I believe is required until SageTV 2 comes out). IMHO, the output of the 350 looks flawless, even at long duration recording (at least as good as my TiVo was).
Old 12-13-2003, 08:19 PM
Sage User

So anyone ever compare the output of an Xcard with the output of a PVR-350?

As I recall, specwise the Xcard is better. And on my own machine using a PVR-250 - Xcard setup, I'm getting cable quality video & only 10% or less CPU utilization.

I'm just curious for when I recommend what hardware to use in another PVR. The Sage / PVR-250 / Xcard setup works great, but was a bit cumbersome to setup. I'm still trying to get the remote to work the way I want it to.
Old 12-13-2003, 10:47 PM
Administrator

I don't know if the output quality differs greatly between the two cards, but if they happen to be similar in that regard, there are other reasons someone might pick one over the other...

The xcard can play DVDs, which the 350 doesn't, and it supports more types of output connections.

If machine space is a consideration, the 350 gives you a decoder and encoder on one card, using just one PCI slot, where the xcard requires using either two PCI slots or one PCI plus one USB encoder.

I think the xcard is more useful due to DVD support, but the 350 certainly has its place. So, before recommending one, find out what is more important.

BTW -- what's the problem you are having with the remote? (And, which one: the 250's remote or the one for the xcard?)

- Andy
Old 12-14-2003, 12:42 AM
Sage Icon

Send a message via MSN to mikejaner
I agree. The Xcard is better for output, if you have a need for component out and or progressive scan output. For those of us who just want to replace our Tivo and who only have standard def tv's, the 350 is perfect. Plus the 350 is a good place holder until Xcard is supported by Sage. I can wait for my DVD output till then. I will buy an Xcard, the day it's supported.
mikejaner
Old 12-14-2003, 03:14 AM
Sage User

Thanks guys, one thing about Sage over any other PVR setup... the support network is the best. Sounds like for conventional TIVO type use, the 350 is the way to go. Currently I own a DVD player, and it's not likely I'm going to go with a DVD drive in the PC anytime soon. In fact, I'm thinking it might be better to run one of Go Video's network aware DVD players instead of a Media MVP.

So my current remote problem is getting Girder to use the Haupaugge remote to control Sage. Works fine with Haupaugge's software, but it won't take control of Sage when it's not in focus. I understand Girder will allow that to take place, which would allow me to use the remote without having to go to the computer everytime I needed to get Sage to be in focus again.
Old 12-14-2003, 03:31 AM
Administrator

I don't use Girder, but I do use the Hauppauge remote to control Sage, my FM radio software, checking email, and a few other basic things. When using Sage, I avoid the problem of losing control via the remote since I usually don't run anything else while wacthing TV, so nothing else has a chance to grab focus.

When running the FM radio, though, focus can shift while using other apps. Then, the center button of the remote (between channel up/down and volume up/down) brings up the Windows task switcher, so I can switch focus back to the radio via the remote. This doesn't work when using Sage, though, since the remote's control app is forced into "Sage" mode when starting Sage. For other apps, the remote is in the mode of whatever app has focus & some buttons have default values... thus the ability to start the task switcher. I may look into changing that forced Sage-mode setting. (It is 4:30 am, so I hope this paragraph makes sense!)

BTW, here are the codes for the IRREMOTE.INI file settings. Using this info, it is fairly easy to extend the file to allow you to control other applications.

- Andy