SageTV Community  

Go Back   SageTV Community > Hardware Support > Hardware Support
Forum Rules FAQs Community Downloads Today's Posts Search

Notices

Hardware Support Discussions related to using various hardware setups with SageTV products. Anything relating to capture cards, remotes, infrared receivers/transmitters, system compatibility or other hardware related problems or suggestions should be posted here.

Old 01-05-2010, 03:57 PM
Sage User

Need help avoiding HD-PVR install/usage troubles...

hi there -

we are on a comcast system and they recently switched everything to digital and moved around channels so that our hvr-1800 no longer tunes in channels like bravo. as a result, i've decided it's a reasonable time to upgrade to an hd-pvr based system.

so, i ordered a new and fast computer (an hp elite with intel core 2 quad processor, 8gb ddr3, etc, etc) and an hd-pvr, both of which just arrived. before i start the process of disabling/uninstalling our existing system and installing the new system, i was hoping to avoid any unnecessary pain. my wife hates any glitches and so the smoother i can make the process, the better! if someone can point me to a good description of what to do (or not to do), i'd greatly appreciate it. and also, if there are any other tips/suggestions, that'd be great also. i'm sure i'm not the first one in this boat and so am hoping to benefit from the knowledge of those who have gone before.

thanks!
tu
Old 01-05-2010, 09:56 PM
Sage Icon

The best advice I could give to you is to follow the instructions found in the link in my signature. The HD-PVR setup is a little counter intuitive with regards to Sage.

Also, make sure the HD-PVR is kept as cool as possible. This means that you do NOT place it on top of your STB. Some even turn the unit on its side to help air flow.
OpenDCT
HD-300 HD Extenders (hooked to my whole-house A/V system for synched playback on multiple TVs - great during a Superbowl party)
Amazon Firestick 4k and Nvidia Shield using the MiniClient
Using CQC to control it all
Old 01-06-2010, 09:36 AM
Sage Aficionado

Lock your cable box to one res, I use 720p.

Plug the HD-PVR into a port soldered directly to the motherboard. Make sure no other high-bandwidth devices, like a hard drive are plugged into the same header.

Install one at a time.

Block the ir port on the front.

Set your tuning delay to 4000.